Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 09-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #46
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes iSiloX for Windows has a feature that allows you to convert TT fonts to iSilo format. Whether this is the case for iSiloX for Mac I don't know.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #47
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
Do I have, already, some fonts I could convert, by just using Windows temporarily? Do you mean the conversion software only runs under Windows?

I understand I have to own a copy of Windows, to legally convert Windows fonts -- and I don't own a copy -- "borrowing" isn't.

No, changing platforms isn't worth the hassle.
The conversion software runs only under Windows.

The Palm versions of the fonts are bitmapped. Bitmapped fonts are not copyrightable in the U.S.. So, if you run the conversion software on a friend's machine, you can turn the copyrighted TrueType fonts (e.g., Times New Roman) on their Windows machine into uncopyrightable iSilo bitmapped fonts which you can then do with what you like.

The other option is to use PalmFontConv (palmfontconv.sf.net). It has a bunch of command-line tools, and the latest unreleased version in CVS does run under OS X. But it doesn't do as good a job because for patent reasons it doesn't read font hints.
Advert
Old 11-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #48
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
This one?
2005-05-07 11:26
Download PalmFontConv162full.zip 2066893 1052 i386

I'll try it. I don't even have any _friends_ who have Windows, these days! I'd have to go into a computer store or the library to try to use a Windows app.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #49
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you need the version in the cvs repository.

EasyConvert (http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?xyz=104888) has significantly better quality as it uses the Windows renderer, which is better than FreeType (which PalmFontConv uses) and better than the OS X renderer. But it is Windows-only.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #50
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
ok, thanks, I don't have CVS figured out apparently. I'll get by with what Palm provides for fonts.
Advert