Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
New Nook Color Rooted User...

Hello,

I just picked up a Nook Color and plan on rooting it with Gingerbread....for the freedom of the Android apps.

I have never used an eReader, and although Im rooting my Nook, I would like to use it as an eReader pretty extensively.

Recommendations for an eReader (and Android) neophyte please.

Aldiko
Moon+
FBReader
Mantolo
Google Books
CoolReader

Kindle
B&N Nook
Kobo

Calibre

Please steer me in the right direction!

I have no purchased or otherwise eBooks and have never used and eReader, so no legacy to integrate.

I would like to check out eBooks from the local library (which uses Overdrive).

Last edited by EscapeVelocity; 12-11-2011 at 08:20 PM.
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
What other things are you interested in? If you're into comics and such, I'd throw a pitch in for Perfect Viewer.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
I started using aldiko on my rooted NC (CM7 initially, now phiremod). It was horribly buggy on both roms, and would often skip pages and/or lose touch sensitivity.

I switched to moon+ reader and no longer experience bugs. Plus, after getting used to the interface, I actually prefer it. It has more customizable settings than aldiko without going overboard. For instance, I like how you can also customize tap commands. On my NC, I set it up so that tapping on either the left or right side moves the page forward for added reading comfort (page back means I have to slide L --> R).

If you want a more minimalistic UI and prefer many, many customizations, then try CoolReader. I tried it before, but found the sheer number of customizations distracting, and ended up spending more time trying to perfect my ideal UI than I did reading . Of course, YYMV.

Edit: if you're willing to strip the DRM from your ebooks I'd also suggest using calibre + dropbox. Set up calibre to store books in the dropbox folder, and that way you can easily import new books to your NC without having to constantly connect it to your computer. Plus doing so allows you to access your library on other machines as well.

Last edited by JxK; 12-11-2011 at 08:24 PM.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Edited OP to add...

Quote:
I have no purchased or otherwise eBooks and have never used and eReader, so no legacy to integrate.

I would like to check out eBooks from the local library (which uses Overdrive).
Not really a comic book reader.

I heard B&N has superior kids eBooks.

Also I believe the Overdrive at the local library uses Kindle format.

Very confused at this point. It doesnt help that I dont have the Nook rooted yet (waiting on the microSD card). And I havent set up an account with B&N yet either.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I really like CoolReader. Gives you a lot of options.

JxK-- I've tried Moon+ and generally liked it, but run into a problem where sometimes the bottom line on a page is repeated on the next page. Googling revealed I was not alone. Is there some way around this? Do you actually scroll instead of page turn?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
@soondai

I haven't experienced that bug yet (hopefully!). It may be that you were using a different version of Moon+, or perhaps something in phiremod was different enough that the bug didn't manifest. Try redownloading Moon+ and see what happens.

The bug that I do experience is in the menu options, the tops of the settings descriptions are cut off. However, it's not so bad that I was unable to understand them. And after setting up the configurations to my preferences, I haven't been back. So not a big deal from my perspective.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

Edited OP to add...

Not really a comic book reader.

I heard B&N has superior kids eBooks.

Also I believe the Overdrive at the local library uses Kindle format.

Very confused at this point. It doesnt help that I dont have the Nook rooted yet (waiting on the microSD card). And I havent set up an account with B&N yet either.
Overdrive has had epub and has just recently added Kindle.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I really like CoolReader. Gives you a lot of options.

JxK-- I've tried Moon+ and generally liked it, but run into a problem where sometimes the bottom line on a page is repeated on the next page. Googling revealed I was not alone. Is there some way around this? Do you actually scroll instead of page turn?
Have you seen the problem in the latest version of Moon+? It works well for me. There is actually a setting under Miscellaneous "Keep one line when paging". Perhaps that is turned on? There are alot of settings for the reader so its hard to check them on, but I generally disable vertical scrolling and turn on brightness and font size by swiping the edge of screen. I also toggle tap mode so it uses tap on left and right of screen for page turns rather than top and bottom. Moon+ Pro also has TTS so that is a nice feature if you need/want it.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur

Things are really going well for me.

Ive been trying out all the top Android Readers. Very nice. Still a lot to learn. I downloaded my first Overdrive library rental. Sweet!