Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #106
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Weaveworld" is a wonderful fantasy, in my opinion.
Yeah, in general, Clive Barker's short stories are horror and his novels tend to be dark fantasy. The difference to me is in the protagonist/heroes. If they are supernatural, then it is fantasy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #107
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I started rereading it earlier this year - I thought it had dated badly. Quite apart from the glam rock soundtrack playing in the background, some of the language was a bit icky. (At some point I will finish it off, but it might be a while...)
I'm curious about the icky language. I don't seem to have issues reading a book and remembering the time it was written.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #108
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What exactly is 'icky' language?

I know what 'icky' means when I lick a popsicle and get it all over my face and hand and then the stickiness seems to cling to me like when I put too much butter on my popcorn and then I let my dog with his big, wet tongue lick all over my hand and between my fingers before dipping my hand back into the bowl of popcorn.

That kind of 'icky'?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What exactly is 'icky' language?

I know what 'icky' means when I lick a popsicle and get it all over my face and hand and then the stickiness seems to cling to me like when I put too much butter on my popcorn and then I let my dog with his big, wet tongue lick all over my hand and between my fingers before dipping my hand back into the bowl of popcorn.

That kind of 'icky'?
To me 'icky' is getting jelly on a sweater and you get the glob of jelly off with your hand, but there's still that sticky patch because you don't have any water handy to wipe the stickiness off properly.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #110
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman is currently $1.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
From the author of the hit literary horror debut Bird Box comes a chilling novel about a group of musicians conscripted by the US government to track down the source of a strange and debilitating sound

The Danes—the band known as the “Darlings of Detroit”—are washed up and desperate for inspiration, eager to once again have a number one hit. That is, until an agent from the US Army approaches them. Will they travel to an African desert and track down the source of a mysterious and malevolent sound? Under the guidance of their front man, Philip Tonka, the Danes embark on a harrowing journey through the scorching desert—a trip that takes Tonka into the heart of an ominous and twisted conspiracy.

Meanwhile, in a nondescript Midwestern hospital, a nurse named Ellen tends to a patient recovering from a near-fatal accident. The circumstances that led to his injuries are mysterious—and his body heals at a remarkable rate. Ellen will do the impossible for this enigmatic patient, who reveals more about his accident with each passing day.

Part Heart of Darkness, part Lost, Josh Malerman’s breathtaking new novel plunges us into the depths of psychological horror, where you can’t always believe everything you hear.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #111
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To me 'icky' is getting jelly on a sweater and you get the glob of jelly off with your hand, but there's still that sticky patch because you don't have any water handy to wipe the stickiness off properly.

That's really bad 'icky', all right.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #112
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman is currently $1.99 at Amazon.
Thanks for that. Sounds interesting. And from the reviews, looks like I'll be waiting for the price of Bird Box to drop as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #113
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Thanks for that. Sounds interesting. And from the reviews, looks like I'll be waiting for the price of Bird Box to drop as well.
Bird Box is essential. One of my favorite horror novels of the past few years. I've posted price drops for it before, and will be sure to do so again.
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #114
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Bird Box is essential. One of my favorite horror novels of the past few years. I've posted price drops for it before, and will be sure to do so again.
I've added it to my shopping list, but Amazon isn't good about emailing me when item prices on that list drop. I'll keep an eye on this thread for that.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #115
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free thread for a new StoryBundle:

The Fear Bundle curated by Kristine Kathryn Rusch contains mainly newer titles by established authors and some indies, focusing on a multi-genre theme, with suspense-oriented selections ranging from serial killer thrillers to outright supernatural horror.

Plus, if you enjoy RPG tabletop gaming, Bundle of Holding has a bunch of spooky Halloween offerings for horror-ish game settings, including some British Lovecraftiana.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #116
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Yeah, in general, Clive Barker's short stories are horror and his novels tend to be dark fantasy. The difference to me is in the protagonist/heroes. If they are supernatural, then it is fantasy.
I like both Horror and Fantasy, so win/win!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #117
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I've added it to my shopping list, but Amazon isn't good about emailing me when item prices on that list drop. I'll keep an eye on this thread for that.
Do you know about ereaderiq.com?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #118
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Do you know about ereaderiq.com?
I've heard others here mention it, but have never spent any time investigating it.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #119
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
I've heard others here mention it, but have never spent any time investigating it.
I find eareaderiq to be a useful tool for tracking price drops on individual books, and they will send you an email notification when a book reaches your target price.

They also have a price history for each book, which helps you set a threshold, and to get a feeling for how often a specific book changes price. The history also shows the lowest price its ever been and the date.

There are some other features as well, but the two above are the main ones I use. It is user-friendly, and very quick to set up some books you want to track.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #120
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney is going for two bucks at Amazon.