Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-10-2023, 09:44 PM   #1
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cheap e-Reader that reads PDF and ePub?

I have a PW3 that I just happened to brick while trying downgrade it.

The PW3 used to be perfect for my needs except for:
  • Terrible PDF experience
  • No night light

Apart from these it's a great e-reader.

Then after 5.12 battery drain suddenly became a thing, then they put ads on it, then I bricked it.

I'm looking for an e-reader (can be used) that I can get very cheap (cheaper than a Kindle) that I can read PDFs and ePubs on (can be with hacks, doesn't matter).

If it has night light it's even better, I read a lot at night and the PW3 light is harsh on my eyes.

Does such e reader exist? I don't care about highlighting or dictionaries, or bad touch screen, etc.
Vlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:43 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Kobo
Its a joke?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlash View Post
I have a PW3 that I just happened to brick while trying downgrade it.

The PW3 used to be perfect for my needs except for:
  • Terrible PDF experience
  • No night light

Apart from these it's a great e-reader.

Then after 5.12 battery drain suddenly became a thing, then they put ads on it, then I bricked it.

I'm looking for an e-reader (can be used) that I can get very cheap (cheaper than a Kindle) that I can read PDFs and ePubs on (can be with hacks, doesn't matter).

If it has night light it's even better, I read a lot at night and the PW3 light is harsh on my eyes.

Does such e reader exist? I don't care about highlighting or dictionaries, or bad touch screen, etc.
Any cheap Reader is going to do a terrible job with PDF. The screen will be way too small. A PW3 size screen (6") is way too small for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:20 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The PocketBook InkPad Lite (9.7") would probably be the closest you'd come to an eReader that might work well for PDFs and be "relatively" cheap for its size. It would require dealing with low resolution (150 dpi) but (oddly enough) it does have "warm light" and a microSD slot.

https://www.amazon.com/PocketBook-Gl...s%2C193&sr=8-5

EDIT:
I didn't realize until I checked the link more closely that the seller is not PocketBook and this is not shipped by Amazon. So be careful. When sold by PocketBook and shipped by Amazon the cost is over $70 more. So this makes me leery of this seller.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-11-2023 at 04:27 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The PocketBook InkPad Lite (9.7") would probably be the closest you'd come to an eReader that might work well for PDFs and be "relatively" cheap for its size. It would require dealing with low resolution (150 dpi) but (oddly enough) it does have "warm light" and a microSD slot.
I have a 9.7″ Kindle DGX that is also 150 dpi bought for PDFs. Even if it was fast enough, it's useless for PDFs. An 8″ or 7.8″ 300dpi is far better (I have both). Often a 7″ 300 dpi is better.

Though the SD card slot is good on anything less than 32 G Byte, or maybe 16 GByte.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Its a joke?
Nope are you?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any cheap Reader is going to do a terrible job with PDF. The screen will be way too small. A PW3 size screen (6") is way too small for PDF.
My 6" Clare has no problems with PDF or Epubs. PDFs are Manuals for my scooters & Power Chair & now a Lift chair oh and 2 manuals for the Haram lift on the back of my car. Full Pictures and all the fine details. Price is reasonable especially since my income is under $1000 a month.

My bigger Kindle Signature Ed is Crap with any book with pictures charts etc. I Don't recommend it!!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-11-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If what you're looking for is cheap, inbuilt lighting, and a decent PDF reading experience, I suggest a tablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 10:43 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
My 6" Clare has no problems with PDF or Epubs. PDFs are Manuals for my scooters & Power Chair & now a Lift chair oh and 2 manuals for the Haram lift on the back of my car.
Those sort of manuals are replicas of small paper manuals and instructions that are often pocket sized to A5 max (about 1/2 US Letter size, exactly half A4).
Such manuals do work on 6″ 300 dpi ereaders, but the Kindles (other than Scribe) are poorer than Kobo for that. I did have an Oasis till recently.

But PDF scans of old magazines, larger books and technical material is sometimes too large for 8″ and even a 10″ tablet can be awkward.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:03 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I read newspapers & magazines also no problems.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:24 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I read newspapers & magazines also no problems.
I congratulate you on your eyes and good guessing skills.
In order to be able to read A4 pdf reasonably, devices from 10 inches are recommended
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:26 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Those sort of manuals are replicas of small paper manuals and instructions that are often pocket sized to A5 max (about 1/2 US Letter size, exactly half A4).
Such manuals do work on 6″ 300 dpi ereaders, but the Kindles (other than Scribe) are poorer than Kobo for that. I did have an Oasis till recently.

But PDF scans of old magazines, larger books and technical material is sometimes too large for 8″ and even a 10″ tablet can be awkward.
I've never had a problem reading PDF on a 9.7" iPad.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:27 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I congratulate you on your eyes and good guessing skills.
In order to be able to read A4 pdf reasonably, devices from 10 inches are recommended
If the OP is in the US, changes are most PDF will be letter size (8.5" x 11").
Old 02-11-2023, 08:41 PM   #15
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Its a joke?
He could buy five-six year old Kobo Aura One (around 130-150 $), or four year old Kobo Forma, install Koreader app upon, and have a very good and relatively cheap pdf, epub, comic, djvu 8" 300 dpi e-reader with a warm light.

Last edited by Marinolino; 02-12-2023 at 03:21 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote