Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Advice needed...I really want a calendar

I know this is a thread that has been somewhat exhausted, but I truly need some advice on whether to root or not (or load honeycomb with an sd). I haven't seen any threads regarding a great calendar option!

I take my nook color everywhere and the one thing I really WANT is an interactive calendar (meaning I can type in appointments, delete, etc.). Yes, I have a little pocket planner that works just fine but alas...

So is it worth rooting just for the sake of having a calendar and can I even get a good one through market place?

I have no experience with rooting or android but I'm pretty computer savvy and I'm not worried about warranties.

I have no need for angry birds, youtube or google applications.

A better web browsing experience would be appreciated and easier checking email (through gmail or yahoo) would be nice but not necessary.

If there was a keyboard available (free or paid) that would allow me to easily take minutes at meetings then I'm all on-board with rooting. Yes, I'm a fast typist and yes, I'm fairly used to working with virtual keyboards.

So here are my actual questions for advice:
1.) Is there a pretty good calendar available through android market place?
2.) If yes, should I go through all the hullaballoo of rooting just for an interactive calendar?
3.) Are there worthwhile keyboards for taking notes/minutes available through marketplace?
4.) Should I root or go with the SD card honeycomb booting option (even though I'd have buy a class 6 card)?
3.) Does anyone have information on the much lauded barnes and noble upgrade?
I'll appreciate any feedback!
TIA,
Dawn
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post

2.) If yes, should I go through all the hullaballoo of rooting just for an interactive calendar?
3.) Are there worthwhile keyboards for taking notes/minutes available through marketplace?
4.) Should I root or go with the SD card honeycomb booting option (even though I'd have buy a class 6 card)?
3.) Does anyone have information on the much lauded barnes and noble upgrade?
TIA,
Dawn
Easiest way to go is to install Froyo on a sd card. It is relatively painless.

1) Jorte is nice and syncs with google calendar
2) Froyo on SD is an easier solution, but Im all for rooting for various reasons
3) I like swiftkey
4) Transcend 8gb class 6 card is $18 on amazon, but froyo is a better os to install as opposed to hc
5) no
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
<Snip....>
I have no need for angry birds, youtube or google applications.
Yes you do you just don't know it

Quote:
A better web browsing experience would be appreciated and easier checking email (through gmail or yahoo) would be nice but not necessary.

If there was a keyboard available (free or paid) that would allow me to easily take minutes at meetings then I'm all on-board with rooting. Yes, I'm a fast typist and yes, I'm fairly used to working with virtual keyboards.

5.) Does anyone have information on the much lauded barnes and noble upgrade?
TIA,
Dawn
>>>>> My setup
I'm currently running nookie(AOSP Foryo 2.2) off of the SD Card. I tried to get the calendar sync to work on the stock B&N Nook and could not get it to work.
>>>>> End

"Good" is such a subjective term are there some key calendar features your looking for?
  1. I use stock Google calendar with their sync software, I also use a widget to display my calender on the front page. The stocks calendar app works great for my needs, but I don't usually add events from my phone/nook but through the PC and have my phone/nook sync. There are apps like Jorte which offer a little more than calendar features. The google experience is that they store your calendar information in one spot and allow apps to use this information allowing you to have the potential of several apps that do might fit your needs instead of one huge app that does all.
  2. You don't need to root your device to use nookie, you can burn an image on a MicroSD card and see if you like the experience.
  3. Swiftkey is good, also the gingerbread keyboard is very good as well. On my android phone my favorite is 8pen, but it is not as efficient on the nook.
  4. Honeycomb is not ready yet there are a lot of apps that do not work on it. I would hold off on honycomb for now.
  5. It's not either or you can try to root your device and also run off the SD Card both are just as easy, difficult, time consuming. I would recommend both to see what you like better. Personally I like the nookie(SD Card) far better than the rooted nook, but there are many that prefer the latter.
  6. No only that it is slated to be released in Q1.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 02-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks you two! I'll take your advice and put Froyo on an SD card.
I'll also reexamine this whole google applications thing I guess I'm missing something about how great it is!
Thanks again.
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I too have Jorte and love it. I don't use Google Calendar yet, I just really like the simply layout and ease of use. Also rooting is awesome. I just did a stock root rather than Froyo for the time begin and it's amazing.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert