Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Increasing Kindle Fire Browser Speed

An article at Mobile Mag covers how to increase the browser speed on the Kindle Fire. In a nutshell, their advice is to turn off the "Silk Acceleration" and disable plug-ins, but I've included a link to the article.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Funny avatar! Come to think of it I haven't seen the wolf sniffing around our backsides here in this KF thread in a while. I guess he finally got bored... I did read an article that said his beloved Sony rated at the bottom of the list as far as very poor customer service goes, and another article that said that Sony posted yet another yearly loss. Perhaps he rent his clothes, put on sack cloth, and smeared himself with ashes to lament his beloved's woes!

One of the first things many of us discovered very early on was that the Silk accelerator was actually more of a brake. If you look at the Tips thread you will see how we said to turn it off and speed up Silk substantially. There are other settings which make Silk better as well, also listed in the Tips thread.
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Ha. That's one of the first things I wound up doing anyways.

I did some comparative browsing, and there was a noticeable difference in load speed. Nothing that I'd go Hulk and smash over, but I'd prefer the faster speed.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

The first week or two after the Fire was released the Amazon Silk servers were constantly having problems. I guess they were overwhelmed. At any rate, it was common for Silk to stall out on many websites and not be able to load them at all. Turning off acceleration by-passed the Amazon Silk servers and substantially improved performance. Hopefully Amazon corrected the server issues by now (I haven't checked), but I suspect they still act more as a brake than an accelerator.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The first week or two after the Fire was released the Amazon Silk servers were constantly having problems. I guess they were overwhelmed. At any rate, it was common for Silk to stall out on many websites and not be able to load them at all. Turning off acceleration by-passed the Amazon Silk servers and substantially improved performance. Hopefully Amazon corrected the server issues by now (I haven't checked), but I suspect they still act more as a brake than an accelerator.
I havn't turned it off since I got it. Runs fast enough for me.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
Still not a fan of browsing on the fire(I still haven't tried alternate browsers) but I too also out of curiosity turned off the setting and while it's not across the board on every website better, by in large it does give more then a noticeable level of performance increase by turning it off
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A few weeks ago I saw a couple of dozen new Amazon job listings to work on Silk browser. Maybe someday it will live up to the hype or at least work more consistently.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Funny that turning off "acceleration" would speed it up. This "acceleration" is what Amazon describes as predicting what your next move would be, and processing it 'in the cloud' beforehand; many others describe as "Amazon's way of monitoring your every website visit".
I'll stick with Opera Mobile, thanks.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
"Funny that turning off "acceleration" would speed it up."

I agree. Think I read that acceleration caused it to run through Amazon servers. Anyone else read this?

I use the Dolphin browser.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
samefly
...different @#$%
samefly began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Do any of the other browsers perform better?
samefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Try Dolphin or Opera mini
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by samefly View Post
Do any of the other browsers perform better?
I tried opera mini, opera full, dolphin mini and dolphin HD. All were noticeably faster than silk. I ended up sticking with Dolphin HD, which I like the best and was as fast as or faster than the others.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
An article at Mobile Mag covers how to increase the browser speed on the Kindle Fire. In a nutshell, their advice is to turn off the "Silk Acceleration" and disable plug-ins, but I've included a link to the article.
Thank you! I was just about to conclude that the wifi on my new fire was broken, because web browsing was so slow, sometimes even timing out before fulling loading a page.

Turning OFF the browser acceleration made all the difference in the world! "Acceleration" indeed!
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Turning off acceleration does not speed it up. Turning off Java Script does. People and their internet myths.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Turning off acceleration does not speed it up. Turning off Java Script does. People and their internet myths.
I left Java script on.

Turning off acceleration (only change) made a night vs. day difference for me.

Clearly there is something broken in Silk Acceleration or the way it interfaces with my ISP or my kindle at this time.

My experience may not be your experience, but it's no myth.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote