3 Libraries

Master
Mine
Hers

2 computers
-Kubuntu/Win7 Dual-boot
-Win Vista

Master Library and My Library will be on Kubuntu/Win7 computer
Hers will be on Win Vista computer, but the library will be on external drive, so will be plugged into mine for updates to books.

Planned workflow:

1. New Book

A new book is added to Master
The metadata is updated
The book is sent from Master to Mine/Hers Libraries
The personal Metadata, read status/ratings etc..., are only added in those individual libraries.

2. Updated book data in Master.

A books metadata is updated/changed in the Master Library.
The updated metadata is sent on to Mine/Hers Libraries.
The personal metadata, which is different in each personal library,must somehow be left intact.
Sue_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO you are asking for trouble using the same Library on a Dual Boot.
Ubuntu/W7 and Ubuntu/XP here. File Name case differences has gotten me every time. (missing file errors detected every time. 2 files with case differences in the folder, Windows does not like the results of that)

Pick one OS for Master. Drop a copy of the Updated (polished) EPUB from the others into masters Auto Update folder. The next time Master launches, the books will be added.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Sue_
Enthusiast
Sue_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Bebook One
Yes, I am aware of case issues, the Kubuntu will be the "editing" OS, with Windows 7 just having access so I can add books to my device.
I would not be running the Master Library from windows at all, only my personal one.

The only library that I want sending changes is the Master Library.
The only edits the other two make are personal datas like the read status for kobo, and ratings and such, as these are diff for each personal library I don't want them going into Master.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you don't maintain personal metadata (read status, rating...) in the Master Library then those columns will be 'empty' - you may want to exclude some columns (e.g. ratings) from metadata downloads.

When you send a new book to His and Her Libraries they will still be empty - then its up to Him and Her to maintain the personal metadata (read status, rating...) in their respective libraries.

But do you actually need to retain books in the Master Library. Why not use it as a Receiving Dock where you do deDRMing, adjust author names and title, download basic metadata, do conversions before copying it to His and Her libraries and then delete it from the Receiving Dock.

To safeguard the personal metadata you should back up the His and Her Libraries individually . So Her backup could be a secondary backup for His Library, and vice versa. Most book files (format files) aren't that big, so having similar backups is not normally a big deal.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
Sue_
Enthusiast
Sue_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Bebook One
I think I wasn't quite clear on the Master Library use.

The books are not being deleted from it, they are being copied out to two almost identical personal libraries.
The only difference between these libraries, each other, and the Master Library is the different personal data.
So when a book is added, it goes into the Master Library, the metadata is all done and the book is copied to the personal libraries. There, each personal library will contain slightly different data.

When an already present book is updated in the Master Library, the changes need to be copied to the two personal libraries, without altering the other data tho.....
Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sue_ - you could possibly do it with Merge Books. When Updated Book is Master copied to the His and Her libraries they would need to have the Preferences->Adding Books->Automerge Duplicates set to unchecked

You'd probably need to edit the old book and new book metadata to empty the values you don't want and then do the merge

I don't think there is any way to pick and choose which metadata columns come from which duplicate. I have a vague memory of someone saying they were working on a fork to do it - but that was a while back.

If the frequency/volume of changes to the Master are low then it might be easier to do the changes twice - on the His and Her Libraries.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote