Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #106
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.2.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • When syncing a list, only sync books not already on the device

This change is relatively small but important. When you sync a list to a device, only books that are not already on the device will be sent to it.

This will allow two things:
  1. Users who want just a single list to sync to their device can now do so, without worrying about the time taken to sync the whole list every time.
  2. Users who want a tag to indicate a book is on a list for their device can now keep that tag on the book for as long as the book is on the list. Previously users would often choose the "Clear this list after sync" option which had the side effect of removing tags for those books at the same time.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #107
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I'm feeling lazy, so I'm going to ask a couple of questions I should be able to figure out myself ...

How does it know the book is already on the device? While messing around with tweaking epubs I've ended up with some (but only some) duplicates on my reader -- and I haven't taken the time to figure out why ....
Is it the uuid in the metadata.opf file? (Except that a lot of my books don't have a metadata.opf file what's up with that?)
If I tweak-epub, modify-epub, or convert, is it still the same book?
What if I copy it to another library?

So now if I clean up books with Modify Epub, and put them on a reading list, they won't be sent on sync - is that correct?
Instead can I view the list, select all, and send to device, to get the same result I had before v1.2.1?

Thanks
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #108
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not able to answer your question on the intimate details of matching on the device, i haven't looked at that code.

I can tell you that all this plugin does is a search for ondevice:true at the time it does a sync, so the same as the tick marks you see in the gui.

As for forcing a book back onto your device that you have modified, yes the usual send to device will work. I mentioned in an earlier post that such a case would become a problem for this plugin by only syncing the differences to a list. The only potential solution from a plugin perspective I could think of was an option for a list to always sync the entire list. So you could create an "Edited" list for instance with this option on that always gets synced. If people think that would be useful I will add it.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #109
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
@kiwidude

It's great as is.
I can certainly handle three extra mouse clicks to make it serve my purpose, which is slightly off-track from it's designed purpose

Thanks!
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #110
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
How does it know the book is already on the device? While messing around with tweaking epubs I've ended up with some (but only some) duplicates on my reader -- and I haven't taken the time to figure out why ....
Is it the uuid in the metadata.opf file? (Except that a lot of my books don't have a metadata.opf file what's up with that?)
If I tweak-epub, modify-epub, or convert, is it still the same book?
What if I copy it to another library?
There is a long discussion of how book matching works in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134963
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #111
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Kiwidude, this is really just a question, not necessarily a suggestion...

Is it possible maybe down the road that there would be some mechanism for doing the opposite - marking books for removal from the device on the next sync?

Reason: When I finish a book, everything from that point is usually done on the computer - update Goodreads, mark as "read" in calibre, then browse my TBR lists in calibre looking for the next book. I (for some reason) don't like deleting books from the Kindle, and by the time I hook it up again, I often forget to do so via calibre.

It's entirely possible that I'm the only user who would use something like this, but I'm sure if I'm wrong, my twin Nyn will be a long momentarily to correct that notion.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #112
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

Is it possible maybe down the road that there would be some mechanism for doing the opposite - marking books for removal from the device on the next sync?

Reason: When I finish a book, everything from that point is usually done on the computer - update Goodreads, mark as "read" in calibre, then browse my TBR lists in calibre looking for the next book. I (for some reason) don't like deleting books from the Kindle, and by the time I hook it up again, I often forget to do so via calibre.

It's entirely possible that I'm the only user who would use something like this, but I'm sure if I'm wrong, my twin Nyn will be a long momentarily to correct that notion.
I don't know about Nyn,but it is certainly an option I would use if it were available. I don't have a problem forgetting to delete it, but I do sometimes "lose" it either on my Kindle or in my Library. I have a "Currently Reading" collection, and will sometimes remove the book from the collection but not the device itself.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #113
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:

lol, while I would not mind an easier way to accomplish this, I am a little leery of using it unless I could figure out a way to fit it into my daily practices. See I use the fetch annotations feature to download my mbp files so I can save a copy of my bookmarks and notes in my books and to keep a record of the dates I finish a book, just in case. But since I have saved searches to use to make sure I have downloaded my annotation file and I have a saved search to grab those books from the kindle which I want removed, this process might be made simpler with a plugin because I am known to forget to change the custom column in Calibre that tells me to change the status of the book to not be on the kindle. But I am not sure how I would integrate that into my workflow, I would not be presumptious to ask you to incorporate the fetch annotation feature into the plugin because I know that only works with kindles. But if you add the feature, I will find a way to make it work for me...
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #114
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
nyn,

I would really love a detailed list of your process. I've read your posts, I find them very informative and have often wondered about your calibre setup and process.

Anyway if you feel inclined to share, enquiring minds want to know.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #115
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
nyn,

I would really love a detailed list of your process. I've read your posts, I find them very informative and have often wondered about your calibre setup and process.

Which part?? I can give you a breakdown of the steps I take from adding a book to Calibre, to adding it to kindle? Do you want to know about the backup process, the goodreads process, the reading list process, the editing process? Tomorrow I will start writing it all down, hopefully I won't bore you all.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #116
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, it sounds so intense.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #117
Stampercam
Connoisseur
Stampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to beholdStampercam is a splendid one to behold

Device: ipad, MiGear
Quote:

I gotta say I like this idea too.... I get lazy about removing books from my device. Particularly now that the adding is automated. Doing everything through calibre rather than my device is a great idea.
Stampercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #118
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
nyn,

Here are my processes, I do not think I forgot any.

Startup of Calibre

1. check plugin updater script to see if it is necessary to download updates to plugins
2. check to see if Calibre needs to be updated

Add Books

1. download book to k4pc, I like to keep a local copy of all books I've purchased from

Amazon. I also download epub books to Adobe Digital Editions for other ebook resellers.
2. add book to calibre
3. edit and download metadata
4. update page and word count with count pages plugin
5. run manage series plugin if necessary to adjust series info
6. run saved searches to make sure I have not missed any metadata fields

Reading Lists

1. add book to reading list if it is a book I want to read soon
2. if book is on the reading list, also add it to the kindle sync list
3. if book is on the reading list, add it to the galaxy tab list, this list is necessary

because I use my galaxy as my backup reading device at night.
4. add book to the folder list where it was purchased from for backup purposes
5. if necessary rearrange reading list to the order I currently want to read books

Backup

1. check the reading plugin to see which folders need to be connected and backed up
2. connect folders in order for books to be backed up

Goodreads

1. add book to three lists, one for to-read, one for format (ebook, audiobook or

paper/hardback), usually at this point it is only ebook.
2. download shelf info from goodreads into custom column

Kindle Collections

1. run saved searches to upload to kindle any books marked on custom column as belonging

on kindle. Also remove any books which are marked as removal from kindle.
2. Create collections based on tags and secondary custom column for tags. The main tags

column has a minimum of 1 book whereas the secondary tag has a minimum of 5 books. My

main tag field is only a single value based on my own personal tag list, which I have 28

of. The secondary tag column could be multivalued and it has any secondary tags which I

think it belongs to and whether or not it is on the reading list tag.
3. If necessary to change covers, run copy cover to device plugin to put new/changed

covers on kindle to be used as screensavers
4. Once I am ready to disconnect and read with the kindle, I will restart it to make sure

it has the most recent version of collections. There are many times when I will run the

kindle collection plugin more than once before I will actually restart the kindle.
5. I only load books to galaxy tab about once a week or when I want to read and I know

the book I am reading is not on the device

Reading process

1. read book on kindle, mark with bookmarks or notes if necessary
2. when book is finished, fetch annotation into calibre to upload book with bookmarks,

notes and date book was finished being read
3. update custom column with date book read
4. re-convert book to mobi, include the metadata onto first page in order to save the

annotation/date read info with book.
5. make a backup copy of book in epub format.
6. update the goodreads status with date read and ratings (done manually on goodreads

site)
7. mark the book to be removed from kindle and whether or not it goes on the re-read list
8. mark the book to be backed up to folder
9. move on to the next book on the reading list

Weekly Database Maintainance

1. run check library to fix any necessary discrepancies
1. run quality check plugin to fix problem books
3. run find duplicates plugin to correct any duplicate books

NOTE: While I am performing the above steps I switch viewing filter from the view

manager plugin on many occasions to get the right columns to show for what I am working

on. I also have several saved searches to help with most of not all of the above

processes.

INSTALLED PLUGINS:

Barnes & Noble
Copy Cover to Device
Count Pages
Fantastic Fiction
Find Duplicates
Generate Cover
Goodreads
Goodreads Sync
Kindle Collections
Manage Series
Quality Check
Quick Preferences
Reading List
Search the Internet
User Category
View Manager
Walk Search History
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #119
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nyn - you are like a kiwidude plugin poster child...

With regards to lists with removing items, see the attached screenshot. It is introducing the concept of a list type. So you can make:
  • a list that syncs only items not already on the device (default), or
  • a list that always syncs all of its contents (for people who modify their books and want them forced back onto the device each time), or
  • a list of books that you want removed from your device if they are present

For the first type of list, you will likely want "Clear this list after a sync" to be unchecked. For the second type you could go either way depending on what you want to do. For the third type you would probably want "Clear" to be checked.

Hopefully that will keep everyone happy. Just testing it at the moment and then will release it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_6_Configuration3.png
Views:	491
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	73064  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #120
beckywc
Addict

@Kiwidude that is so cool.

@nyn, I can now see I don't use Calibre nearly as efficently as I should. I'm really gonna have to sit down and determine what I want to accomplish with Calibre regarding my library management of my books. I'm not even close to be a power user as yourself.