Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N gets new CEO

http://fortune.com/2015/07/02/barnes-and-noble-ceo/

Quote:

The largest U.S. bookstore chain said on Thursday that it had hired Sears Canada CEO Ron Boire to be its new chief executive starting September 8, touting his “extensive experience” in launching electronics products in his career, which included earlier senior jobs at Best Buy ( BBY 0.09% ) and Sony Electronics.

Boire—who has only been CEO of the faltering Sears Canada department store chain for 10 months (and the retailer’s third boss in just two years), following a nearly three-year stint as chief merchant of the struggling Sears and Kmart chains in the U.S—will have his hands full trying to revive Barnes & Noble’s Nook business.
More at the source.

He could hardly do worse than his predecessors, now could he?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
1) Does this guy have a record of success somewhere?

2) Who is really in charge at B&N?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
1) Does this guy have a record of success somewhere?

2) Who is really in charge at B&N?
1- Apparently not. But he has experience keeping sinking retailers afloat. Or getting out while the getting is good. Your pick.

2- Turns out he is.

Fortune got it wrong: he is the new B&N CEO, not Nook alone.

(The thread will need a title change. Hint!)

Here's another more accurate report:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...da-as-new-ceo/

Nate thinks he might shut down Nook.

(So much for trusting FORTUNE.).
Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
What I'm thinking is...Didn't Len Riggio sell a sizeable amount of shares? If not, I would say that he is still the man in charge, regardless of titles.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
What I'm thinking is...Didn't Len Riggio sell a sizeable amount of shares? If not, I would say that he is still the man in charge, regardless of titles.
Probably.
The more I see of B&N and Riggio's manuevers, the more I'm reminded of Adelphia.
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 AM   #6
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
B&N's demise would not be good for the pbook or ebook business. Not that they are an thriving business, but evolution proves that the fewer the species, the more likely there will be no species at all. We need a few dinosaurs around to ... stop the world from becoming too efficient for its own good.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I fixed the title.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I fixed the title.
Thanks.
I was wondering if any of the moderators cared enough about B&N to fix it.
Nook news don't seem to be too interesting these days.
Too predictable?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Thanks.
I was wondering if any of the moderators cared enough about B&N to fix it.
Nook news don't seem to be too interesting these days.
Too predictable?
I was waiting for the chorus to get through the second verse of "Nearer My God, to Thee" before changing it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was waiting for the chorus to get through the second verse of "Nearer My God, to Thee" before changing it.
Here, then:

Quote:
There let the way appear, steps unto heaven;
all that thou sendest me, in mercy given;
angels to beckon me
nearer, my God, to thee;
nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee
The end is getting ever closer.
It was a big 'berg.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
B&N's customer service has gotten worse too. I purchased a new cover for my HD+ in April of the this year. The bottom right clasp is cracked. I called to have them replace it under warranty since it was only three months old. They informed that accessories are now only warrantied for 14 days. I had this happen to another cover a couple of years ago. That was after 5 months and they replaced that one. Another nail in their coffin as far as I am concerned.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
B&N's customer service has gotten worse too. I purchased a new cover for my HD+ in April of the this year. The bottom right clasp is cracked. I called to have them replace it under warranty since it was only three months old. They informed that accessories are now only warrantied for 14 days. I had this happen to another cover a couple of years ago. That was after 5 months and they replaced that one. Another nail in their coffin as far as I am concerned.
Apache

It sounds like they may be going the way of Borders.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It sounds like they may be going the way of Borders.
No, I don't think so.
Borders was killed by the Publishers pushing it from chapter 11 to chapter 7.
If B&N landed in Chapter 11 (which isn't at all imminent) the BPHs would do whatever it took to prop them up.

What is looking more and more likely is a Nook closure.
Or a sale to a non-entity where it could die unnoticed.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What is looking more and more likely is a Nook closure.
Or a sale to a non-entity where it could die unnoticed.
It's a shame the way the Nook line and their e-store has been so badly mismanaged.

Their first Nook had that neat color screen at the bottom. The Nook Simple touch was beautifully designed. Then they added a light to it. Then the Nook Glowlight came out and it seemed so underwhelming and locked down. That was the device where it felt like they were just playing catch-up to the Kindle.

Also, I think the move to tablets wasn't a good idea. They just didn't have the ecosystem or the savvy to be able to handle it. And it took their eye off of the e-readers and e-book store.

At least that's my "from the outside looking in" perspective. (I used to work there for fun, but left right as the Nook rolled out.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon could buy Nook and just keep the store running. Much as great empires of the past would absorb their defeated enemies and extract tribute rather than decimating them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote