Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
JayOf72
JayOf72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire Demo
Kindle Fire Demo Unit...Remove Demo 'Software'?

Hello
Not sure exactly where to ask this (or if its even allowed here..if not can a mod just delete?)

So anyway I got a Kindle Fire, but its a "demo unit". It has this this demonstration software/thing that auto-runs when you turn it on (and all settings are locked out).

My question is: Is there a way to hack/root one of these and simply 'turn off' the auto-running demo? Or if that can't be done, esentually delete/re-install the OS? (hopefully being able to save the existing audio/etc files off it)

I tried google'ing some. but couldn't really find anything...I saw some info on installing google stuff but on a normal fire. I'm not looking to install anything like that on it, just set it back to being a normal kindle.
Oh and if possible gain access to the 'hosts' file (assuming a Kindle has one).
JayOf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You'll have to flash a CyanogenMod ROM since the serial wouldn't pass by Amazon. You CAN try try at least flashing a recovery, and then taking the latest update for your model, and changing BIN to ZIP and see if after you put it back in if that helps any, but I doubt it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
JayOf72

Thanks for the info.
I do remember reading somewhere that the serial on these demo units will actually pass on Amazon.

Google'ing "CyanogenMod" lead me to another forum (from there I found numorus links/downloads/info .. all related to stock units, but maybe its worth a try anyway).

From what I can tell (by looking around at various sites) rooting even a stock Fire is a long drawn out & complex process (certainly looks do-able though...some of the commands look unix/linux 'ish )

A 'stock' Kindle ROM is 200mb .. and guess I need a 100mb 'Android SDK' too downloading thats gonna take awhile LOL

Last edited by JayOf72; 01-20-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOf72 View Post
Thanks for the info.
I do remember reading somewhere that the serial on these demo units will actually pass on Amazon.

Google'ing "CyanogenMod" lead me to another forum (from there I found numorus links/downloads/info .. all related to stock units, but maybe its worth a try anyway).

From what I can tell (by looking around at various sites) rooting even a stock Fire is a long drawn out & complex process (certainly looks do-able though...some of the commands look unix/linux 'ish )

A 'stock' Kindle ROM is 200mb .. and guess I need a 100mb 'Android SDK' too downloading thats gonna take awhile LOL
Actually, it's not too painful to root a Fire. After the few necessary files were downloaded, it took about ten minutes to root it and boot it up as a tablet.

Go ahead and give it a try.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, and just get it to where you have a recovery. That's the main step.
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
JayOf72

I believe I've downloaded all the files I need

I think I got the drivers that came with 'Kindle Fire Utility' to install correctly...
In Device Manager I now have
-Android Phone
--Android Composite ADB Device

-Disk drives
--Amazon Kindle USB Device

but I don't think its working (might be the 'demo' is blocking access?)
If I do a fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product it simply remains at < waiting for device >

running fastboot devices lists nothing.
same for adb devices

Do I maybe need to get a 'Factory Cable' for this one?

--------edited to add---------
Sometimes if I turn the kindle off & back on while connected to the computer it will give an error:
Cannot play video

An error occurred while trying to play your video. The video
may have been interrupted or is in an unsupported format.
Please try again
(OK)

tap on the 'ok' button & the just screen stays lighted but dark (and it doesn't charge)
so I think the 'demo' basically crashes (but I still can't access the unit)

---------
and one time I got:
The application Status Bar (process com.android.systemui)
has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again
(Force Close)

I tapped 'force close', then it gave the above video error, I clicked 'ok'
Then the demo ran normally

Last edited by JayOf72; 01-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Try this?

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
JayOf72

Thanks,
I read through that site & setup/downloaded from some of the links.
Still couldn't get ADB to 'see' the Fire..

One thing on that page it says is
Quote:
connect your Kindle Fire to ADB, you must first enable ADB on your device, and then complete the setup steps for your platform.

1. On your device, go to Settings.
Note: This does not apply to Kindle Fire (1st Generation), which has ADB enabled by default.
2. Under Security, turn Enable ADB to On, and then click OK in the pop-up warning message.
I can't get into settings on the Kindle Fire (since its a 'demo' thats locked out)...I believe mine is a 1st Generation.

Since its inexpensive, I eBay'ed one of those "factory cables", so I think that'll be my next 'test' (won't arrive til sometime in Feb though)

Last edited by JayOf72; 01-24-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Just a thought, have you tried restoring the unit via settings, there is a restore to factory on some android units. Don't know if the restore file would have the demo junk or not.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
JayOf72

Kindle Fire's do normally have a restore to factory option in their settings.
Unfortunately that part of the settings is locked out.

I've also read that in the initial setup of a Kindle Fire one of the options is "store demo" which leads me to believe that if a factory restore/reset type thing might put it back to that point..

Last edited by JayOf72; 01-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
JayOf72

ok...
well that 'factory cable' arrived today, and although it does not work (doesn't put the kindle in fastboot mode like its supposed to)...I do get a different response than before:

When connected the kindle turns on and stays at the screen that says "kindle fire"
The computer pops up a message "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned ...."
Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
saralee
saralee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Did you ever remove the demo mode I am having the same problem !!!!
saralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
JayOf72

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it, I even tried a 2nd computer incase there was an issue with the original one. But still no luck.

I'm almost wondering if there's something _inside_ the kindle (maybe a jumper or something along that line) that they set at the factory? Doesn't look like the thing can be taken apart or I'd be tempted to look in it...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Evilis
Evilis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hiiii! Have you found a solution? I am going through the same issue.
Evilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
JayOf72

No, I never did.
But I also was quite busy over the summer & fall, and other than plugging it in a few times to keep it charged, I never really touched the Kindle.

Hoping to get some time to 'play' with it more after the holidays.