Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
No, but processor speed do
But not the memory size, if it is true that we have 200 MHz with both 16 and 32 Mb. So at least in this we cannot differentiate them, as far as I know.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's easy to differentiate from the serial number. If your Gen3 has a serial number beginning "EB600..." then it's the newer model. If not, it's the older model.
Isn't the EB600 only the Gold Edition ?
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #18
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
But not the memory size, if it is true that we have 200 MHz with both 16 and 32 Mb. So at least in this we cannot differentiate them, as far as I know.
All 200Mhz have 16MB (not 16Mb not 32 Mb)

Quote:
Nope. I will check the start of serial of the gold one, but EB600 is 400Mhz Cybook without Epson.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No; all the 400MHz versions of the Gen3 are EB600-based; they started shipping some time around the start of December 2008.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
brudigia
Evangelist

My mistake, I've dug up some old info from EowynCarter about the variuos models and it is clear that I confused the models, I thought there was also a 32 Mb ROM Gen3; wrong assumption, my Gen3 is basically v2, with 512 Mb RAM but only 16 Mb ROM.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15&postcount=3

Quote:
No; all the 400MHz versions of the Gen3 are EB600-based; they started shipping some time around the start of December 2008.
A pity for me, but that's life.
It still serves me well, though.

I will not buy the Gold Edition, now, first I want to see the iPAD. And my Cybook is alright. A pity for the new features.
And no, I do not want to start another discussion on iPAD, it is off topic.
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have the same model of Gen3 that I do .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
How can I tell if is Gold Edition?

Is there any way to tell if the EB600 is the Gold Edition with the Epson controller? The reseller here in Greece describes the device as EB600 with 1GB memory (+512 internal memory), 174 or 180gr 800x600 pixels, and the Adobe DE support. Not much other information. The box comes with the basics + a USB adapter(EU), no protective case though.

The price has dropped since yesterday and is now listed as 219 euros (incl VAT) with a 2-year warranty. This seems a very good price - maybe too good to be the Gold edition? - as I want a basic 6" eink device to try out.

I'll probably get it whether or not. The page turn speed seems reasonable in any case - and I won't really know until I try it over time.

But if anyone knows how to tell if it has the Epson controller, please let me know - the resellers box just says "EB600" on it. Would 8 vs 4 levels of greyscale be the telling factor?

Thank you for any assistance!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

The Gen3 Gold Edition have 1GB of user disk and is preloaded with the ePub firmware.
The "standard" Gen3 have only 512MB of user disk and with Mobipocket firmware.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Godzil. The version does seem to have 1 GB of user disk and is preloaded with the Adobe+epub (2.0) firmware - so perhaps it is the newer edition. No matter, if the listed price is correct, I think I'll buy it - as it is the EB600 it should have the 400 MHz processor. I've wanted to try out a basic eink reader for awhile now.

I have a 5" (jetBook), 7" (Eee PC) and 9" (Classmate 3 tablet) - so adding a 6" device fills in the line a bit and adds an eink screen to the mix :-)

Last edited by rgeorg; 05-12-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #25
Godzil

And you should now find a device with a 8" screen if you want to complete your collection
Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
rgeorg
Guru

I'd like that very much! But I have to wait until the prices get affordable!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #27
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
It's easy to differentiate from the serial number. If your Gen3 has a serial number beginning "EB600..." then it's the newer model. If not, it's the older model.
Oh but what's so different between a v1 gen3 and a v3 gen3 that makes the former 'incompatible' ?
The speed of the processor ? I think not.
No, this isn't about legacy hardware lacking features, nor is it about wanting to offer customers the best user experience ...
It is nothing more than a good example of how proprietary software (we can't change the software and we can't read the source code) is being used to draw the 'old' customers (v1 gen3) back to the Shops to replace his hardware. Hardware that is in essence feature-rich and capable enough yet incapable of getting the firmware to enable those features and capabilities. Business as ussual, I guess. But "a good thing" ? "Yes!". Just not necessaryly for the customer though.

Last edited by kleykenb; 05-25-2010 at 07:42 AM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
No, this isn't about legacy hardware lacking features
Isn't it ? You work at netronix to know the difference between EB100 and EB600 ?

Quote:
Well, that one difference. 200Mhz have trouble dealing with some of the larger ePubs for one.
That could be a question of how the "power off" button signal everyone, of sleep mode on some component.
Bookeen taking such a long time to adapt firmware for the gen3 is probably a sign of how differents the two models are.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-25-2010 at 10:36 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #29
Godzil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Oh but what's so different between a v1 gen3 and a v3 gen3 that makes the former 'incompatible' ?
No, this isn't about legacy hardware lacking features, nor is it about wanting to offer customers the best user experience ...
It is nothing more than a good example of how proprietary software (we can't change the software and we can't read the source code) is being used to draw the 'old' customers (v1 gen3) back to the Shops to replace his hardware. Hardware that is in essence feature-rich and capable enough yet incapable of getting the firmware to enable those features and capabilities. Business as ussual, I guess. But "a good thing" ? "Yes!". Just not necessaryly for the customer though.
EB100 is:
- Samsung S3C2410 @ 200Mhz
- 16MB of SDRAM
- 4MB or NOR Flash
- 64 or 512 MB of "SD Card" (nor actually real Nand flash, it's plugged on the s3c2410 USB through a realtek controller)
- Apollo Display Controller
- Linux 2.4.18

EB600 is:
- Samsung S3C2440 @ 400MHz
- 32 or 64MB of SDRAM (Twice of Fourth the size of the EB100)
- 512 or 1GB of Nand Flash (the 2440 can direct boot from Flash)
- PVI6001A Display Controller (new name and brand of the Apollo Chip)
or
- Epson S1D13521 Display Controller (known too as Broadsheet)
- Linux 2.6.18

And both device are clearly not the same beast despite the form factor, or the fact that the application is visually the same. The firmware are completely different, and from what I saw when some try to get info from bookeen by calling lawyers to get the source code out, they don't have a firm control on the Bootloader/Linux Kernel on the EB100 where it seems they are more likely to do what they want on the EB600 (they have plenty of feature that Netronix or PocketBook lacks)

So sorry, but I don't thinks that Bookeen is some sort of company that prevent feature on older device just to be in accordance with some obscure marketing stragtegy..
Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Do we know if they plan to release a fix for the metadata bug for the older model (200 MHz 64 MB)? That's about the only thing I'd really love to have.
I have no idea of course, whether the firmware update will be 100% identical with the firmware on the new models.
But at least on my new Cybook Opus, the metadata bug is gone. It's like it was before the firmware update - and how I want it to be.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote