Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not as yet.
Is it a feature that may be coming? (I'm guessing not for the Kobo Touch.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yeah, that's the other issue with the Kobo. The T2 (and T3) can download books directly from the library. (At least mine can. Apparently there are some T2s in some places that can no longer do this.)
The Aura ONE can. Since Rakuten owns both Overdrive and Kobo, I don't know why they haven't introduced this to all their devices. Seems like obvious synergy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It could happen. If they introduce that feature as part of a firmware update and if the Touch gets the firmware update. Kobo has been very good about supporting older devices.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Aura ONE can. Since Rakuten owns both Overdrive and Kobo, I don't know why they haven't introduced this to all their devices. Seems like obvious synergy.
I agree. It would seem to make sense, especially since the Sony Readers Kobo "inherited" could do it.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #35
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I would have said (and did say ) that it was likely to be rolled out to the other devices at some point after release of the KA1. At this point I've become doubtful that it's going to be. There doesn't seem to be any technical reason that it couldn't be turned on in the firmware for other devices but they haven't yet and since the devices basically run the same firmware there shouldn't be a lot of extra development costs. That leads me to believe that there is some economic reason (i.e. license fees) or a marketing reason they haven't done this. I doubt it's to drive buyers to the KA1 as my guess is it sells more based on the other features than that. I'd have to think they'd gain more net device sales from a smaller device with OD integration than keeping it to KA1 alone.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I suspect that for Kobo's eInk devices, it would be a matter of allowing the existing code to run since the basic firmware is common. The mark 6 devices (the Glo HD, Touch 2.0, Aura Edition 2, Aura H2O Edition 2 (aka the Peroxide), Aura One and Aura One Limited Edition) all use the same firmware installer so no argument the needed code is not present.

OTOH, for Kobo, having Overdrive integration as a distinguishing feature for the Aura Ones may outweigh the possible benefit from allowing other Kobo devices to directly access Overdrive. You'd have to consult a marketing expert to read the chicken entrails on that one.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, that's the other issue with the Kobo. The T2 (and T3) can download books directly from the library. (At least mine can. Apparently there are some T2s in some places that can no longer do this.)
From what I've seen, it appears that some libraries have updated to newer Adobe Content Server code (5.0 or higher) and set the mandatory hardened DRM flag. The version in the Sony firmware would no longer be supported since RMSDK 10 or higher is needed. Similar to one co-worker who used an older version of ADE with WINE until the library no longer allowed him to borrow books using it. He given up on a pure Linux setup and runsa Windows VM for ADE and a few other programs instead of sweating WINE setups.

Also note that, unlike the Sony ereaders, the Aura One does not directly download from the library. The library book is borrowed from the library but fulfilled by the Kobo store. Hence the occasional issue where a library book is not available for direct download since it is either not in the Kobo store or the versions (check the ISBNs) do not match.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I agree. It would seem to make sense, especially since the Sony Readers Kobo "inherited" could do it.
Strictly speaking, Kobo did not "inherit" the Sony ereaders. What they inherited was the customer base. Even the ebooks in Sony's library were not inherited since I saw several complaints from people that not all the ebooks in their Sony library transferred over to their Kobo library.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
OTOH, for Kobo, having Overdrive integration as a distinguishing feature for the Aura Ones may outweigh the possible benefit from allowing other Kobo devices to directly access Overdrive. You'd have to consult a marketing expert to read the chicken entrails on that one.
The Aura One ought to be able to compete on screen size alone. If Kobo believes the One is selling only because of the Overdrive integration, it would seem like the One isn't justifying its existence.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Strictly speaking, Kobo did not "inherit" the Sony ereaders. What they inherited was the customer base. Even the ebooks in Sony's library were not inherited since I saw several complaints from people that not all the ebooks in their Sony library transferred over to their Kobo library.
Sony released new software which changed the store from Sonys to Kobos in the T1-T3 – so, in a certain sense, Kobo did inherit these devices as they agreed to support them on their store.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The Aura One ought to be able to compete on screen size alone. If Kobo believes the One is selling only because of the Overdrive integration, it would seem like the One isn't justifying its existence.
I think Kobo are selling the Aura ONE as a premium device. And if that's the case, then the size isn't enough to justify the label. OD integration is probably part of that justification.

I don't think that is a good idea and Kobo should be adding it to the other devices. I could understand if they didn't add it to older devices. Not adding it to the Touch and Mini, OK. Not on the Glo, Aura HD and Aura, I can also understand. And even the other devices that are no longer available.

But, not putting it on the Aura H2O Edition 2 is stupid.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #42
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If the OP is in a major city, I recommend he/she looks on kijiji for used t2/3. I picked up three for $50 CDN each a while back. If he/she wants new stuff, it will have to be a Kobo, but they have no buttons and the touch-screen navigation will take a bit of getting used to.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think Kobo are selling the Aura ONE as a premium device. And if that's the case, then the size isn't enough to justify the label. OD integration is probably part of that justification.

I don't think that is a good idea and Kobo should be adding it to the other devices. I could understand if they didn't add it to older devices. Not adding it to the Touch and Mini, OK. Not on the Glo, Aura HD and Aura, I can also understand. And even the other devices that are no longer available.

But, not putting it on the Aura H2O Edition 2 is stupid.
So we agree, even if you sounded like you disagree.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If the OP is in a major city, I recommend he/she looks on kijiji for used t2/3. I picked up three for $50 CDN each a while back. If he/she wants new stuff, it will have to be a Kobo, but they have no buttons and the touch-screen navigation will take a bit of getting used to.
Actually, its very easy to navigate with a touch screen. The T2 has a touch screen and not everything was done with buttons. So the OP's mother is familiar with the touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, its very easy to navigate with a touch screen. The T2 has a touch screen and not everything was done with buttons. So the OP's mother is familiar with the touch screen.
When I read with the T2 I hardly ever use the touch screen, unless I'm looking up a word or navigating the table of contents, or changing a font, etc. But, usually, once a specific book is set up, I don't do much but read and just use the two page turn buttons. I sometimes worry that I'm going to wear out those buttons.