Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read an E-Book Week 2010 is on!

Read an E-Book Week has begun for 2010, and this year promises to outdo all previous years by an order of magnitude. Rita Toews has been working her butt off, interviewing for periodicals and blogs, contacting and drawing in new participants and promoters and twittering until her fingers are hoarse!

As the list of partners and promoters of e-books has grown, the number of participating authors and publishers has increased enormously. On Smashwords, over 3,000 authors will participate in the promotional event. Blio, QBook, Diesel E-Books and Sylvan Dell Publishing have joined most recently. The event has been mentioned as far away as Poland and England and as close to home as the Huffington Post. And the exposure to e-books being created by the soon-to-be-released iPad is drawing even more interested parties in.

This is your chance as well, to get out there and promote e-books to those who may not have tried them, or wonder what the hoopla is all about. If you have a reading device, show it off. If someone has questions about how and where to buy, elucidate them. If someone is looking for new reads, tell them about some of the independents you’ve discovered, or the classics you’ve rediscovered, through e-books. And, of course, find some new authors and reads of your own!

For more information about REBW10 and what you can do, visit www.ebookweek.com.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks, the book looks great!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Read an E-Book Week

Yes, my butt is numb from sitting in front of this computer.

Enjoy your free ebooks!!

http://www.ebookweek.com
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Smashwords traffic seems to be so very heavy today, Steve -- day one of REBW -- that many folks are having trouble getting through. I can only advise that they stick with it. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Coupon Code for Kobo

I went back and looked at the email this participant sent about the coupon.

I seem to have misinterpreted the email. I will correct the listing. I apolize for the inconvenience this caused you.

Rita
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Read an E-Book Week has begun for 2010, and this year promises to outdo all previous years by an order of magnitude. Rita Toews has been working her butt off, interviewing for periodicals and blogs, contacting and drawing in new participants and promoters and twittering until her fingers are hoarse!

As the list of partners and promoters of e-books has grown, the number of participating authors and publishers has increased enormously. On Smashwords, over 3,000 authors will participate in the promotional event. Blio, QBook, Diesel E-Books and Sylvan Dell Publishing have joined most recently. The event has been mentioned as far away as Poland and England and as close to home as the Huffington Post. And the exposure to e-books being created by the soon-to-be-released iPad is drawing even more interested parties in.

This is your chance as well, to get out there and promote e-books to those who may not have tried them, or wonder what the hoopla is all about. If you have a reading device, show it off. If someone has questions about how and where to buy, elucidate them. If someone is looking for new reads, tell them about some of the independents you’ve discovered, or the classics you’ve rediscovered, through e-books. And, of course, find some new authors and reads of your own!

For more information about REBW10 and what you can do, visit www.ebookweek.com.
Damn! Now how in HELL am I supposed to survive by reading just ONE e-book this week!?! Hunh?!?

Man, this whole Read An E-Book Week is gonna play Merry Hell to my reading schedule! (Just started Flint & Spoor's E-ARC of "Threshold" about 5AM and am enjoying it thoroughly! Should be done by 8PM.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Damn! Now how in HELL am I supposed to survive by reading just ONE e-book this week!?! Hunh?!?
You poor, poor guy! Well, okay, normally we wouldn't do this, but... if it's really that hard to manage... okay: You can read all the books you want!

(I can't wait for this particular running gag to run its course... )
Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Smashwords has offered up a great deal of books at great deals! Thank you!

However, so far not happy with some of the other listings/partners with ebook week as their offers, per the ebookweek.com site, can not be found
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You poor, poor guy! Well, okay, normally we wouldn't do this, but... if it's really that hard to manage... okay: You can read all the books you want!

(I can't wait for this particular running gag to run its course... )
Run the gag as long as it lasts. After all, you wouldn't want to be labeled a 'reading elitist' now would you?

Derek
Old 03-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Thanks for the reminder! I'm in there as a participating author, but I haven't blogged about it yet.

Here's a use of ebooks that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: reading the candidates for awards. This is currently Final Ballot season for the Nebula Awards for science fiction and fantasy, and I've loaded my Sony and my Axim with all the finalists (or at least those that are available to SFWA members for download, which is most of them). Some I had to massage into epub format; others I just left as PDFs. I used Calibre to tag them all: "Nebula 2010 Novella," etc., for easy sorting on the Sony. This gives me my best shot yet at actually reading (most) of the works before the ballot deadline.

Okay, so the Nebula candidates aren't all available for free download to the general public, but you get the idea. Voters for the Hugo and others could try this method, too.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Run the gag as long as it lasts. After all, you wouldn't want to be labeled a 'reading elitist' now would you?
Well... I've been called worse...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Here's a use of ebooks that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: reading the candidates for awards...

Okay, so the Nebula candidates aren't all available for free download to the general public, but you get the idea. Voters for the Hugo and others could try this method, too.
Someone needs to tell those publishers to get those books out in ePub, then! What are they waiting for, an engraved invitation?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I am either a really slow thinker, or my calendar is misaligned.

How can you have a contest that runs from Mar 7 - 14 that already has two winners before noon on the first day of the contest?

Edit: Oops, sorry. that's Mar 7 - 13. But still...
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Very cool!

So this is a yearly event? I can't believe I missed it last year :S
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Someone needs to tell those publishers to get those books out in ePub, then! What are they waiting for, an engraved invitation?
WEEEEeeeeeellll... Yes! And they want it engraved on 24K gold sheets with ruby and emerald encrustations weighing in at not less than 2000 carats of first-quality stones. (None less than 25 carats in size.) And hop to it! We've only got six days left to craft it and get it to them!

Derek

Tags
e-books, promotion, read an e-book week, rita toews