Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Anyway these products look interesting. Not a fan of the proprietary power cable (why can't you use mini-USB SONY?). I also don't really think there is much value add if you don't particularly like the design.
How is that proprietary? MicroUSB is the new standard. Last I checked, my Seagate portable HDD, Nook Color, PRS-350, HP TouchPad, LG Thrive, and heck, even my parents' feature phones (Samsung & LG) all use MicroUSB.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i have two ebook readers with micro usb
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #33
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
I don't really understand this comment. You got a product that was, what it was when you purchased it. The Clie's all supported the Palm apps for their associated version. The MiniDisk SONY probably supported for an astonishingly long time - well after it was obvious that it was a dead format. I believe it came out in the early 90's and continued just this year.
See last comment. There is really not much to understand.

Quote:
Anyway these products look interesting. Not a fan of the proprietary power cable (why can't you use mini-USB SONY?).
Micro-USB is not proprietary. The Kindle also uses it. Mini-USB is pretty old and I'm seeing less and less products actually using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't think that you can say that the Clie was "abandoned"; they were sold for many years. They were only stopped when PalmOS itself died.

Even MiniDisc was sold for a good number of years. I still have a Sony MiniDisc player.
Perhaps I used the wrong examples. I never had a Clie or a MiniDisc player as those were before my time. But on other forums, when the topic of Sony comes up, I have often seen people discussing how Sony will develop or adopt a new type of product, only to cut short its production or support.

The PSP Go would've been a better, more recent example with which I'm familiar. Don't get me wrong, I am a Sony fan with a PSP, Playstation 2, and Playstation 3. I just don't want to get burned like other people who were early adopters of the PSP Go.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 650 and my digital camera both use have micro-USB. I bought three 6 foot cables (including shipping) for just under $5

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Monoprice is where I go for all my cables, too. Cannot beat their pricing especially when you see how much companies like Monster are charging.
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
Monoprice is where I go for all my cables, too. Cannot beat their pricing especially when you see how much companies like Monster are charging.
I compared one of the cables from Monoprice to the cable that came with the 650 and I have to say that the cable from Monoprice looks more solid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Micro-USB is not proprietary. The Kindle also uses it. Mini-USB is pretty old and I'm seeing less and less products actually using it.
My wife has "borrowed" my Kindle cable a number of times to charge her cellphone. You are exactly right, micro-USB is very common.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Yeah. Just use PayPal or Google Checkout for payment. There was an issue a while back where users' credit card info have been stolen. Can't remember what the final investigation showed.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #39
cfo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
My wife has "borrowed" my Kindle cable a number of times to charge her cellphone. You are exactly right, micro-USB is very common.
Nice. I use my Kindle cable for my phone, too. It's a unique shape and more compact than my phone charger. I just wish Apple would adopt micro-USB for their future iPods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah. Just use PayPal or Google Checkout for payment. There was an issue a while back where users' credit card info have been stolen. Can't remember what the final investigation showed.
I haven't bought cables from Monoprice in years, but I heard about that and thanks for the reminder. I do use PayPal more, if the merchant gives that option. The only time I used Google Checkout was when they had some $10 off deal if you used their service for the first time or something lol. I do miss Microsoft's Bing cashback program though.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #40
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Micro USB for charging has been an extremely important upgrade for manufacturers, because mini USB was too robust and just didn't snap off often enough.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #41
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Does this mean sony will fix the android reader app? I can still access only a fraction of my sony ebooks.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Micro USB for charging has been an extremely important upgrade for manufacturers, because mini USB was too robust and just didn't snap off often enough.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does this mean sony will fix the android reader app? I can still access only a fraction of my sony ebooks.
Good question. Very sad that it's still version 1.0 seven months after release.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #44
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
How is that proprietary? MicroUSB is the new standard. Last I checked, my Seagate portable HDD, Nook Color, PRS-350, HP TouchPad, LG Thrive, and heck, even my parents' feature phones (Samsung & LG) all use MicroUSB.
Um, you did read what I wrote right? I did write mini in error when I meant micro, but still... to recap, I said;

Quote:
Not a fan of the proprietary power cable (why can't you use mini-USB SONY?)
Emphasis on the "can't", as is in they are not - In reference to this nice connector;

... still I guess you helped spawn numerous posts talking about all their other devices using a non-proprietary connection like microUSB.

The Tablet P looks to use a more common coaxial power connector from what I can tell (yellow socket next to power button);

molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
It looks like a sony ericsson connector. Not too hard to get cheap.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote