Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Exclamation Baen Webscription problems?

For some reason today, when I go to the Baen webscription site and try to access the shopping cart, my account, or my order history, IE8 tells me "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage". The "FAQ" and "Contact Us" links work just fine.

Could someone else have a go, so I know if it's a general problem, or just me?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
CathalMagus
CathalMagus is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin V3 (lBook r2) with OpenInkpot
Same here, it times out with:

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."

this Firefox on GNU/Linux - so it must be a server problem.
CathalMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - I was worried that it might be something to do with installing IE8! As you say, sounds like a server problem. I'll leave it until tomorrow and try again.

Thanks for checking for me - I appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Harry,

Actually, the error message you quote is DIFFERENT from the one mentioned by CathalMagus. So, do not be too happy just yet.

There exists a very random error just as you describe, induced on some systems when upgrading to IE8. From my researching the issue it seems to be something connected to the Cryptographic Services (crypt32.dll and the rest) in XP. I have yet to read of a true solution beyond a reboot. Restarting the crypto service does not solve the problem. Nor does re-installing SP3 and updating again.

If you begin to see the error message on login screens then you are in the same boat as a LOT of others out there. Weirdly it is not a new problem but I something in IE8 triggers it for a lot of folks. Though it might also have been in the last round of security patches...nobody is saying what has happened.

You will also find sometimes you can still login to a site via FF, but not always. Also uninstalling IE8 and reverting to IE7 does not seem to fix the issue. The only real solution might be if you created a restore point before the IE8 upgrade, then you can try first uninstalling IE8 then reverting to the pre-IE8 restore point.

Other than the above you can also try an XP "repair" install. That means you need a bootable copy of your XP CD and to run setup with the /r option...google will explain it all. No guarantee that will solve the problem either.

Good luck, it is an ANNOYING issue that can happen multiple times/day. I have been trying to hunt the true cause for over a month now and nothing has come of it because it cannot be repeated intentionally.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's working fine today, anyway.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

cool, Harry...it's a real PITA problem...I am almost ready to reinstall XP for the first time in 4yrs. Which is a personal record for a Windows install...

But keep an eye on it, because it can go away for days and then occur constantly no matter what one does and it's usually on days you just do not have the time to fuss with it...
Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I don't even install IE7 on a clean windows install. I am running win7 and I have never even turned IE8 on once.

You cant beat firefox, or if you want something a lil faster, (FF is perfectly fast for me) Opera or Chrome both knock them out of the park.

but Portable FF ftw.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
cool, Harry...it's a real PITA problem...I am almost ready to reinstall XP for the first time in 4yrs. Which is a personal record for a Windows install...

But keep an eye on it, because it can go away for days and then occur constantly no matter what one does and it's usually on days you just do not have the time to fuss with it...
I did try a number of other secure sites at the time I had the problem, and they worked fine, so I'm pretty certain that the problem really was with Baen.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I don't even install IE7 on a clean windows install. I am running win7 and I have never even turned IE8 on once.

You cant beat firefox, or if you want something a lil faster, (FF is perfectly fast for me) Opera or Chrome both knock them out of the park.

but Portable FF ftw.
Well, to be realistic many folks do need IE installed on their machines. I use Seamonkey for day to day stuff but I do have IE8 installed because certain operations require it, primarily those from Microsoft that I need to maintain my system. Sometimes you have to be practical.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, to be realistic many folks do need IE installed on their machines. I use Seamonkey for day to day stuff but I do have IE8 installed because certain operations require it, primarily those from Microsoft that I need to maintain my system. Sometimes you have to be practical.

Dale
Yup, zactly!

"...grumble you may, but go you must...", it is how it is...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's no reason, though, that it has to be "one or the other"; there is absolutely no problem with having both IE8 and FF3 installed, for those who prefer FireFox. Personally I prefer IE.