Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
jimjom
jimjom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Updating Kindle with Jailbreak

Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried the search but nothing came up that could help me.

I have a PW2 on 5.4.3.2

I have KUAL and Koreader installed, but reading through all the threads I can not make sense out of it. Can I update my Kindle without losing the jailbreak?

If so, how?
And up to which system version?

Thank you
jimjom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Yes *
2) As described on your device's Amazon update page
3) Your choice, all versions are availably on the Amazon download server **

(*) Only the jail break materials are auto-reinstalled, all other add-ins must be re-installed by the user.

(**) Some versions require that you use the KUAL booklet rather than the KUAL document.

PS: It is always a good idea with these devices that have been ignored for a long time to re-install the 'hotfix' package before doing the update.
That will ensure you have the most recent "bridge code".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
oguerreiro
oguerreiro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Yes *
2) As described on your device's Amazon update page
3) Your choice, all versions are availably on the Amazon download server **

(*) Only the jail break materials are auto-reinstalled, all other add-ins must be re-installed by the user.

(**) Some versions require that you use the KUAL booklet rather than the KUAL document.

PS: It is always a good idea with these devices that have been ignored for a long time to re-install the 'hotfix' package before doing the update.
That will ensure you have the most recent "bridge code".

Hi knc1,

Hope everything is fine.

Not sure if this thread is still alive, I have a PW3 running on 5.8.10 , I did a success jailbreak back in 2017 or so, and it has been working perfect, the kual and all other items. But I failed to update device firmware after 5.8.10 so is now outdated. Amazon has the device correctly registered in my page but says is "not available" for transferring books, so I assume it is due the outdated FW issue.

Following your recommendations above I already updated the jailbreak using the newest "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin", and the next step should be update the FW device.

Current FW available for downloading for the PW3 at the Amazon site is 5.12.3 which I suppose must be the same by wireless update. I've heard somewhere jailbreak should be able to survive any update to most recent FW, but read also that these 5.12.x firmwares are agressive and could wipe out the jailbreak, it sounds confusing to me.

So my specific question, should I update to newest FW ? or should I simply keep my kindle as it is with the outdated but still - partially - working FW. ?
oguerreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
The latest hotfix shall protect the jailbreak on 5.12.3. Just restart the device twice after update.

In the meantime, I'm on 5.8.7 and have no problems with transferring books.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
oguerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
The latest hotfix shall protect the jailbreak on 5.12.3. Just restart the device twice after update.

In the meantime, I'm on 5.8.7 and have no problems with transferring books.
Great, Many thanks for your advice.

So the problem must be anything else, not the FW. I'm living in Venezuela not US, I bought a book online from Amazon without problem but cant´t send it to the kindle althought is registered as my predetermined device.
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oguerreiro View Post
Great, Many thanks for your advice.

So the problem must be anything else, not the FW. I'm living in Venezuela not US, I bought a book online from Amazon without problem but cant´t send it to the kindle although is registered as my predetermined device.
Which Amazon? That might be making a difference.
IIRC, I do not think that customer information (such as your Amazon send-to account) are shared among the International sites.

So give us a few more hints ...
Is this the first time you have tried "send to Kindle" from your current location?
Anything else different about this occasion?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
oguerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which Amazon? That might be making a difference.
IIRC, I do not think that customer information (such as your Amazon send-to account) are shared among the International sites.

So give us a few more hints ...
Is this the first time you have tried "send to Kindle" from your current location?
Anything else different about this occasion?
Thanks knc1,

No, it the same location, actually at home on Wi Fi, the device connection is working ok, I've just sent a book from my pc through my own email address, the same one registered in amazon configurations and received fine into the device.

This is only happening with a book I've bought two days ago from Amazon, when tried to send it to the kindle, the page said I have not any device compatible for sending it to, so I installed Kindle for PC only to this purpose, now it shows in the Kindle for PC and the Amazon page as well, but it isn't in the device.

As for the updating thing, I've kept the plane mode most of the time, to avoid changing FW, so it is stuck at 5.8.10 but now when I turn on the wireless the updating option in the menu remains greyed. I though it should warn me on the new FW availability.

I used the device mostly for storage and transferring books from my PC by Caliber, as Venezuelan I haven't been a frequent buyer on Amazon books, due many restrictions, so I can't compare with previous boughts to say it so.

I do apologize for my poor english, and for bothering you with this, thanks again.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
oguerreiro

I forgot, the Amazon version I'm using I think is the US one, since it is marked like that - US flag - in the main account menu.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
This is only happening with a book I've bought two days ago from Amazon, when tried to send it to the kindle, the page said I have not any device compatible for sending it to, so I installed Kindle for PC only to this purpose, now it shows in the Kindle for PC and the Amazon page as well, but it isn't in the device.
Some books are not available for e-ink kindles.

On the page for the book at amazon.com there is a link to a list of compatible devices. check that link.

also, if your kindle is registered to your account and has wifi or cullular, you do not need to send amazon bought books by email. you can find it listed on your kindle and download it directly on the kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
oguerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

On the page for the book at amazon.com there is a link to a list of compatible devices. check that link.

Brilliant, thanks, I´ll check that.

also, if your kindle is registered to your account and has wifi or cullular, you do not need to send amazon bought books by email. you can find it listed on your kindle and download it directly on the kindle.
That´s the issue, the book is in my amazon device page, I sent it to my Kindle for PC, but it is not listed as available to be downloaded into my kindle device, do not know why.

Last edited by oguerreiro; 04-25-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Improve it
Old 04-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
[QUOTE=oguerreiro;3980532

Current FW available for downloading for the PW3 at the Amazon site is 5.12.3 which I suppose must be the same by wireless update. I've heard somewhere jailbreak should be able to survive any update to most recent FW, but read also that these 5.12.x firmwares are agressive and could wipe out the jailbreak, it sounds confusing to me.

So my specific question, should I update to newest FW ? or should I simply keep my kindle as it is with the outdated but still - partially - working FW. ?[/QUOTE]

I recommend installing a firmware at 5.10.x. You can still block updates with it and still get the native font flexibility.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
oguerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
I recommend installing a firmware at 5.10.x. You can still block updates with it and still get the native font flexibility.
Many thanks Sol.

The Amazon page "Kindle E-Reader Software Updates" has only the 5.12.3 available for downloading, where could I find the 5.10.x for update ?
Old 04-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Many thanks Sol.

The Amazon page "Kindle E-Reader Software Updates" has only the 5.12.3 available for downloading, where could I find the 5.10.x for update ?
Just start with the link for 5.12.3 and change the ending to the version you want to download. All versions remain online for download even if they are not listed.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #14
oguerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

J.P.S. I checked and you're positively right. There is a list for that particular book - placed below the Language line, only fire tablets and free readers apps listed, no paperwhites at all, so It must be that the reason.

I've noted other books have not lists at all, so I suppose that my kindle would be "compatible" again with these. ?
Old 04-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
oguerreiro

By the way, I cannot understand what's the point of that, I mean why restrict the availability only to fire tablets and readers. I though that authors would be interested in getting the widest audience and buyers as possible.