Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Given that it's a Python script, it's trivial to get that script to loop through a list of files. I haven't looked at Paul's script, but if you have problems getting it to work on multiple files, I'm confident that someone can help with that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Check Kindle eBook DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You might also find this more sophisticated script useful. It not only identifies the DRM, but also the kind of eBook.

Hmm.. come to think of it, it probably now needs updating for Print Replica and KF8 files... always something new!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks for that Paul. Is there a way to do more than one file or must they be done individually.

Carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Given that it's a Python script, it's trivial to get that script to loop through a list of files. I haven't looked at Paul's script, but if you have problems getting it to work on multiple files, I'm confident that someone can help with that.
Two other thoughts (I'd do one or both myself if I were a python programmer):

1. add multiple file capability, text file output and a gui.
2. add multiple file capability and make it a Calibre plug-in.

Also distribute it in Tools.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem (as I see it) is a lot of people who have only really used a GUI get lost with a command line (CMD, Shell, etc.). What someone needs to do is give the OP a step-by-step including CDing to the correct directory where the eBooks live. Just giving the command to run won't help since the OP doesn't even know how to get to the proper directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
Do you see that when you open the command window it's in the subdirectory 'C:\Users\Big McLh>'? You need both 'kindledrm.py and the file you're checking in that subdirectory. Then type 'kindledrm.py thefilename.azw' and press 'ENTER'.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks for that Paul. Is there a way to do more than one file or must they be done individually.

Carol
If you have a Mac, you can use the Applescript wrapper and drag & drop as many as you like at once, or even just the folder containing the ebooks.

On Windows or Linux, you'd have to write some kind of batch file wrapper.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you have a Mac, you can use the Applescript wrapper and drag & drop as many as you like at once, or even just the folder containing the ebooks.

On Windows or Linux, you'd have to write some kind of batch file wrapper.
Am on Windows 7. I tried

c:\drm check>drmcheck.py "c:\ebooks\*.*"

but I guess that was wrong.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I tried

Try:
Code:
echo off
for %a in (c:\ebooks\*.*) do kindledrm "%a"
echo on
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Am on Windows 7. I tried

but I guess that was wrong.

Carol
Yeah, I tried "*.azw" and it was no good, I don't think either the script or python likes "*". It said 'NOT MOBI', whatever that means?!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Try:
Code:
echo off
echo on
That worked like a champ. So in addition to that how can one redirect the output to a text file?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
That worked like a champ. So in addition to that how can one redirect the output to a text file?
Try this:
Code:
echo off
for %a in (c:\ebooks\*.*) do kindledrm "%a" >> out.txt
echo on
NOTE: I don't have windows, so I'm just guessing. It should work, but I can't guarantee it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Try this:
Code:
echo off
for %a in (c:\ebooks\*.*) do kindledrm "%a" >> out.txt
echo on
NOTE: I don't have windows, so I'm just guessing. It should work, but I can't guarantee it.

First off, the command needs to be 'kindledrm.py' (forgot to mention this earlier).

The redirect operator needs to be a single '>', not '>>'.

When it is done the output text file only has the last of the processed file listed, so I assume that its re-writing the file on each pass of the loop instead of appending to it.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:

First off, the command needs to be 'kindledrm.py' (forgot to mention this earlier).

The redirect operator needs to be a single '>', not '>>'.

When it is done the output text file only has the last of the processed file listed, so I assume that its re-writing the file on each pass of the loop instead of appending to it.
Yes, because you're using ">" instead of ">>"
> overwrites, >> appends.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK. Exactly what did you type in the cmd line. I'm not having any luck.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes, because you're using ">" instead of ">>"
> overwrites, >> appends.
I got an error with that so I tried the single and it worked like I said. I suppose the error was complaining that the output file didn't exist, however it created one. Then it it kinda' worked.

Anyway, now it works like a champ,

This woke the decades old programming part of my brain, at least a tiny bit.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Try:
Code:
echo off
echo on
Tried this

C:\Users\Carol\DRM Check>drmcheck.py "c:\ebooks\%a"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Carol\DRM Check\drmcheck.py", line 211, in <module>