Notices

Old 11-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
groob
Enthusiast
groob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1)
Convert all math formulas to images

Hello,
I have many technical ebooks (epub, mobi) containing many math formulas.
In calibre for mac I can mostly read these formula correctly but when I transfer this same file (same format, already converted) to my kindle paperwhite (1st gen) many formula are not correctly rendered.

I'm quite sure this is a limitation of my kindle version, so nothing to be done there, I guess.

I was wondering if does it exist a converting procedure or a plugin that could convert all the math formulas into images in order to be correctly visualized in the reader.

Thanks in advance
groob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm afrid not. if your math formulae are represented as svg then converting to mobi will auto-rasterize them, but if they use something else like mathml then no.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
groob
Enthusiast

Thanks,
in your opinion this incorrect rendering is due to a conversion problem/limitation or a limitation of my reader?
In the last case, are there other readers known to be more "math friendly"?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
groob
Enthusiast

After verification, I can confirm (at least in one case) that the problem is coming from the use of mathml.
What is the technical limitation to first render this formula and then grab the generated visual output?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rendering mathml is far from trivial. it's a very large spec with very few open source standalone implementations outside of browser engines, and even there it is being removed from browser engines. So you are left with JS based solutions like mathjax, which is what for instance the calibre viewer uses. IIRC calibre's PDF output has suport for using MathJax when converting to PDF, so you might be better off converting to PDF (sized for your device screen).
Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use MathML Cloud to convert the MathML equations to SVG.

https://mathmlcloud.org
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:54 AM   #7
poppe
poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Onyx Boox i86
A couple of years later and I'm in the same situation. wanting to read a epub with mathml formulas.

@kovidgoyal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC calibre's PDF output has suport for using MathJax when converting to PDF, so you might be better off converting to PDF (sized for your device screen).
I can read them in calibre without problem. When I try to convert the epub to pdf the pdf is without the mathjax rendering. Is it possible to get a pdf with the correct rendering, if so how do I do it?

Thanks for a great program by the way!
poppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppe View Post
A couple of years later and I'm in the same situation. wanting to read a epub with mathml formulas.

@kovidgoyal

I can read them in calibre without problem. When I try to convert the epub to pdf the pdf is without the mathjax rendering. Is it possible to get a pdf with the correct rendering, if so how do I do it?

Thanks for a great program by the way!
Convert the math formulas to SVG. There are websites out there that will do this. Google is your friend.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:36 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

if its not working for you then follow the instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
Old 02-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #10
poppe
poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Onyx Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Convert the math formulas to SVG. There are websites out there that will do this. Google is your friend.
I have googled a couple of hours now and found nothing that is supposed to convert an epub with mathml to svg. I tried two different conversion tools that convert epub to svg but non worked. I think I'm not so friendly with google, but perhaps you are a bigger friend and could point me with a link to where I could convert . To understand it correctly, you mean I should convert the whole book to svg or just the mathml? If just the mathml what would the steps be without manually editing the whole book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
if its not working for you then follow the instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
Thanks a lot I will do that. And thanks again for the excellent software

Last edited by poppe; 02-06-2023 at 03:15 PM.
poppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There used to be sites that supported creating equations and supported mathML and could output SVG. No idea where they've gone.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:53 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There used to be sites that supported creating equations and supported mathML and could output SVG. No idea where they've gone.
I'm wondering if the poster is trying to convert the epub not the MathML equations? I found several sites that would convert MathML to svg but none that would take an epub with embedded MathML and convert that to svg. Sadly, the MathML Cloud site by Benetech is no longer supported.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, formula, kindle paperwhite, math function