Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Storm 608
Storm 608 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone SE
Need e-reader help

I have been using Stanza reader for years on my iOS devices up to iOS 9.3.5 but since I upgraded to iOS 11.3 on a new device, I can't install Stanza.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new e-reader that will work with calibre?
Storm 608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Which one should I buy?" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Stanza is an app for ebooks, not an ereader device. Right?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the popular reading devices work well with Calibre. It would be helpful to know more about your preferences in terms of screen size, storage. etc.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Storm 608

Re: Need e-reader help

I should have been more clear and I apologize. Stanza was an app for iOS devices that was purchased by Amazon and then discarded because it worked so much better than their own Kindle app. It would connect to calibre perfectly and worked very well.

I now need a new app that will organize my library and that will work with calibre.

If anyone has any recommendation - other than switching to Android which ain't gonna happen, I would be very grateful!
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In that case, moved to the Apple forum. When you say that you want to buy an "e-reader", people will assume that you mean a dedicated reading device!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Integration between Calibre and iOS can best be described as problematic these days. My personal recommendation would be to use Calibre Companion (which has its own forum here on MR) for library management, and whatever you fancy as a reading app to actually read books. I like MapleRead as a reading app, personally.

I'm curious at your mention of iOS 11.3. Is this a beta release? The current version of iOS is 11.2.5, to the best of my knowledge!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Calibre Companion with MapleRead are my go to as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
11.3 is in beta.

I use CC and Marvin myself. You can simply use Marvin for both library management and reading, it will connect with Calibre via the OPDS/calibre server, but I like how CC syncs with Calibre.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
Storm 608

My bad... it's 11.2.5. I just upgraded from 9.3.5 and a lot of apps stopped working including the Stanza app.

I'll check out Calibre Companion and MapleRead as well as Marvin.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do let us know what you decide on!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 608 View Post
My bad... it's 11.2.5. I just upgraded from 9.3.5 and a lot of apps stopped working including the Stanza app.

I'll check out Calibre Companion and MapleRead as well as Marvin.

Thanks everyone.
There are apps which can access Calibre. Marvin does, and Hyphen does. You don't *need* Calibre Companion though its nice to have. (I dont use it, myself). If you are anything like me, you will be disappointed that there are no apps which manage books as well as Stanza did.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I'd rather have a better reading experience. Stanza gave a lousy reading experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I'd rather have a better reading experience. Stanza gave a lousy reading experience.
That is a purely subjective opinion. As is mine that it was just fine...for its time.

One other thing I miss about Stanza is its ability to just find your calibre catalog. Although Hyphen and Marvin can see it, I find I have to tell them where to find it (I really need to set a static IP for it) whereas Stanza just knew. As does the current version of Megareader. Which still doesnt manage to present a decent reading experience.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-19-2018 at 02:36 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
Storm 608

I tried CC and MapleRead and like them both. The only problem is not being able to bulk transfer books from CC to MapleRead.

Until the advent of Calibre 3.x, Stanza found Calibre immediately and would directly connect and then transfer books in bulk very quickly. As for the reading experience, it was second to none, then Amazon bought it and killed it.

It continued working until the advent of iOS 10.x when it crashed.

MapleRead works very well on the iPhone and iOS 11.2.5 and it's performance is nearly as good as Stanza but is less than satisfactory on the iPad running iOS 9.3.5.. I'll try Marvin and Hyphen as well, but MapleRead is working in the interim.