Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #541
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I just don't understand why site designers think people prefer to constantly click to new pages to get information that should be available as a list on the main page.

I'm a terrible cook, and a while back I was looking around on the internet trying to find easy recipes. I kept finding sites that would have, for example, "25 quick and easy main dishes". I wanted to see a list of the recipes to see if any of them sounded interesting, but no, they had them in slideshow format so I would have had to click through every one of them just to find the one or two I might be interested in. I gave up on that project in a hurry.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #542
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post
Hi-

24. Bug: When user checks out a title, checkout count does not update in pop-up . Blossom

Is this still an issue?

25: Bug: On Brooklyn PL, must click "Borrow" twice before download. Gunnerp245

Is this still an issue?

26. Bug: On Tennessee READS, audiobook sort by date is broken. Blossom

Is this still an issue?

28. Bug: Remove from Wish List is not working. Blossom

Is this still an issue?
24. No the popup has been removed now when you click Borrow you are taken to your bookshelf.

25. No this seems to be fixed as well.

26. Finally fixed!

28. Fixed a few weeks ago.

My only real complaint is the Available Now being default on READS and Free Library of Philadelphia. Library Collection should be default instead.
Brooklyn has it set this way but other two libraries don't

After evaluating the new design I've grown use to it. I still think Title Info needs to moved up but #6 the covers being too big has also been fixed.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #543
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Does anyone know how purchase recomendations work? My library only alows five recommendations. Is that a life time limit or will my reccommendations that the library purchases disappear at some point? They purchased two of my recommendations but the title is still on my recommendation page even though I have checked the ebooks out and returned one of them.

Is there any way to delete a recommendation? The ebook showed up at another library.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #544
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post
9. Request: Fix inconsistencies accessing Next Gen on mobile devices.

We are rolling out updates to the OMC apps that will enable mobile users to access Next Gen sites from the in-app browser (assuming their library has switched to Next Gen).
This is unacceptable. We should be able to have full access to all the features/formats using a tablet/cell phone and the web browser that comes with it. We should not have to install an app to do what should be available via our web browser. The ability to do this exists. So please do it. I do sometimes browse from my iPad and I do not want to have to install an app because someone's botched the new site.

As it is, the new site is not friendly to tablets and the mobile site is seriously buggy. I may not be at home where the laptop and desktop are. I might only have my tablet or I might only have my cell phone. I don't want to be forced to install the Overdrive app just because your programmers are working on things that have nothing to do with increasing functionality.

Also, are you going to address our desire to have the option to get the old style list back?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #545
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
@Mike@Overdrive:

Thank you very much for the update, as disheartening as it is.

Quote:

6. Request: Reduce size of cover images on Bookshelf. xendula, Blossom, DianNC

Evaluating

12. Request: Restore ability to see all titles in a series. Joykins, xendula
6: Not really what I meant; Make it so the title and author are legible (all of it, not just the first letters) - right now the bent corner at the top covers part of what I may be able to read on the cover graphic, and the bookmark makes sure that only a few characters fit. Also add clickable series name and installment number right there, below it.

12: Also not what quite what I meant. Please always show the series name (and please make it clickable like it used to be) and installment number in any view - Bookshelf, Holds List, Wishlist, Browse/Overview. Also make the author's name clickable like it used to be in any of the views.

In other words, eliminate the extra clicks you introduced with the redesign.

Last edited by xendula; 02-14-2013 at 07:57 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #546
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a dicussion about the Overdrive redesign on amazon.com. link
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #547
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
There is a dicussion about the Overdrive redesign on amazon.com. link
That thread is not nearly as detailed/useful as this one. That one is basically "wow that sucks!".
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #548
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I love this thread because if lurkers become convinced Overdrive is really this bad, that means fewer borrowers and shorter queues

As for the substance, I am a little unsure of myself. Overdrive says the number of clicks is now less. But even though I don't mind it, it does clearly seem to me that there are more clicks. Is that true for everyone? Or is Overdrive simply lying? Or are their programmers just doing their level best, which doesn't happen to be outstanding?

People lie everyday, and I don't believe in getting moralistic about it. Especially as Overdrive is still far superior to 3M Cloud Library systems. So long as I don't have to drive to Brooklyn to get the books, I'm fine with it.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #549
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I love this thread because if lurkers become convinced Overdrive is really this bad, that means fewer borrowers and shorter queues
Always the selfless

Quote:
As for the substance, I am a little unsure of myself. Overdrive says the number of clicks is now less. But even though I don't mind it, it does clearly seem to me that there are more clicks. Is that true for everyone? Or is Overdrive simply lying? Or are their programmers just doing their level best, which doesn't happen to be outstanding?

People lie everyday, and I don't believe in getting moralistic about it. Especially as Overdrive is still far superior to 3M Cloud Library systems. So long as I don't have to drive to Brooklyn to get the books, I'm fine with it.
It takes me many more clicks to achieve the same as before. From browser view, before, I could tell the installment number in a series without any clicks, now it takes me 2. One more click - so 3 clicks in total - showed me all books in a series along with installment number, now 1 more click shows me the series minus the installment number and with cut-off titles and author names.
In the new view, I don't have a clue what order to read the books in: a seven book series requires you to click on each individual book cover to even see what the title of the book is, as well as installment number, then you need to click back and repeat the process - 7 times in all x2, so 14 clicks instead of 3.

Browsing my genre, before was 2 clicks: Browse -> SciFi and Fantasy
Now, 3-5 plus scrolling: Menu -> View more -> scroll, scroll -> view more, but add at least another click in 50% of the cases if I want to find out a book title.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #550
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Totally agree with Xendula - the lack of info when browsing is the most annoying aspect of the new system for me. So frustrating to go through all the clicks only to find out that the book is one you already read, or part of a series you aren't interested in. With the old system, I could easily see it was "vampire series, book 3" and scroll right on by.

Too bad there's not a way to flag books we've read, or know we don't want to read.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #551
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I used to be able to search, get the list and put a book on hold or borrow with one click. Now it takes two clicks for the same thing.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #552
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Totally agree with Xendula - the lack of info when browsing is the most annoying aspect of the new system for me. So frustrating to go through all the clicks only to find out that the book is one you already read, or part of a series you aren't interested in. With the old system, I could easily see it was "vampire series, book 3" and scroll right on by.
Agreed about how they are handling series info now. Totally confusing!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #553
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
It's ridiculously difficult to search series info on the NextGen format. I do it a lot and always switch to 'mobile' view which has all the information 'at a glance'. Still works great since I predominantly search using my PC but if they change that, I'm in trouble (actually, I'll just have to spend a lot more time ... when I could be reading!!!)
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #554
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The mobile site is seriously flawed (it's crap) because we cannot do an advanced with just o search for eBooks other then open ePub with just a web browser. I don't need or want the Overdrive app on my desktop. But Firefox is plenty good enough to do what I need if they'd just fix the dammed mobile site.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #555
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't have that problem. If I do an advanced search from my iPhone Safari browser (and not through the Overdrive app), then I have format options of EPUB, Open EPUB, Overdrive READ or MP3 Audiobooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote