Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
After discussion on non-existing existing glyphs in gentium, now polemic on fixed layout epub in svenska nobody but OP have seen?
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
After discussion on non-existing existing glyphs in gentium, now polemic on fixed layout epub in svenska nobody but OP have seen?
And, exactly what "polemic" would that be?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
It should be trivial to simplify the markup with a bit of regexes, as both the paragraph separation and whitespace is present. Locate important formatting like italics, and remove everything else.
Sadly, that markup defines where everything is placed on the page. If you remove it, you then have the not so fun task of trying to make the epub look decent again. I tend to agree with Hitch that it is not a simple task. I've attached two lines from the Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History of Magic". And yes, both quotes define a single line of text.

Quote:
Code:
  <div class="liw c6E c7" style="font-size:0;top:326px;min-width:379px;line-height:24px;z-index:289">
    <span class="w c87 c160 f32 c161 c78" style="width:70px"> Portrait </span><span class="w c160 f32 c161 c78" style="width:23px;letter-spacing:-0.23px">of </span><span class="w c87 c160 f32 c161 c78" style="width:80px">Professor </span><span class="w c87 c160 f32 c161 c78" style="width:109px">McGonagall </span><span class="w c1D c160 f32 c161 c78">by </span><span class="w c13 c160 f32 c161 c78" style="letter-spacing:-0.05px">Jim </span><span class="w c13 c160 f32 c161 c78" style="text-align:right;letter-spacing:.09px">Kay</span>
  </div>
Quote:
Code:
  <div class="liw nw c7" style="font-size:0;top:122px;left:293px;min-width:46px;line-height:100px;z-index:261">
    <span style="font-size:68px" class="w c116 c1705 f1"> F</span>
  </div>

<div class="liw nw c7 c7CB" style="font-size:0;top:136px;left:335px;min-width:253px;line-height:77px">
    <span class="w c1705 f1" style="width:252px"><span class="c1705 c19C c" style="width:39px"> A</span><span class="bl c1705 c c38" style="top:4px;font-size:52px">N</span><span class="bl c1705 cA c16F c c5E">T</span><span class="bl c1705 c1839 c c30" style="font-size:50px">A</span><span class="bl c1705 cA"><span class="c1705 c16F c c63">S</span><span class="c1705 c19C c c88">T</span></span><span class="bl c1705 c1839 c19C c cD">I </span><span class="w c36 c1705 f1 c19C"> C</span></span>
  </div>

<div class="liw nw c7" style="font-size:0;top:195px;left:364px;min-width:235px;line-height:105px;z-index:272">
    <span class="w c1705 f1" style="width:234px"><span class="c1705 c c38" style="font-size:71px"> B</span><span class="bl c1705 c1C4 c c5C" style="top:-7px">E</span><span class="bl c1705 c1C4 c c88" style="top:-11px">A</span><span class="bl c1705 c c2D" style="top:-6px;font-size:44px">S</span><span style="top:-3px;font-size:53px" class="bl c1705"><span class="c c1705 c65">T</span><span class="c c1705 cD">S </span></span></span>
  </div>

<div class="liw c7 c44 c45 c46 c47 c48 cAC cAD cAE cAF cB0 c6E c1EC c70" style="top:330px;z-index:287">
    <span class="w cADB f2" style="width:148px"><span class="cADB c71 c78 c c1C"> F</span><span class="cADB c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c1B">A</span><span class="c cADB c14">N</span><span class="c cADB c28">T</span><span class="c cADB c25">A</span><span class="c cADB c32">S</span><span class="c cADB c25">T</span><span class="c cADB c163">I</span><span class="c cD cADB">C </span></span></span><span class="w cA4 cADB f2"><span class="cADB c71 c78 c" style="width:21px">B</span><span class="cADB c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c25">E</span><span class="c cADB c25">A</span><span class="c cADB c32">S</span><span class="c cADB c25">T</span><span class="c cD cADB">S </span></span></span><span class="w c81 c1AE cADB f2 c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c1B">A</span><span class="c cADB c14">N</span><span class="c cD cADB">D </span></span><span class="w c101 cADB f2"><span class="cADB c71 c78 c c29">W</span><span class="cADB c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c1C">H</span><span class="c cADB c28">E</span><span class="c cADB c1B">R</span><span class="c cD cADB">E </span></span></span><span class="w c1AE cADB f2 c72 c78" style="width:48px"><span class="c cADB c25">T</span><span class="c cD cADB">O </span></span><span class="w c127 cADB f2"><span class="cADB c71 c78 c c27">F</span><span class="cADB c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c2A">I</span><span class="c cADB c14">N</span><span class="c cD cADB">D </span></span></span><span class="w c1D8 cADB f2"><span class="cADB c71 c78 c c14">T</span><span class="cADB c72 c78"><span class="c cADB c1C">H</span><span class="c cADB c28">E</span><span class="c cD cADB">M </span></span></span><span class="w cADB f22 c71" style="width:57px"><span class="c c63 cADB">w</span><span class="c cADB c1B">a</span><span class="c cD cADB">s </span></span>
  </div>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Is the "KEPITEL 6" in your example a typo? Are there any OCR errors?
That's due to Borkify.

I wont put more energy into this. If it had been sort of feasable (I'm still sort of new to regex, and thought maybe this would "force" me to learn more), it could be something to do more for the challenge of it... Another option would have been if Calibre could understand it as the kepub-renderer does, and from there convert it to pdf. I have done plenty of pdf to epub and know the process well.

But I can also buy it as a pdf. I may see if I can get it as that from the store I bought this from. Or just borrow the paper book from the library.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by patrik; 09-22-2020 at 04:21 PM.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly, that markup defines where everything is placed on the page. If you remove it, you then have the not so fun task of trying to make the epub look decent again. I tend to agree with Hitch that it is not a simple task. I've attached two lines from the Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History of Magic". And yes, both quotes define a single line of text.
Oh, but wait, DNSB, you don't mean to go off on some polemic, do ya????? (sigh).

Now, back to all seriousness:

Not to mention, you can't simply willy-nilly nuke the CSS. You have to look at every single one of those bloody classes and make sure that it's only related to the exact positioning on the page, etc.

I've seen them with spans around EVERY LETTER. Every single letter. It's not as simple as one might think. We tried it, ages ago. Twice. It is literally faster and cheaper to get a PDF and make the ebook (the reflowable ebook) from that. And you all know how I feel about making eBooks from PDFs!

Hitch
Advert
Old 09-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, but wait, DNSB, you don't mean to go off on some polemic, do ya????? (sigh).

Now, back to all seriousness:

Not to mention, you can't simply willy-nilly nuke the CSS. You have to look at every single one of those bloody classes and make sure that it's only related to the exact positioning on the page, etc.

I've seen them with spans around EVERY LETTER. Every single letter. It's not as simple as one might think. We tried it, ages ago. Twice. It is literally faster and cheaper to get a PDF and make the ebook (the reflowable ebook) from that. And you all know how I feel about making eBooks from PDFs!

Hitch
I was dumb enough to try once. I basically ended up removing all the CSS and then rebuilding a text file with pictures to a semi-decent looking epub. If I was running a business, I would have used nothing but red ink for that job. It was a learning experience and those are said to be worth the cost. What did I learn? The next time someone wants a fixed layout converted to a reflowable layout, saunter away (running away while screaming attracts too much attention ).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #22
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
It looks like when you export to EPUB with InDesign, and don't choose reflowable format. Looks like the fonts are missing, so you get weird positioning of glyphs. Does the EPUB file contain any fonts? I have bought Swedish ebooks myself from Adlibris & Bokus, and it's never been this bad haha.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
It looks like when you export to EPUB with InDesign, and don't choose reflowable format. Looks like the fonts are missing, so you get weird positioning of glyphs. Does the EPUB file contain any fonts? I have bought Swedish ebooks myself from Adlibris & Bokus, and it's never been this bad haha.
The fonts don't have to be missing. That can happen when the fonts are fully embedded; it depends on the device. The INDD export is exceedingly Apple-centric. Try to use that same output on other devices that have different screen resolutions, aspect ratios and that's the cruft you get, typically.

Hitch
Old 10-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You really don't care? You apparently cared enough to stick your oar in about something about which you know less than nothing, though, right?

The Internet. The home of the unwanted gift that just KEEPS ON GIVING.

Hitch
Cannot say how I am sorry for my previous post.
Usually I don't behave this way
Not that I am perfect, but
This is books forum & this is not the place for that.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
Cannot say how I am sorry for my previous post.
Usually I don't behave this way
Not that I am perfect, but
This is books forum & this is not the place for that.
You know, we all have bad days. Hell, me more than most. All is forgiven and PAX. :-)

Hitch