Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Wink What does reflective LCD (RLCD) feel like compared to e-ink?

I'm wondering what those of you who have seen or used RLCD first hand thought of it compared to the subjective feeling you get with e-ink.

I am particularly interested in the TCL Nxtpaper devices.

When I use e-ink, I get the same feeling as I do when I read a book. In comparison, using an LCD tablet seems to create the same sort of mental strain that comes with using an IPS monitor.

Does RLCD feel closer to regular LCD or to e-ink? Is it apples to oranges?

Thanks
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Reflective LCD is really old. Maybe 20 years. It's an advantage in direct sunlight. In ordinary light it's poorer than OLED or regular LCD.

The only advantage over eInk is colour, but some forms of it are monochrome in direct sunlight.

It's inferior to eink for monochrome and takes much more power even if image is static. The eInk panel takes no power when static.

RLCD's only advantage is over LCD or OLED is in direct sunlight. Totally inferior to eInk for reading monochrome.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
My bad I completely forgot to mention it, but yes I was thinking of color. I definitely agree that there is no reason to get RLCD for monochrome over e-ink, unless maybe for niche uses. Some redditor mentioned they used the Q5 as a monitor for instance.

I guess to be more precise, my question would be if the unpleasantness mixed with bluelight you get when reading color documents on LCD is also there with RLCD, or if reading color documents on RLCD is close enough to book-like or at least not jarring.

The My Deep Guide guy did mention that the SVD 32" monitor was relaxing like a moving painting. Looks like the tech has gotten a long way from the ill-devised Pixel Qi.

Based on that information, RLCD sounds like a way better option than the current e-ink technology, when it comes to color comics/documents and also allows for regular tablet functionalities like video. But if the RLCD is in fact jarring, then it becomes useless compared to color e-ink.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:14 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
RLCD is for phones and tablets in bright sunshine. Probably a good idea on a micro 4/3rds camera screen. Regular LCD or OLED is better otherwise. It's extremely power hungry compared to eink.

It's a terrible idea for laptops, monitors or TV screens indoors.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Cholesteric liquid crystal reflective display

c/p

" AUO introduced a new color e-paper display at the Touch Taiwan 2022 event. The 7.9-inch reflective display, according to TechNews uses cholesteric liquid crystal technology which the company said is best suited for use in the education segment or as outdoor public displays and other similar applications.

As AUO described in their PR release and mentioned in a Reddit post, the 7.9-inch reflective display based on ChLC technology ‘can interrupt the driving voltage after finishing static display and uses ambient light to display the screen without any backlight.’ This leads to vastly reduced power consumption while the company is claiming the reflectivity and color saturation are also better given that there are no color filters and polarizers used ... "

https://goodereader.com/blog/e-paper...wan-2022-event

- - - - -

Sun Vision Display (SVD) 32" RLCD Indoor Computer Monitor: Unboxing And First impressions (My Deep Guide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehqj0W3koP0&t=8s

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-01-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #6
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I have a severe hypersensitivity to screens and some led ligths. Not even all eReader are suitable for me. I spent the last 13 years being half dizzy because the impossibility to live without screens.

The colour eInk improved a little my life, but this can really change my life
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote