Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #151
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
A color eink monitor isn't going to work well for things like video. Heck, even web browsing static text pages might be painful due to having to scroll on a screen whose refresh rate might be measured in seconds per fram.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #152
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
If you want the other features of the pro version you could purchase the stand alone full version (not the in app from the free version) from the Play store using a Google account on another device (or via the web). You can then log in using that account on the Aurora store (from f-droid) and download your purchase. Note (a) I have not done this with Moon reader myself but am pretty sure I read somewhere of someone else having success. It will definitely get it on the A5 - just a question of if it will run without GPS. (b) you may not want to use your main google account to do this as there is a small risk of google locking your account. Set up a dummy account with a gift card is an option if your google account is critical to you.
I can now confirm that this does indeed work. Set up a dummy Google account. Bought a gift card. Purchased the app (Moon+ Reader Pro) on another device. Then signed into my dummy account using the Aurora Store and downloaded the app to my A5.

It took a few attempts, but it worked. Was then able to transfer my settings from the free Moon+ Reader which I had already installed to the Pro version and everything is working grand.

Don't know how well such a method would work for subscription apps or for apps that require ongoing communication with Play Services. However, for one time purchases, it seems to work fine.

Still I'm not sure that I would log in with my regular Google account to get already purchased apps just in case they decided to close my account. So it means that I have to purchase any such apps twice. Luckily, the few paid apps which I use are fairly inexpensive.

Thanks again for this info.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #153
cartz
Connoisseur
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I can now confirm that this does indeed work.
That's great to hear. Glad I could be of help.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #154
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
Vertigo and Dizziness here. How to set up the phone to solve this problem completely? (Still waiting for package so thanks in advance)
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #155
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense A6, Kingrow K1, Toughpad 4K, kyobo mirasol ereader
via Reddit:

Quote:
you can still install some old, limited version of google services: open the hisense app store app, then search for "google", and one of the apps displayed in the results, whose name is "go-then mandarin language stuff" will install google play services and other essential google stuff for you after you open it and launch the process. One major reason to do it is that many apps need it for push services, including email and instant messaging apps like bluemail and telegram. I could install whatsapp easily, maps as well...
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #156
Villain
Villain began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
A color eink monitor isn't going to work well for things like video. Heck, even web browsing static text pages might be painful due to having to scroll on a screen whose refresh rate might be measured in seconds per fram.
Yes, but it's better than nothing. I can't use LED baclit monitors because of my extreme light intolerance. I'm still using a CRT monitor (!), which won't last forever and is not very portable so an color e-ink monitor would be a dream come true for me.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #157
cartz
Connoisseur
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Also worth noting from the reddit thread is that someone installed MicroG which is a non Google alternative. I won't be trying these as I want my phone Google free.

Last edited by cartz; 01-13-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 AM   #158
Villain

Can anyone help with the following:

How do you remove the screenshots pinned to lockscreen? The phone says I will finds those screenshots in "pinned" but I can't find any "pinned" folder or anything like that in settings. I tried the phone's search and still nothing. Those pinned screenshots do not appear in the "screenshorts" folder in pictures either. I want to get rid of them from the lockscreen for good cuz I often activate them accidentally.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 AM   #159
cartz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post

How do you remove the screenshots pinned to lockscreen? The phone says I will finds those screenshots in "pinned" but I can't find any "pinned" folder or anything like that in settings. I tried the phone's search and still nothing. Those pinned screenshots do not appear in the "screenshorts" folder in pictures either. I want to get rid of them from the lockscreen for good cuz I often activate them accidentally.
Settings - Lock screen, desktop and wallpaper - ...

I set mine to Wallpaper and turn off the Display screen shot button.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 AM   #160
cartz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
Vertigo and Dizziness here. How to set up the phone to solve this problem completely? (Still waiting for package so thanks in advance)
I would guess you'll want to have the front light off. Once the phone turns on, touch the screen button on the bottom right of the phone. Then choose Off. Assuming you are OK with an e-ink device then that should be all you need to do.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #161
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post

It's a feature which I really like, but, like you, I was accidentally triggering screenshots that I didn't want to appear on the lockscreen. After much experimenting, I finally found a way to reliably bring up the pinned images viewer:

From the Homescreen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen with a single finger. I find that long swipes tend to work best. It may take a couple of tries.

From there, you can select any of the "pinned" images and delete them.

To collapse the pinned images viewer and return to the Homescreen, swipe down with a single finger towards the bottom of the screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #162
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
It's a feature which I really like, but, like you, I was accidentally triggering screenshots that I didn't want to appear on the lockscreen. After much experimenting, I finally found a way to reliably bring up the pinned images viewer:

From the Homescreen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen with a single finger. I find that long swipes tend to work best. It may take a couple of tries.

From there, you can select any of the "pinned" images and delete them.

To collapse the pinned images viewer and return to the Homescreen, swipe down with a single finger towards the bottom of the screen.
Thanks for that!
I also found another way to delete them last night. You can find the pinned screenshots in the MY FILES folder -- Inernal Storage -- Android -- obb -- einklauncher -- eink pinned.
But your way is easier
I agree they can be useful but I pinned random stuff to see how it works and my lockscreen was full of nonsense for a while.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM   #163
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
I can't believe there is no way to put Google play services on it... Anyone?
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #164
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I bought this now from cect shop as a present for someone, thanks to the early adopters here.

Don't know if I would upgrade, as I'm not sure if it has dual sim and fast charging(?), two things I like about my old a2pro.

I've just realized the weight of this phone is within 10g of a rather light samsung galaxy, very light.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; Yesterday at 08:38 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #165
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i86ML Plus, Boyue Likebook Note, Onyx Boox Note, HiSense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
I can't believe there is no way to put Google play services on it... Anyone?
Actually bought this phone because it expressedly didn't have any Google Play on it due to privacy concerns. Unfortunately the phone appears to be "equipped" with the chinese equivalents for these services and i'm not sure if this is a good thing either...

If you only require to access the Google Play Store, than i'd recommend installation of the alternate app store https://f-droid.org/FDroid.apk which in turn offers https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store that allows to access to and installation from the Google Play Store.

But if you actually do require the whole Google Framework then this would probably not suffice.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote