Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you now feel about your Sony Reader?
Love it even more than when I bought it! 48 44.86%
Just as great as the day I got it! 33 30.84%
Like it and I use it a lot! 17 15.89%
It's nice, but I don't use it much anymore 5 4.67%
Stupid device. I wish I'd never bought it. 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #61
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Putting my commercial hat on for a moment, it's clearly not in Sony's interests to support anyone else's DRM, given that they want people to buy books from the Connect Store....
Sony's PlayStation is itself a form of DRM in that to sell a game for it the company must pay Sony a fee for the rights to use their interface tools and the PlayStation logo on their packaging and advertisements. In the same line of thought, Sony could authorize others to sell BBeB books that would work under the CONNECT DRM with Sony receiving a fee for each or a percentage of the sales price.

Thanks to the good people at MobileRead I knew before I bought the Sony Reader that the PDF support for letter/A4 files was a joke and I bought one anyway. The assistance of the members here have made the format conversion learning process painless. It will only get better.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #62
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
The first month, I used my Reader extensively. Since about late Jan I've gone back to reading mostly on my Garmin iQue (Palm device). I'm sure I'll use the Reader as well in the future.

My reasons:

1) I've been traveling and the Garmin (think Palm T5 if you're not familiar with the Garmin) and its easier to slip into a pocket when you are just walking around.

2) I've been in some low light situations and the Garmin has a backlit screen. I have not been happy with any of the clip on lights I've tried with the Reader -- they work, but they add enough inconvenience to make me use the Garmin in these situations. If a "light wedge" was available that would remove this complaint!

3) Content -- eReader.com occasionally has "bundles" where they will package 5-10 books in a series with a good price. I've bought a couple of these recently so that forces me to use the Garmin.

4) Store -- I *hate* the Sony Connect store. I find it difficult to use unless you know exactly what you are looking for. I haven't done a scientific analysis, but I have the impression the prices are higher there than others (e.g. eReader.com) -- but I could be wrong on this.

I am not unhappy I bought the Reader and it will use it in the future. Lack of a good light solution is probably the biggest reason I've not used it so much recently.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; 02-21-2007 at 11:20 AM.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #63
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
[QUOTE=HarryT]My last reader was a Bookeen "CyBook". That didn't have any proprietory format - instead it came with a number of book reading programs on it and you just used the one you wanted. It supported virtually everything except Microsoft Reader "Lit" files.

Don't you find the T5's screen to be rather on the small side?

Well, the T5 has a high res screen- readable. Much more so than the cheap Palms, on which reading is difficult.

Come to think of it, the HieBook had an open format. I still have one, but never used it much because the screen was crappy. And it looks like the company went out of business before the HieBook Mk. 2 was designed.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #64
Puffball
Puffball doesn't litterPuffball doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
But now that I have my leather cover....

Is that the one that was mentioned here?

If so, how do you like it? I was thinking about one but it looked a little bulky....
I have the brown leather cover. It's very nice, not bulky at all, but I'm afraid of getting it marked. I keep it away from wet hands and food! Though I did get some marmalade on it and was able to wipe it off with a damp sponge, so maybe I'm being paranoid.

I'd say that the supplied, wipe-clean cover is more practical. Also I'm not too happy about the connector on the back of the unit -- it's so strong that you don't want to be fitting and unfitting cases any more than you have to.

I'd also agree with the other commenters here about the page-turn buttons. A rocker switch on each vertical edge, somewhere about 2/3 the way up, would have suited me better.
Puffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #65
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I keep getting an urge to sew a bookcover for the original cover. Remember the book covers we would make in school with brown paper bags? Well something could be sewn and made to slip over the existing. I just hate sewing so much. But the thought is stuck in my head if I could find a nice material with substance as in something quilted. Could have a designer look <G>
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #66
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I say go for it, Karen.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #67
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just may if when I am in a store I see a fabric that I think would work. It sure wouldn't take much time to sew that is for sure...

we shall see.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #68
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
With a machine, no it wouldn't, but if I tried it, it'd have to be by hand, and I'm not very good at hand stitching for much beyond buttons, so for me, it'd take a month of Sundays, and be really ugly to boot.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #69
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

You know you can buy this stuff that you iron on and it's like stitching, ha ha, put it in the seam, iron and there you go <BEG>

Now remember, if I made this it's not a cover for the reader but a cover for the cover LOL......
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #70
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am satisfied with the original cover, except one thing. If I want to travel with it, it doesn't protect screen as much as I would like it to do. No hard front cover. Maybe I am going to buy eMotion Executive Jacket for Sony Reader for traveling. I heard it has a plastic insert in the front cover.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The standard leather case has a pretty tough insert inside the front and back covers. I'd imagine that would be reasonably effective in protecting the Reader from knocks - more so than the vinyl cover, certainly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #72
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The standard leather case has a pretty tough insert inside the front and back covers. I'd imagine that would be reasonably effective in protecting the Reader from knocks - more so than the vinyl cover, certainly.
Yes, but I was told that they are of a very bad quality. Made in Chine. I was told it cannot be compared to the original soft cover supplied with the reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I just may if when I am in a store I see a fabric that I think would work. It sure wouldn't take much time to sew that is for sure...

we shall see.
If you made one, Karen, there wouldn't be any possibility that it might be RED, would there?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Yes, but I was told that they are of a very bad quality. Made in Chine. I was told it cannot be compared to the original soft cover supplied with the reader.
Mine seems to be of excellent quality. They are made by Targus, who are a highly reputable case manufacturer. I find it to be enormously better than the supplied vinyl cover.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
You know you can buy this stuff that you iron on and it's like stitching, ha ha, put it in the seam, iron and there you go <BEG>

Now remember, if I made this it's not a cover for the reader but a cover for the cover LOL......
Would ironing onto vinyl be a good idea? It would melt, wouldn't it?