Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
TheNewton
TheNewton began at the beginning.

Device: none
ereader for Dad

Do any ereaders have a global font size setting? My dad now needs large print and I am looking for one that I could pre-set for him so any book he would bring up would automatically default to the largest font size.

Last edited by TheNewton; 01-20-2011 at 10:51 AM.
TheNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I have no experience with resizing fonts on other eBook readers, but my nook holds the last font size you set across books. The setting looks like it would be for the individual book, but it holds when you move to new books.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
TheNewton

Thank you. You know the first place I stopped was Barney Noble (Eden Prairie) and I went to the little kiosk they have set up for the Nook and the person behind the counter, though very friendly, had absolutely no clue.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewton View Post
Thank you. You know the first place I stopped was Barney Noble (Eden Prairie) and I went to the little kiosk they have set up for the Nook and the person behind the counter, though very friendly, had absolutely no clue.
did you phrase it as "Global" font size? I too was alittle baffled by that statement.

But yes the nook does hold the last font size set for all books.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Do any ereaders have a global font size setting? My dad now needs large print and I am looking for one that I could pre-set for him so any book he would bring up would automatically default to the largest font size.
They all do that — retain the font size setting until it's changed. [EDIT: Apparently, except the Sonys! The Kindle certainly does.]

If you're going to be managing the purchase and loading of books, then almost any eReader would do. But for ease of use in buying and loading ebooks, I don't think you can beat the Kindle, since it can all be done from the Kindle itself.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-20-2011 at 12:52 PM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I think what you're asking is if you can set a default font size so that your Dad wouldn't have to adjust it at all. I think the answer to that one is "no."

On my Sony, I've noticed that each book seems to have its own font settings. When you open a new book, it opens as "S" (small). On some books this is really, really tiny. On others it's not too bad, but I always bump up the font size to "M" - on a few books I need to bump it up to "L."

But once you've set it for the book, it retains that setting every time you go back to that book.

Not sure how the other readers work, but they may be similar.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
That is very true. Depending on the format of the book and other factors I don't totally understand, the font size of "medium" may look absolutely huge on one book while it's somewhat small on another. I've had a few books that look great on medium size on my nook, but on a Sony PRS-600, even the smallest text size was too big. (I haven't seen it the other way, but probably because the nook has a few smaller and larger text sizes than the Sony eBook readers... which are great readers by the way!)

Since you set the font size per book, the setting is usually pretty easy to get to. There's not too much to learn in the settings your dad would need to get to, and most eBook readers are set up in a way that keeps the settings you do need from being overwhelming, so it is something you could easily teach him to set himself until he finds a size that is comfortable for him.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
TheNewton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
I think what you're asking is if you can set a default font size so that your Dad wouldn't have to adjust it at all. I think the answer to that one is "no."

On my Sony, I've noticed that each book seems to have its own font settings. When you open a new book, it opens as "S" (small). On some books this is really, really tiny. On others it's not too bad, but I always bump up the font size to "M" - on a few books I need to bump it up to "L."

But once you've set it for the book, it retains that setting every time you go back to that book.

Not sure how the other readers work, but they may be similar.
That's how it has been explained to me in the past. That the size would just hold for that particular book and once he went to a new book he would have to adjust it again. Besides bad eye sight, he has very large fingers so it makes for a bad combination when working with small electronic devices.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
That is very true. Depending on the format of the book and other factors I don't totally understand, the font size of "medium" may look absolutely huge on one book while it's somewhat small on another. I've had a few books that look great on medium size on my nook, but on a Sony PRS-600, even the smallest text size was too big. (I haven't seen it the other way, but probably because the nook has a few smaller and larger text sizes than the Sony eBook readers... which are great readers by the way!)

Since you set the font size per book, the setting is usually pretty easy to get to. There's not too much to learn in the settings your dad would need to get to, and most eBook readers are set up in a way that keeps the settings you do need from being overwhelming, so it is something you could easily teach him to set himself until he finds a size that is comfortable for him.
true story, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo is great example it has a very small font size to start with. I normally use small, when I read that book, that small was micro small, had to bump it up to medium.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's how it has been explained to me in the past. That the size would just hold for that particular book and once he went to a new book he would have to adjust it again. Besides bad eye sight, he has very large fingers so it makes for a bad combination when working with small electronic devices.
On the Kindle (I have one in front of me) the font size is global. If I set it to the largest size of the eight available (which gives one to two words per line and four lines per page!), then switch to a book I've never opened on the Kindle, the font size in the new book is still the largest size.

Apologies for not knowing about the Sony. I really ought to have known - I just don't switch font sizes much, and use the Kindle as my main ereader now.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:

then I would recommend a Sony for eink and Nook color for LCD.

Sony would provide a full touch screen on eink so big fingers won't get in the way.

the Nook color alsos a full touch screen but in color on a 7 inch screen.

Actually your father with bad eye sight might be better suited for the LCD screen. It'll be a bit brighter if need be, larger Font size and the text is very very crisp, since it is color you'll have a true contrast ratio, and it'll be better than anything eink can offer at this stage.

He might enjoy that better.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
TheNewton

Thanks for everyone's help. I myself have never had an issue between eink or LCD, just looking for the easiest option for my Dad. I have never used the Kindle but just the look of that very tiny keyboard at the bottom, (even if he never had to use it), might be a bit much for him. I guess I will have to make a few more trips to Best Buy in hopes that one day they actually have the displays running so I can mess with each a bit.

With the population on average getting older, one would wonder if there would be a market for something like a Kindle/Nook LT (Large Type). Very simple ereader with larger, (clown), buttons and all books would show up in a large bold font.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I love my Kindle, but the font size on the Home Page (where you select the book to read), and the menus, are not adjustable. Don't know about the Sony or Nook.

Maybe an iPad? Then you can use multiple applications for all the book stores (Amazon, Sony, Kobo, B&N, etc.). Unless that's too expensive.

If your Dad has floaters in his eyes, as I do, and many older people do, backlit screens are a problem. E-ink is much better if you have floaters. I love my iPad, but not for reading - my Kindle is far better for that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know for the Kindle you have a 30 day return window so you could get him one and see how well it works.

I know that the Kindle holds the font size across books but it does not alter the size of the font on the menu. I don't know if the others allow the font size to change on the menu pages.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. I myself have never had an issue between eink or LCD, just looking for the easiest option for my Dad. I have never used the Kindle but just the look of that very tiny keyboard at the bottom, (even if he never had to use it), might be a bit much for him. I guess I will have to make a few more trips to Best Buy in hopes that one day they actually have the displays running so I can mess with each a bit.

With the population on average getting older, one would wonder if there would be a market for something like a Kindle/Nook LT (Large Type). Very simple ereader with larger, (clown), buttons and all books would show up in a large bold font.
Well the Kobo does have a big old "Clown" button for navigation. If you have a Borders in your area you can could that one a test drive as well.

It's a simple basic one. It's nice, it's my favorite budget ereader and actually would buy that as a second choice to my Nook. I really like the sony's but they are overpriced and their homebase platform is much to be desired.

but overall I would look at the Nook color with your dads poor eyesight. I think the extra crispness of the sreen of the nook color might be favorable for your father.