Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
lsalterid
lsalterid began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Whimsical IPAD-Calibre/"content server"!

Hi,

I have Calibre installed on both my IPAD and IPOD - all settings the same on both devices. On my IPOD, everything works great every single time: when I go to "get books" my Calibre library displays more-or-less instantly and I can download my books immediately. Not so on my IPAD...

The difficulties are variable:
- Sometimes when i try to get books, the "Computers Sharing Books" says "searching"...and nothing ever happens. So it can't even find my calibre library.
- On other occasions, this same window says "Books in calibre (on Owner-PC) - so it can find my library...but when I click, it just says "searching"...and eventually gives me a "times out" error message. Or it says "network unavailable". Or "network offline".
- On other occasions...it WORKS!!! Hurray!!! But why?

What is going on? How do I fix this?

Thanks!
lsalterid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What software are you using to access the content server?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am confused as Calibre does not run on an iPod or iPad

I suspect you really mean you are using Stanza? If so this is really a Stanza (or iOS) problem which is unfortunate as Stanza is no longer being maintained or updated as far as I can see. However in my experience you get a far more reliable connection from Stanza if you use the IP address:Port of the computer running the Calibre Content server rather than relying on Bonjour to locate it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
lsalterid
lsalterid began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Correction! I am using Stanza on Ipad and Ipod, and trying to use Calibre to transfer my ebook/library content from my computer to my devices. As I said earlier, the transfer process works just fine on my Ipod but is hit-and-miss on my Ipad.

Hi itimpi: I am a bit of a Luddite so not quite sure how to use the IP address/Port of computer, rather than using Bonjour...could you explain further?
lsalterid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalterid;1527278Hi"
itimpi: I am a bit of a Luddite so not quite sure how to use the IP address/Port of computer, rather than using Bonjour...could you explain further?
In Stanza, if you go the Shared tab and hit the Edit button then you get an option to add Book Source (green plus sign). That takes you to a screen where you give a name to the entry you are about to create, and the URL that is needed to access the library (it can be the default of an OPDS catalog or a web apge - you will almost certainly want the OPDs catalog option.

The name field can be anything you like and is simply the display name that will be used in Stanza for the library

The URL field will be something like:
http://pc_addressort/stanza
where pc_address can be either the network name of your PC/Mac or the network IP address. The port field will be whatever you set up in Calibre for the server to use. Once you have done that then the entry will appear as a book source.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(to our self proclaimed Ludite )

Assigned (to your computer) IP addresses can change from time to time unless you take steps (way beyond the scope of this message) to assign a Static address.
If name works, that will be the preferred way for you.

Also! Either way only works within your LAN boundary.

Outside access, again, is more complicated to configure (and has security implications).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote