Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Sounds like a licensing or inspection issue. Anything else called "Oasis" in Denmark? Has the Danish government approved it for sale?
It's not only Denmark. The Oasis 2 cannot be shipped to any country with no Amazon store of their own at the moment.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
Pamelala
Pamelala began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I can't buy an Oasis anywhere

I have bought it from Amazon.it. It is more expensive in Italy but they do ship it to the Netherlands (.de, .uk, .fr and .com didn't). So maybe you can also try Italy.

Last edited by Pamelala; 01-05-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Pamelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Licensing in different areas can make for amazingly complex software problems. I was a programmer for a mutual fund holding company till I retired and we sold shares in all 50 states and a LOT of different countries. Each fund had it's charter which gave lots of rules for what could be sold and what stock it could hold. Each state and each country and each state in some countries had similar rules.

We wrote all our software in-house and we were a leader in the industry in automation. But we didn't dare write the software that decided what stock we could buy or where we could sell shares. The company hired this out to another company that had expertise in this sort of thing and they did a good job for us. I was in charge of monitoring what they did and I was always happy I didn't have to write that mish-mosh.

The only other software we didn't write in house was word processors. This was in the days before the internet was a big thing and we had a mainframe with terminal emulators on PC's. I even wrote the terminal emulators. We were very self sufficient. But we left the licencing software to experts.

I suspect the complexity of what Amazon is facing with this is even greater than what we were dealing with. It's not surprising things go wrong sometimes.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #34
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
Calm down Oasis 2 cannot be shipped to Czech republic, so I bought it on amazon.de, then i filled adress of delivery in germany (some companies reshipp these product which cannot be shipped directly) and I fill billing adress which is my real adress. Now I use Oasis2 and no problem.. But i was upset when I noticed these restrictions.. :/

Last edited by Sonicboom; 01-05-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #35
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I was going to say Best Buy but I think they are only in US and canada?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I was going to say Best Buy but I think they are only in US and canada?
Haven't seen them in Europe, no. Most retailers in smaller European countries don't carry Kindles at all, or even if they do, only the cheaper models (Basic Kindle and Paperwhite).

Actually I remember the similar problem with the Voyage, when it first came out. It took almost a year before us small fishes were able to order it from Amazon. I've no doubt the Oasis will eventually be available everywhere too, but until then one must use a round-about way to get it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #37
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Haven't seen them in Europe, no. Most retailers in smaller European countries don't carry Kindles at all, or even if they do, only the cheaper models (Basic Kindle and Paperwhite).

Actually I remember the similar problem with the Voyage, when it first came out. It took almost a year before us small fishes were able to order it from Amazon. I've no doubt the Oasis will eventually be available everywhere too, but until then one must use a round-about way to get it.
I had to buy my Voyage using a reshipment company, SHOPUSA.
It does of course increase the price, actually quite a lot. But it seems to be an option now.

@Pamelala . It does seem to be possible to buy the Oasis in Italy, I might consider that. Thank you.

I still keep getting promotional mails from Amazon US,UK and DE where I am incited to buy "The all new Oasis"
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
My brother has given my SIL as a present (today is traditionally the main day for presents in Spain) the Oasis purchased at Amazon ES. I don't know where they will ship.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #39
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If you haven't bought it yet, wait until they release a second version with longer battery life.
The short battery life, non replaceable battery (you'd break the device if you would open it) is a headache for everyone using the device (and some aren't fond of the metal back; which is not an issue for me, because I use it with a plastic cover anyway)!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Your opinion and an exaggeration. Battery life is most certainly not a "headache" for everyone. I find it to be just fine. And I like the anodized back, too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #41
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Your opinion and an exaggeration. Battery life is most certainly not a "headache" for everyone. I find it to be just fine. And I like the anodized back, too.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #42
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Yep!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yep!
Thanks to all of you for providing reality checks. I think there is something erratic about it's battery usage and am not a fan of the metal back, but I do not see either as a major flaw.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #44
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just wait,
Sooner or later, you will also complain about battery life.

Just like why the Gameboy was more popular than the GameGear, despite the Gamegear besting it on every field, save for battery life.

I find the battery life is too little. Way too little for what you pay for.
But there are 2 issues about the battery that will be a headache, even for those who say they don't have a headache with it now.
And that's:

1- The decrease of battery life over time. It's estimated that the current battery's half life is about 2 years; meaning, in 2 years you'll more likely have less than half the battery capacity in the device as you have today.

2- If you do end up finding a replacement battery for the Oasis,chances are that the housing, the way it's all made, you won't be able to replace the battery by yourself, not even with the plastic prying tools found working on cellphones and tablets; and have to resort to an expensive ~$100 reconditioning fee?

I find the battery life is barely acceptable,
And I use the device on airplane mode, screen light off.
I can't imagine any person using the screen light getting more than a few hours of reading time out of it!

And the charging plug isn't placed in a convenient place to charge while reading.
It's either in the way for standing the device on a table, or even in the way of the hand (my hand is constantly touching the charging cable).

I find the anodized back not an issue, when using a sleeve, or screen cover (that has a plastic back); which basically reinforces the reason to have gone full plastic instead (if you're going to have a plastic cover on it anyway, the feeling of plastic is nicer, and it weighs less).

But the biggest issue with the anodized back, is, yes, it's stronger than plastic,
But it also doesn't allow you to pry the screen off from the device, should you in a year or two, feel the need to replace the battery...
Some user already tried, and failed big time!

So, yes, there are serious issues to all of this, that a lot of people are not yet seeing; much like when you buy a cheap cellphone; it might work for a while, but as soon as it's memory fills with photos and apps, it starts lagging and not operating the way it did in the beginning..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 AM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I can't imagine any person using the screen light getting more than a few hours of reading time out of it!
Your imagination is very poor. You also take your unique experience with your own Oasis2 and wrongly assume that everybody else's must be exactly the same.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote