Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
lillfjant
lillfjant began at the beginning.

Device: none
Academic reading: Large screen readers ever releasing?

Hey! Great forum, glad to have joined

I've noticed that there are a ton of people looking for larger screen readers mostly for technical and/or academic reading. It's becoming increasingly frustrating that essentially none (of those I know about) of the large screen ereaders which were supposed to launch in the spring/early summer have made it out, and even more frustrating that no new information has been available since January (with the exception of the QUE who pushed the release date a few times since then).

So what the heck has happened to Asus 950? Samsung E101? Plastic Logic (will it ship in June this time)? The Skiff?

I'm starting to question if I should wait for any of these any longer or if I might just as well buy some other reader. So well I'm kind of curious what your thoughts are on this. Which option would you recommend for basically 95% academic reading from PDFs (mathematical statistics so a bunch of formulas and stuff):

a) Buy whichever next 9''+ reader that is released
b) Go with Kindle DX
c) Go with iRex DR1000s
d) Go with a smaller screen, like Sony PRS 900 Daily

Would you predict/do you know of any 9''+ reader to be released i June/July?

Thanks
lillfjant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
lillfjant

I should add that I live in Europe, so there are some drawbacks with the Sony readers since they for whatever reason don't allow international customers to buy from their store (not a huge drawback since I get most of my PDFs from school though).

I should also note that I don't annotate in my books and won't need any annotation feature on my reader. So the Kindle doesn't lose any points because of that.

The main worries I have about the Kindle DX (international version) is:
* PDF rendering seems to be a bit unstable according to a lot of people. Either it works well or it misses completely
* No hyperlinking between pages which could be annoying

Since I don't really use annotation I sort of like not having a touch screen since I could imagine it just leading to greasing up the screen?
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
cate
cate began at the beginning.

I know what you mean. The Samsung e101 looks really cool, but there were so many of these things announced in January, and now...nothing. What happened? Is there a global shortage of e-ink or something .
cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should consider the iPad; it makes a superb PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
lillfjant

Yeah I've actually just started considering it. Honestly I've been neglecting it in the belief that it will cause eye strain, but from what I've heard now after reading up is that the eye strain isn't that bad. Especially during shorter bursts (1-2h) it might be a non-issue.
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
iPad LCD screen is an eye strainer for me..so still waiting for a good 10 inch e-reader. It should have wi-fi access to me and hopefully with projector connection option for some academic use.

S
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
iPad LCD screen is an eye strainer for me..so still waiting for a good 10 inch e-reader. It should have wi-fi access to me and hopefully with projector connection option for some academic use.

S
Hurts my eyes too. More than an LCD monitor, some how.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Allegedly, Pocketbook 901 is going to be released in July/August in Europe.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
First see, then believe...

I agree with the OP: a lot of promises so far, but no actual products.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
I agree. Still, I believe we may actually see the Pocketbook 901 this summer.
It was shown several times this year. And as they position it as an ebook reader for students, they've got to bring it out before September at least in Ukraine and Russia (1st of September is the beginning of school).

Not sure though, if the reader would be interesting enough for me.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
feelfine
feelfine began at the beginning.

Device: iliad book edition
Yeah, I understand your problem because I just have the same thoughts as you. I was so thrilled about Que and all those promising new technologies out there that I just kept waiting for those new, great products. I have similar needs, big screen for academic, technical pdfs. But as nothing came till June I started considering buying DR1000s. Now with Irex going for Liquidation it is not that great option anymore.
I started to think about Entourage Edge. Maybe you could consider it as well. It should be shipped in Europe on 10th July and from what I have heard on Edge Forum it is really promising. The size is not that much of an issue for me so I suppose I would buy one of those in the end. But I still dream there comes the QUE. It is just so beautiful I have no hope for other ones. We haven't heard a lot about them for a while.
feelfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

I think it's got something to do with E Ink corp not supporting anything bigger than 9.7".

Once the other e-paper companies (Plastic Logic, LG, Bridgestone) get their manufacturing processes going we should see more products. Right now E Ink Co has a near monopoly on the consumer reader display tech and it's really not helping innovation.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
SHORT ANSWER TIME!

Yes.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
John1997
Enthusiast
John1997 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Consider one of the older slate/tablet computers. The Fujitsu ST4121 can be found with indoor/outdoor screens for around $200. The HP/Compag TC1000 and TC1100 are about the same but without an outdoor readable screen. Motion Computing M1200's are even cheaper. All run Windows XP so they support a wide range of eReader software. Yes, they're heavier than one might want, and the battery life is around 2-3 hours. But they work very well for academic reading, plus magazines from Zinio such as Smithsonian and National Geographic are pretty good (only "pretty good" because many of the layouts are two page spreads that don't come out as well).

Yes, it's a compromise, but until something better comes along...
John1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillfjant View Post
Hey! Great forum, glad to have joined

I've noticed that there are a ton of people looking for larger screen readers mostly for technical and/or academic reading. It's becoming increasingly frustrating that essentially none (of those I know about) of the large screen ereaders which were supposed to launch in the spring/early summer have made it out, and even more frustrating that no new information has been available since January (with the exception of the QUE who pushed the release date a few times since then).

So what the heck has happened to Asus 950? Samsung E101? Plastic Logic (will it ship in June this time)? The Skiff?

I'm starting to question if I should wait for any of these any longer or if I might just as well buy some other reader. So well I'm kind of curious what your thoughts are on this. Which option would you recommend for basically 95% academic reading from PDFs (mathematical statistics so a bunch of formulas and stuff):

a) Buy whichever next 9''+ reader that is released
b) Go with Kindle DX
c) Go with iRex DR1000s
d) Go with a smaller screen, like Sony PRS 900 Daily

Would you predict/do you know of any 9''+ reader to be released i June/July?

Thanks
buy the irex dr800 and use it in landscape and fullscreen mode.. you can read a4 pdf with no problem
repods is offline   Reply With Quote