Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
mvox
mvox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
upgrade fails on initial setup

Just tried setting up my new VOX reader and have run into a serious problem. The first part of the setup requires performing an upgrade. The upgrade appears to complete but then I get a flurry of system messages mostly to the effect that ".. process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly."

Forcing the message closed will work but then, when I try to sign into my Kobo account as part of the setup process, the keyboard image loads and is immediately "grayed out" and the system error message reappears. No amount of rebooting or hard resets have any effect. I suspect the upgrade has corrupted some OS code and I don't know how to recover.

HELP!

Last edited by mvox; 11-12-2011 at 04:31 PM.
mvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

I had one person come into my store with this issue. It doesn't seem to be common but I think it has something to do with the firmware update failing part way through (perhaps due to low battery).

Since the Vox won't allow you to leave the setup screen without finishing the setup and since the error won't let you do so the only way to fix this issue that I know of is to plug it into a computer and use adb to restore.

Problem is, that's not something most people can do. You can try calling the Kobo support line, but you'll probably have to exchange it for a new unit. If you came into my store I'd probably be able to fix it, but chances of another store having someone who could do the same aren't high.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-12-2011 at 05:07 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
mvox

Thanks for the quick response.... what is adb, where can I get it and how do I use it to restore? I'm on Windows 7.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvox View Post
Thanks for the quick response.... what is adb, where can I get it and how do I use it to restore? I'm on Windows 7.
It's pretty technical, adb is the "android debug bridge" and you can grab it with the Android SDK, but to use it you'll need to be pretty familiar with unix shell commands, adb's own commands and Android development in general.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
mvox

Thanks again for a quick response.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Unix shell commands and I'm not sure I want to attempt it.

At the moment, I have a call to Kobo but thought I would quiz the gurus here to a quicker response.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
Hey Jeff what store are you at?
Like the work your posting and thinking of picking up a Vox when I am near the city next weekend.
I have to say I am nervous about getting one. I was just on the Face page and there are some pretty pissed users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
I had one person come into my store with this issue. It doesn't seem to be common but I think it has something to do with the firmware update failing part way through (perhaps due to low battery).

Since the Vox won't allow you to leave the setup screen without finishing the setup and since the error won't let you do so the only way to fix this issue that I know of is to plug it into a computer and use adb to restore.

Problem is, that's not something most people can do. You can try calling the Kobo support line, but you'll probably have to exchange it for a new unit. If you came into my store I'd probably be able to fix it, but chances of another store having someone who could do the same aren't high.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie

I'm at the Chapters at Kennedy Commons. 401 & Kennedy.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Oh Geez! I frequent that one a lot
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
No way I grew up just north of there.
I have to bring my son down to Pickering next week so will drop in Friday if that is good. If you can have a Lime(not a lemon) you got yourself a sale.
Hold for Geoff Smith

Quote:
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
jefftheworld
Groupie

I won't be in this friday, but we've got a couple of other fine Kobo experts who can show you the Vox and get you one. Lime Green seems to be the best selling colour, so I'm not sure if it'll be in stock. Probably best to call the store in advance (416-335-4311).
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
mvox

It now works !!!

Today, I decided to go to a few hotspots... started with Bridge Head, could connect, but for some reason, could not finish the setup. Went to Starbuck, and same as Bridge Head.

I went back to Chapters (where I purchased it), told them of my problem, and they happily gave me a new one. From there (at Starbuck), I got it going without fail.

Came back home, entered the mac address in my Wi-Fi setup, and all is well.
Currently downloading my library.

Thank you for earlier responses.

PS. I love it, very nice GUI, and user friendly.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Hi everyone,

It's great to see the support on Mobileread. WRT the first time update, it's important you're connected to a good wireless network to complete the update successfully. On a DSL connection, the update shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes.

Note: If the download of the update fails and you attempt to restart the update multiple times, you may need to restart your Vox to continue.

Message me if you have any questions.

Jason
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote