Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Question [Command-line] Easy way to remove DRM on Linux?

Hello,

I'd like to use a command-line tool to remove DRMs on Linux (headless computer, so a GUI won't do.)

Is there no easier way than attempting to use Calibre?

https://linuxconfig.org/calibre-drm-...books-on-linux

Thank you.
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohreh View Post
Hello,

I'd like to use a command-line tool to remove DRMs on Linux (headless computer, so a GUI won't do.)

Thank you.
Best place to ask is where you got the 'tools'. MR rules prohibit specific help.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
The command line versions of the DRM removal tools have stopped being supported for some time.

The old command line tools won't work as you do need a GUI to get the keys. You need to install ADE (GUI) and/or KindleForPC (GUI). And even then for KindleForPC, I don't know what the last version the command line tools worked with. So basically unless you are properly configured, a GUI is needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which is another reason for an GUI Intake Library, where you import, massage and embed the metadata, then Copy To (main) Library.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Which is another reason for an GUI Intake Library, where you import, massage and embed the metadata, then Copy To (main) Library.
Why? I've never used an intake library. I do all my editing in the main library.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why? I've never used an intake library. I do all my editing in the main library.
I use an intake library so if I ever was to need the original, I'd have it.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have originals stored elsewhere, not in Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Color, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I have originals stored elsewhere, not in Calibre.
Ditto.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
You missed my intended point. The GUI (intake) is just used to prepare the book to be MOVED, thus eliminating all the gyrations a headless server causes.
Books do not remain in Intake longer than it takes to cleanup
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My Intake library is not where I save the originals. It is where I perform whatever fixup tasks are needed before the ebook is moved to the main library. The main reason for having the separate library is just to keep the fixup library small and easy to manage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:32 AM   #11
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
What's Intake, and how is it related to Epub files and DRM?
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:04 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Intake library is the library you use to load your eBooks into Calibre and then from there they get copied to another library. I have an Intake library that I use to load all of my eBooks and from there they go to another library for cleaning up and loading on a Reader.

Once the OPs question has been answered, threads tend to drift. The OPs question has been answered and we now have thread drift

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-10-2022 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
One advantage of an 'Intake' Library (A real Library, not a VL), is the excess Tags never get added to the main DB (deleted tags or other values only get hidden, and not removed. That is what the 'Vacuuming' phase of Library Maintenance does).

The name is not important. It is simply the Library you use when receiving books. (I worked at my High School Library. That was when we stamped the name, added the pocket for the due card and inserted the cards into the 'card catalog' . Same theory in the electronic age)