Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
igor101
igor101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch won't upload any new epub files

Hi,

I am wondering did anyone else came across this issue with their Kobo Touch after the latest upgrade to 4.4.9344 (from 16th May). The problem is that Kobo Touch won't show any new books uploaded to it. It tried with the latest Calibre 2.85.1, I tried also with 2.84.0 (Linux, 64, latest Ubuntu). I uploaded epub files manually to the device's memory. Everytime after unmounting a progress bar saying "importing content..." shows up on Kobo, it goes to 65% or 70% and finishes with no error messages. However, there are no trace of new books on the device.

The epub files are copied to Kobo by Calibre, it creates a folder with author name and epub files inside just fine. I tried with couple of different epub files and the same behaviour.

Before I try to factory reset the device (corrupted database possibly) I'd like to check has anyone else came across this.

Thanks!
igor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't had any issues sideloading epubs to any of the recent Kobo firmware or with any recent calibre version or combination.

A corrupt database could be a reason. Calibre can show an error when the device was connected if the database is corrupted, but that will depend on the tables that are corrupt. My Kobo Utilities has a database check function that does a thorough check. If it returns OK, then the database is OK.

If it is corrupt, you don't need to do a factory reset. Sign out of the Kobo account first. The database will be recreated when you sign in again and the sideloaded books reloaded. If that doesn't work, then you can go to the factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
igor101

Thanks! I signed out of my Kobo account and signed back in. The sideloaded books were deleted but when uploaded again via Calibre it worked. So it must be a corrupted database during the upgrade. A first, never had a glitch with it before. Thanks again for the tip!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor101 View Post
So it must be a corrupted database during the upgrade
It is unlikely that the database corruption was caused by the firmware upgrade. It is far more likely that it was a bad eject from the PC at some time in the past. Because of the way the device works, if you don't restart it periodically, you can have a corrupt database without knowing about it. That means that it is possible the first time the corrupt database was read was during the restart after the firmware upgrade.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
igor101

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because of the way the device works, if you don't restart it periodically, you can have a corrupt database without knowing about it. That means that it is possible the first time the corrupt database was read was during the restart after the firmware upgrade.
This is more likely, I tend to keep it on without restart for really long periods of time. I never spent any time discovering the device. I suspect it runs some small Linux distro, will have a look.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor101 View Post
This is more likely, I tend to keep it on without restart for really long periods of time. I never spent any time discovering the device.
I never turn my devices off. They sleep and I wake them. I occasionally restart them because something seems to not be working, or I am experimenting. Plus when a firmware update comes out.
Quote:
I suspect it runs some small Linux distro, will have a look.
Yes, it is running Linux.