Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #31
Herjar
Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Herjar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I started this thread so I should probably report back that I went for the Paperwhite and I'm really happy with it. I have no problems using it with calibre, the battery is great, the light is great, the cover is small and I like that it turns the Kindle on and off. I love the dictionary! That was probably the main reason I went for the Paperwhite as I was told the Kobo dictionary was not good.

Yes there could be improvements, but they're not deal breakers in my opinion. Epub support is not a huge deal as calibre can convert them. Collections could be handled much better, but it works ok if you jailbreak the Kindle.

I have not tried any other e-reader. I can only say that I'm happy with my Paperwhite.
Herjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thanks for coming back and telling us Herjar

I think unless people have a specific requirement that isn't met in certain brands of ereaders, for the most part once people make a decision on which one to buy (especially if its their first ereader) they are generally pretty happy with it once they get it.

Happy reading.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #33
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Thanks Herjar for sharing your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I think unless people have a specific requirement that isn't met in certain brands of ereaders, for the most part once people make a decision on which one to buy (especially if its their first ereader) they are generally pretty happy with it once they get it.
True. You can read ebooks on all of them after all, which is what they are for, right? Now if I could stop fretting over which to buy myself
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Thanks Herjar for sharing your experience!

True. You can read ebooks on all of them after all, which is what they are for, right? Now if I could stop fretting over which to buy myself
You could be like me and get one from each! That way you have all the bases covered.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
[QUOTE=Herjar;2345989]Hi,

-Blue hue from the glowlight. The Kindle light looks better in the videos I have seen, but how much of an issue is this when you see them in person?

Kobo has the best glowlight in the business, according to multiple sites
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
Kobo has the best glowlight in the business, according to multiple sites
That's just a hugely general view and is no longer true anyway. The Kobo Aura HD has the best light & screen of the Kobo readers. The Glo is a little blue & bright in comparison but it is certainly good in terms of how even it is. The light on the new Aura is a bit better but possibly negated by other issues with the screen.

For a while the Aura HD was definitely the best lighted reader available. However, the light & screen of the Paperwhite 2 is probably as good now. Plus the PW2 also has an improved e-ink screen. The contrast is a little better, although the Kobo's do have better font options for you to play with to try and improve the look of the contrast between the text & background.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
That's just a hugely general view and is no longer true anyway. The Kobo Aura HD has the best light & screen of the Kobo readers. The Glo is a little blue & bright in comparison but it is certainly good in terms of how even it is. The light on the new Aura is a bit better but possibly negated by other issues with the screen.

For a while the Aura HD was definitely the best lighted reader available. However, the light & screen of the Paperwhite 2 is probably as good now. Plus the PW2 also has an improved e-ink screen. The contrast is a little better, although the Kobo's do have better font options for you to play with to try and improve the look of the contrast between the text & background.
I personally hate amazon, because they have really bad support for Canadian costumers (i.e., me). The kobo aura hd has better screen resolution and can read epub, which means a lot to me.

You're right; I watched this video and I guess the paperwhite is back on top. oh well, i still love kobo.
:il
Old 11-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #38
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Quote:
oh well, i still love kobo.
:il

Nothing wrong with loving Kobo, especially if you are Canadian! Just as long as you don't let it warp your perspective when you are giving advice on what device to buy
Old 11-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Very true!
I always tell people when they ask me that I like what I have (nook), but they need to go check them out in stores to see what fits their needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd
Just as long as you don't let it warp your perspective when you are giving advice on what device to buy
This is one thing I love about browsing through this forum. Even though there are a lot of brand loyal people -nothing wrong with that-, for the most part everyone gives very impartial advice on choosing what is right for you.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #40
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I just got the Glo. Had a PW1 and have a PW2. Was happy with the PW2 until I couldn't get 200 books to fit on it (another forum) - some of the books are over 200mb and they are my favorites. I camp a lot and need to carry my favorites with me - never know what I'm in the mood to read.

Anyway, went looking for an ereader comparable to the PW2, but with an sd slot. Found the Glo in a nearby store and got it yesterday.

Read a couple of short books on the Glo. I would say the lighting and page turning speed are comparable to the PW1. However, the background is much lighter on the Glo than either of the PWs - of course that might just be the particular ones that I have. After reading on the Glo, I tried reading on the PW2 - couldn't do it! The Glo has so much darker and clearer fonts that there is no eye strain at all - and I can make the fonts smaller so I can read more per page. And, I don't have to "fiddle" with my ebooks (to make sure they are not too large) to get my favorites to fit - love that micro sd!

All comes down, of course, to reading habits, needs. Just wanted to give my opinion of the 2.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #41
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic

kobo has epub so 4 me it wins by far
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #42
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I use the email function from Amazon to load books to my iPod and kindle. This allows the two to synch with each other.

Does Kobo offer something similar to this with their app and e-readers?
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, Kobo does not have the email function that Amazon does. There are no ways to sync the status of sideloaded books between the Kobo ereaders and their apps.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I personally hate amazon, because they have really bad support for Canadian costumers (i.e., me).
I'm surprised to hear that - customer service is something that Amazon are generally praised for. In what way have you experienced bad support?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #45
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I've received excellent customer service from Amazon. I only wish that many of their services weren't crippled to Canadians.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle kobo glo