Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I just took a look at what I had saved for my iPhone - the S/N for generating the PID is the iPhone identifier number. To get that, you just need to connect your iPhone to your computer, open it in iTunes, and on the Summary page, click on "Serial Number" to see the Identifier. Using control/command-C at this point will copy the number to your clipboard.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I just took a look at what I had saved for my iPhone - the S/N for generating the PID is the iPhone identifier number. To get that, you just need to connect your iPhone to your computer, open it in iTunes, and on the Summary page, click on "Serial Number" to see the Identifier. Using control/command-C at this point will copy the number to your clipboard.
Yep, that is the UDID, as I suspected.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's gone. I used to be able to get my Kindle S/N number from my Manage My Kindle page to generate my Kindle PID. As of this morning, that information is no longer visible.

I went to get the S/N for my registered iPod Touch and noticed all the S/N's are gone.

Fortunately there are other ways to get the info but I wanted to give everyone a heads up.

I'll be updating the Visual Kindle Guide today to reflect this change.
Add this into the Visual Kindle Guide...

There is a way to get the serial number that Amazon used to display for the iPhone/iPod Touch (though we only have a Touch).

The backup directory that iTunes creates is that number. It is a 41 character string.

Under Vista it's in c:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
Under XP it's in c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Replace USERNAME with whatever the name of the account is.

I have no idea where this is with OS X.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Add this into the Visual Kindle Guide...

There is a way to get the serial number that Amazon used to display.

The backup directory that iTunes creates is that number. It is a 41 character string.

Under Vista it's in c:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
Under XP it's in c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Replace USERNAME with whatever the name of the account is.

I have no idea where this is with OS X.
Can you also provide a copy of the altered KindlePID.py script so I can add that as well?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Might have been the UDID (Universal Device ID), then. Which is accessible via iTunes, though I forget exactly how at the moment.

EDIT: Here's how.
Thanks, I'll add that link as well as the info from JSWolf to the wiki (I have to build a page for the iPhone and Touch first)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Might have been the UDID (Universal Device ID), then. Which is accessible via iTunes, though I forget exactly how at the moment.

EDIT: Here's how.
Yes, what Amazon is using is the UDID. I just did the look at the UDID via iTunes and it is what Amazon was displaying as the serial number.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes, what Amazon is using is the UDID. I just did the look at the UDID via iTunes and it is what Amazon was displaying as the serial number.
I assume that works on the Apple version of iTunes. Also, this works for touches as well as iPhones?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is too funny. It just proves that security by obscurity is no security at all.

When will these people learn that DRM is a waste of time and money?

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes, it works! I must have copied down generated PID wrong yesterday but I got the right one today.

Even though I have other avenues to get my Amazon ebooks I wanted to get this to work with my Touch.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume that works on the Apple version of iTunes. Also, this works for touches as well as iPhones?

BOb
It works on the iPod Touch as that is what my wife has. And we are using the Windows version of iTunes 8.02.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It works on the iPod Touch as that is what my wife has. And we are using the Windows version of iTunes 8.02.
Doh.. I meant the "Mac" version of iTunes. Of course the Win and Mac are both Apple versions.

I will check it out when I get home to my precious.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is too funny. It just proves that security by obscurity is no security at all.

When will these people learn that DRM is a waste of time and money?

BOb
But, you have to have the modified script and then you have to know it's the UDID and not the serial number. But if you get the script I linked to Daffy and know that the UDID/Identifier is what you need to use then you can do it. Getting content off the device is going to be the hard part for most if it's not jailbroken.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yes, it works! I must have copied down generated PID wrong yesterday but I got the right one today.

Even though I have other avenues to get my Amazon ebooks I wanted to get this to work with my Touch.
if you need any help getting it to work, please PM and I'll give you a hand.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
[i've taken the liberty of fixing the typo in the thread title. "mange" means "eat" in french and it was a bit disturbing every time i saw "eat my kindle" go past in the spy ! ]
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
[i've taken the liberty of fixing the typo in the thread title. "mange" means "eat" in french and it was a bit disturbing every time i saw "eat my kindle" go past in the spy ! ]

BOb

(Now I want to change the title to "Eat my kindle".)

Tags
iphone pid, ipod pid, kindlepid