Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thinking about a new Kobo

I'm thinking it might finally be time to retire my well used Aura HD (purchased mid-late April 2013) from everyday service. It's been pretty great once I got used to Kobo differences when coming from Kindle and has seen over 1K books read on it (if all goes well the new device will see similar service). Still works okay (power slider is a little flakey), but would like a Carta screen among other things. Even though I'm here a lot and know quite a bit about devices in general I figure it's never a bad idea to have insight from others who have hands on with the actual devices (I know H2O-2 experience is very limited yet).

Looking at three devices...
  • Aura H2O
  • Aura H2O-2
  • Aura One

Considering the original H2O because of the card slot, but not married to having one. Kind of like the idea of the 7.8" screen on the One, but I've fallen behind on what bugs/issues the device may have. I believe it was having lighting & battery issues?

Some questions that come to mind (that I'm currently researching)...

Not a big user of lighting (probably used it 3-4 hours in 4 years). Do any of the devices have a separate on/off for that like the Aura HD?

Are the devices with capacitive touch (H2O-2, One) having spotting/blotching issues like the capacitive Kindles have had? Also can anyone verify if the H2O-2 is capacitive or IR? (reviews differ)

How much of the 8GB internal memory on the -2 and One is available for actual storage use?

Early reviewers have the -2 as not having a rubberized back like the One, has that turned out to be the case for in hand devices people are starting to get? (not sure if the reviewers got production units or not).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I can only comment on the Aura HD vs. the Aura H2O v.1. I decided to get the H2O, with the intention of keeping the HD. But once I had both in hand, the screen of the H2O was just SO remarkably better, that I immediately sold the HD. The screen on mine, IMO, is perfect, the lighting very even, and the text was just so much sharper. I was sad I hadn't gotten the newer product a long time ago.

The case is really nice, too, if you are able to get it for free when you purchase from Kobo.com.

No it does not have a separate light button. I do like that it has a button instead of a slider.

I've been using the SD card in this, despite not using one in the HD. It is nice to have the option.

Hope this helps!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The light on my H2O is even as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Absolutely love my H2O. As I don't need the card slot, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a H2O Edition2 should something untoward happen.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the original H2O and I've never used the card slot. So I could easily grab the H2O2 and not miss the card slot at all.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use the card slot on my HD all of the time as things stand right now. I like to have all of my books on device.

At this point I've also added an iPad Mini into what I'm considering and just keeping the HD around for the few times I need something for full sunlight.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you want a new Kobo and the slot, get the original H2O while it's still available.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
A rather scathing review of the new H2Ov2 here.

Makes me glad I got the original.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
A rather scathing review of the new H2Ov2 here.

Makes me glad I got the original.
Some of that review is just ridiculous. I cannot say all of it is silly, but some is.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm more interested in comparisons between the original H2O and the new H2O. First impressions (that's not a review) stating that the device that's $110 more expensive looks a bit better aren't all that useful to me. How about reviewing real issues that have affected some other devices, like evenness of colour illumination? Battery life? Instead of just subjective impression of weight and plastic-feel? It sounds like this person hasn't actually tried to read anything yet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote