Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
How Much Will You Pay For an E-Book?

As a Kindle owner as well as an author, I'm wondering how much you all are willing to pay for an e-book. Do you have an absolute cutoff point, or does it just depend on the author? Are you likely to buy an e-book that's priced more than a paper one?

Drew
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I'm one of the more "frugal" e-readers out there.

1. With all the free horror/suspense/mystery/thriller books (my favorite genre) that become free from time to time, I seldom "purchase" books anymore. And the free books are actually very good so I don't have the craving to go purchase others. Before my Kindle, I would spend hundreds of dollars on books yearly.

2. I will pay whatever Amazon charges for authors I religiously follow, such as Stieg Larsson and Daniel Silva.

3. For unknown authors, I will only consider buying theirs if there are good reviews and the price is below $4-5. I personally wouldn't consider buying any book above that threshold because, again, of the free books that come from time to time. This way also lets me discover new authors.

4. There are tons of free books and if they continue to come out at the rate they are currently coming, I may never have to spend money on books ever again!

5. But I think I'm in the minority here. I'm pretty sure people are much more willing to spend more money on e-books.

6. I will never buy an e-book that's priced more than a paper one.

Last edited by vega07; 09-04-2010 at 02:59 AM.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Depends on the author for me.

If it's one of my favourite authors with a brand new ebook, I'll probably go up to around £7. For one of their old ebooks ie one I've read in paper format already, up to £5.

For authors I've never tried before, I might pay £3-£4 depending on reviews etc.

Most of the ebooks I read are free (classics or Amazon freebies) but I pay for around 2-3 ebooks per month.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kaufman View Post
As a Kindle owner as well as an author, I'm wondering how much you all are willing to pay for an e-book. Do you have an absolute cutoff point, or does it just depend on the author? Are you likely to buy an e-book that's priced more than a paper one?
No, I don't have an absolute high end cutoff though I loathe paying more than ten dollars.

It would be a rare instance when I would pay more for an ebook than buy the paper copy instead.

By the way, the author is not as important to me as the genre. I would not buy a horror or romance novel regardless of the author, but thats just me.

Other people's mileage may vary.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Delta Whiskey
Delta Whiskey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If the ebook is more expensive than the paper version then I'll buy the paper book. There is no reason for an ebook to priced higher given the extra costs of a real book, printing and distribution for example. I would like to see more authors self publishing their work, keeping the cost down for the reader and giving the author more of the cover price.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kaufman View Post

in germany, the average price for a hardcover book is round about 20 EUR (25 USD). The paperback is mostly between 8 EUR and 12 EUR (10 USD to 15 UDS). And this is the price I am willing to pay for a book.

I am willing to pay the same price for an e-book as for a paperback. Mostly, the price for an e-book is just a little lower than for a paperback (1 or 2 EUR).

Sometimes, there is only the hardcover and the e-book available. In this case, the price for an e-book is a little lower than for the hardcover. Which means, I will wait for the paperback an then buy the e-book.

What I am willing to pay not depend on author. It only depend on how hard I want to read this book!

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #7
J-P
J-P began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3g
I rarely pay for ebooks. I like having a hard copy... the only real exception that I make is when it's a book that I'm using for reference/paid work. Practically the only books I've paid for so far have been Programming, HTML 5,CSS 3, application guides and reference books; which I find very useful to have in ereader form.

I'm one of the people that actually wish that there were such a system whereby - when I buy a paper copy of a book, an ebook is included into the cost or made a free download.

Amazon could easily make this happen(?) I'd purchase a shiny new copy of your new novel say... the paperback or hardback version. Then hey presto! I have a notification from Amazon telling me that the ebook version is now free to download. I can then sit back and read the beginning whilst waiting for the delivery truck to arrive.

I'm guessing I'm not the first person to think of this though... So I can only wish that one day it could be reality. Unfortunately, until then - I'm sticking with free downloads.

Make sense?
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
robins777
Enthusiast
robins777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-- Archos 5 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
I'm one of the more "frugal" e-readers out there.

1. With all the free horror/suspense/mystery/thriller books (my favorite genre) that become free from time to time, I seldom "purchase" books anymore. And the free books are actually very good so I don't have the craving to go purchase others.

6. I will never buy an e-book that's priced more than a paper one.
I agree with "vega07" on several points made.

I would never pay more than half the price of a paper book. An as most of the paper books I buy are under £3, many under £2 I honestly don't think I will be buying many e-books for my, yet to arrive, Kindle. I have downloaded many free books to load onto it when it arrives.

I have seen several books on Amazon (UK) for just over £1 from little known authors and have downloaded and read samples of these and a few I intend to purchase.

I am one of those people who have never bought an MP3, paid to watched "pay to view" TV, I don't subscribe to satallite TV and seldom go to the cinema. I prefer to buy the CD or DVD/Blu Ray, but even then I have a cut of point of how much I will pay for it.
robins777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I'm finding the kindle store to bring out the worst in me as far as my impulsiveness goes. Even if there's a paper book for way cheaper on amazon, I usually go with the kindle version because of the instant gratification, and the ability to save space on my bookshelf.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It depends on the author. But, never more than what the current release of the physical book is going for.

If I'm willing to pay a certain price to read a story on sliced-up, pulped dead trees... then I'm willing to pay that price to read the same story on an electronic device. I don't make a distinction between the different media, it just all boils down to how bad I want to read the book.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robins777 View Post
I would never pay more than half the price of a paper book. An as most of the paper books I buy are under £3, many under £2 I honestly don't think I will be buying many e-books
When it comes to works of fiction I am very similar to robins777, I have around 50 books on my Kindle so far which have cost me a grand total of £0.75. If it were a text book, or a particular translation of a philosophical text I would pay considerably more, but never more than the paperback price. I have been deliberating over whether to purchase a text book from Amazon that I already have a physical copy of just to lighten the load of my bag each day. The difficulty is it costs more than I bought the text for (2nd hand admittedly)

I have patience when it comes to fiction books, I can quite happily just wait until a book eventually comes down in price & read it then.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I am about to get my first ebook reader -- K3 -- so I can answer based only on where I am now as a pbook reader. My main motivations for moving to ebooks are to avoid the weight of lots of books when travelling and to avoid needing more shelf space. I am aged 70 and have accumulated many thousands of pbooks, so shelf space is now a pressing problem. I hate getting rid of books, but I think I'm going to have to do so with large numbers over the coming months.

My book buying to date is based mainly on buying books because I have seen an interesting review and they are mainly non-fiction. I am prepared to pay up to about £35 for a key book, but do look for cheaper options. And anything over £15, I think very seriously about whether I really need it and will really read it. (I have a backlog of around 4 years' worth of unread, good books.)

When it comes to fiction, I long ago read most of the English classics and have got bored by most serious fiction. I now mostly read genre fiction for relaxation and journeys. For that, I either buy more by an author I already like or I like to look at a bit of the writing and see a teaser of the plot/characters so I get a feel for whether I'm likely to want to go further. If I want to read such a book, I'll usually pay up to £10, or perhaps a little more for a really good known author. But I would be reluctant to pay more for most ebooks than for a paperback. And the convenience wouldn't win over price when it comes to ebooks versus hardbacks.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have bought 18 books from Amazon now for my kindle and they range from 0.62p to £6.51. I would baulk at paying more than £7.00 a book, I have 10 samples as well and two of them are over that at nearly £9.00 so I am happy to wait for them to reduce in price.

The silly thing is I would pay that for my favorite authors but they are not available on Kindle!

Its not a big thing for me as I bought the Kindle for my fan fiction (which is free) but I think the ebook price question would go away a bit if we didn't have to compromise on authors we could read.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I actually will pay more for an e-Book than a p-Book. But certain conditions has to be met.

A reference work that is more convenient as an electronic edition. Most likely due to searching or need for annotations.

A newly issued book that is available only as hardback and Kindle edition, for the simple reason that the Kindle edition arrives within a minute or so and the p-Book requires 8 - 10 days before it arrives, and I risk having to pay an additional sales tax and import customs so the price may in the end be more anyway.

I'll buy something for under $3 unseen if instantly delivered. It might be a dud but then I save it for those nights I have insomnia. Between masturbation and a dull book, the dull book is likely to be more stimulating.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
up to $15 but if it's an author i like, have read before and i just have to get my hands on his/her newest book.
for me it's not the price that's annoying (which doesn't mean i go on book-shopping sprees. i plan ahead, save money etc...) but when, because of those darned restrictions, i can't buy the book i want

TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote