Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #16
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Well Borders in the US officially sold me a Kobo. They certainly knew where I lived and they charged me extra for the international post to get it to me. I didn't do anything sneaky to get my Kobo - no false address, no forwarding company.
I assume baggins did the same as he indicated that he was initially charged international postage.
As such if you had Baggins issues (close to a DOA) you would normally deal with the retailer directly (at least that is what I would expect) - Borders US, which should have resulted in a new one being sent out from Borders. Just saying situation is a little unusual because of Borders' current closure.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
JudyD
JudyD began at the beginning.

Hello -- Just read the post about KOBOs return policy and have a story to tell about Kindle that might add to the discussion. Yesterday, I borrowed my mother's Kindle. Having cleaned my bookshelves of about 75 books, I decided that an e-reader might help lessen any further accumulation of books. With the Kindle, KOBO, and NOOK all in the running, I was having a difficult time choosing which would be right for me. My mother -- 87 years old -- received the Kindle about two years ago. She read two electronic books on it and then went back to the paper variety. Electronic gagits just aren't her thing. So I borrowed her Kindle, took it home. Tried to charge it. NOTHING. I called customer support. Within a minute I had help over the phone. The support person and I experimented with the Kindle and then I set it up to charge again. Support called back in 45 minutes to see if what we did, worked. It didn't. So, he asked for more information which I didn't have. I had to research a bit. I called back. WITHIN A MINUTE, I had a new Support person on the Line. He took my new information and despite the fact that the Kindle is no longer under warranty, they are sending out a replacement Kindle which should arrive within a week. All I have to do is send back the old Kindle AFTER the replacement arrives. If I don't send it back, they charge me for the new one -- seems fair. NOW THAT'S GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Last edited by JudyD; 09-02-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: misspellings
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
And I walked into a Chapters store with a dead Kobo, no paperwork/receipt, and walked out with a new in the box one 10 minutes later. There are stories everywhere.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JudyD: Heard some similar experience for Kindle. For a user in Australian they didn't even request it sent back.

Are they paying for you to ship it back, or is that at your expense?

It will be nice when the Kobo is sold locally (after Borders AU went bankrupt) so I can recommend to family such that they can get some instore support if any issues, otheriwse the Kindle is already in stores down here now.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My computer monitor within the warranty died and I ended up getting a refurbished that was every bit as good as a brand new monitor. If Samsung had put it in the box like it was new and said it was new, I'd not have known it wasn't new.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
Shankill
Nameless Being

My Kobo 2's screen failed. I contacted Kobo and they sent out a new one. Considering how long anything from overseas takes to get to Australia, I was pleased when a refurbed replacement arrived within a fortnight. I sent my borked one a week later and all's fine.

Around the same time, I accidentally stepped on my partner's Kobo 1 while it was in her bag. Screen completely screwed. She contacted Kobo, and they sent out a replacement which arrived faster than mine.

So, yeah, I'm absolutely happy to stay with Kobo, particularly having seen their general responsiveness to issues and support on the forum. Which is why I have a Touch now.

Overall, both Amazon and Kobo's support for their devices seems to be really top-notch. I mean, hell, I more than happily sell Kindles where I work.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #22
JudyD

RE question:
Quote:
Are they paying for you to ship it back, or is that at your expense?
According to the e-mail instructions I received, I can print out a mailing label through a link they sent, so Amazon is paying to ship back the Kindle.

Quote:
Overall, both Amazon and Kobo's support for their devices seems to be really top-notch
I'm glad to know that support is generally good with Kobo because despite this excellent experience with Kindle support, I am seriously considering the Kobo for my reader. Although I am a heavy Amazon user, I like the simplicity of the Kobo and the Kobo store format.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
molman
Evangelist

@JudyD: Cheers. Wonder if postage situation is same for those out of the US (where I assume you reside).
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #24
JudyD

Yes, I live in the U.S. I don't know about postage outside the U.S. for Kindle.

Just an up-date. The replacement Kindle arrived on the day promised -- looks new (but its a Kindle 2 so maybe refurbished). Works. I printed out shipping label, mailed replaced Kindle back (UPS), and am tracking the replaced Kindle cross country. Great service. No hassles.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Good to hear the other people have had a better experience than me.
cyvros, you mentioned Kobo 2 and Kobo 1. Perhaps they've changed their replacement policy with the Kobo Touch.

With the Touch, they don't (at least in my case) send you a replacement immediately. Instead you have to send your broken device back to them for inspection. After they check the damage is covered by their warranty they send back a repaired or refurbished unit to replace the broken one.

My KT was repaired by them and was sent back to me two days ago. Seeing as it takes around 10 days for packages from Canada to arrive, I should finally have a working KT at around 16/9, which would make it 45 days between it breaking down and me having a working unit again.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With my WiFi they did not send a replacement immediately either; first they shipped me a box, which had to be shipped back with the unit in it. Only upon their receipt and inspection did they ship back a replacement unit.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
molman
Evangelist

I wonder if the fact that most people buy a Kindle directly from Amazon makes a difference. As such they'd have you details on file and could offer it without a need to take your CC number again etc..? Just thinking out loud. Kobo doesn't as a rule have the same relationship, though I guess if you used their book service they'd have the associated account.

Either way I'd much prefer to be sent a unit and then send the faulty to them with the proviso that I'd be charge on my CC if I failed to do such. Waiting as long as baggins is not cool, such that if I was in the middle of a book I'd be rather annoyed.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins View Post
Good to hear the other people have had a better experience than me.
cyvros, you mentioned Kobo 2 and Kobo 1. Perhaps they've changed their replacement policy with the Kobo Touch.

With the Touch, they don't (at least in my case) send you a replacement immediately. Instead you have to send your broken device back to them for inspection. After they check the damage is covered by their warranty they send back a repaired or refurbished unit to replace the broken one.

My KT was repaired by them and was sent back to me two days ago. Seeing as it takes around 10 days for packages from Canada to arrive, I should finally have a working KT at around 16/9, which would make it 45 days between it breaking down and me having a working unit again.
Yeah, it does sound like they've changed the policy. I suspect it's at least partly to do with the introduction of the protection plan option, so normal warranty conditions/service/you-know-what-I-mean-even-if-I-can't-think-of-the-word-for-it for the Touch must be stricter.

Also, that wait really sucks. I hope it's all right when it comes back, man.