Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #1726
famfam
Enthusiast
famfam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Tried k2pdfopt with pdf-document in gothic script (german Frakturschrift). The results are to small for me for reading on my device Kobo Clara HD (1072 x 1448 resolution). So until now I have to use my tablet for reading it. That is why I am looking for a 'How to' for pdf in gothic script (german Frakturschrift). Did anyone test the k2pdfopt with Frakturschrift and got good results for his device?

Last edited by famfam; 01-08-2020 at 07:54 AM.
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #1727
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
Tried k2pdfopt with pdf-document in gothic script (german Frakturschrift). The results are to small for me for reading on my device Kobo Clara HD (1072 x 1448 resolution). So until now I have to use my tablet for reading it. That is why I am looking for a 'How to' for pdf in gothic script (german Frakturschrift). Did anyone test the k2pdfopt with Frakturschrift and got good results for his device?
If you can post the source file, or a couple pages from the source file, I can recommend some settings to you. Or PM it to me.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #1728
famfam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
If you can post the source file, or a couple pages from the source file, I can recommend some settings to you. Or PM it to me.
You can find the source files (pdf) on archive.org.

In the meanwhile I had some succes with the following 2 books in frakturschrift(gothic script):
Eduard Bernstein:
1) Die Geschichte der Berliner Arbeiterbewegung Band 2
2) Sozialismus und Demokratie in der Englischen Revolution

I found them in the internet (legal sources, copyright out of date, author dead since 1932)

I can send you my results from k2pdfopt by pm. I would be happy, if you could find a better way with better results. (How to?)
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #1729
famfam
Enthusiast

Quote:
I try to append the (cropped and cleaned) source files here.

Sorry, did not work ->

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #1730
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I try to append the (cropped and cleaned) source files here.

Sorry, did not work ->

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
The files you are trying to send are probably too big. I'm not sure what the limit is. Is there a link you can send for any of the source files.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #1731
famfam
Enthusiast

@willus
Here are the links:

1) Die Geschichte der Berliner Arbeiterbewegung Band 2

https://archive.org/download/diegesc...01berngoog.pdf

or (better)

https://archive.org/download/bub_gb_...knAQAAIAAJ.pdf

and

2) Sozialismus und Demokratie in der Englischen Revolution

https://archive.org/download/bub_gb_...NCAAAAYAAJ.pdf

I don't know how to send my results to you as pm. May be that they are too big. But I zipped them in part of 20 mb. But no success. Can I send them to you by email, and could you send me a pm with your email-address please.
And sure, I cleaned the originel files from empty or unneedet pages, cropped them and so on. Would be easier for you to work with.

Last edited by famfam; 01-16-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #1732
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
@willus
Here are the links ...
I don't know how to send my results to you as pm. May be that they are too big. But I zipped them in part of 20 mb. But no success. Can I send them to you by email, and could you send me a pm with your email-address please.
And sure, I cleaned the originel files from empty or unneedet pages, cropped them and so on. Would be easier for you to work with.
I have no recommendation for the first file. It is so random--every page seems to be formatted differently. The second file is a more conventional book. I attached two conversions--one using "fit width" and one using larger font and word wrap. I just converted the first 25 pages. Here are the commands:

k2pdfopt -m 0.13in,0.2in,0.13in,0.45in -mode fw -ls- -p 1-25 -o conv_fw.pdf file2.pdf

k2pdfopt -m 0.13in,0.2in,0.13in,0.45in -mag 1.5 -p 1-25 -o conv_wrap.pdf file2.pdf

The -m option crops out the Google watermark.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf conv_fw.pdf (1.19 MB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf conv_wrap.pdf (5.05 MB, 6 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #1733
famfam
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have no recommendation for the first file. It is so random--every page seems to be formatted differently.
I just found a better version of 'Die Geschichte der Berliner Arbeiterbewegung. Teil 2'.
And it was this version, I hat worked with. I only couldn't find the link to it.
Now I found the link in my jpdownloader.

https://archive.org/download/bub_gb_...knAQAAIAAJ.pdf

I now will test your settings.

My procedure is, to clean the files in 'foxit phantom pdf' or in 'adobe acrobat' (cropping is very fast in acrobat). For deleting headers or footers, that are close too to the text, I use the Foxit 'Comment rectangular function'. I also delete all pages (cover, title page, table of contents, dedication, copyright, index), except for the text pages, notes, footnotes, bibliography before editing with k2topdfopt. That is necessary for getting better results. After the k2pdfopt process I add Cover, title page, dedication, copyright. TOC I do manually with Foxit. OCR: Is it better to do ocr with k2pdfop or is it better to do ocr before with Foxit. I think for Frakturschrift I should do it with k2pdfopt and Tesseract traindata. So I did it.

So many questions. Why?
Because I want to know whether cleaning up with Foxit and cutting with Acrobat will unnecessarily inflate the file and how to get smaller files.
Thanks a lot for helping me finding better solutions.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools