Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Smile Given up with Epub already

Well perhaps it should say given up reading epub on my Cybook.

The final straw seems to be these 2mb books that won't open in the Cybook (reboot issue), I did work around by converting to PDF but then last night a book I was halfway through refused to open and shut the reader down. As Geoff on here said the reason these books are so big is the embedded fonts - what's wrong with the ones on my reader I CHOOSE to use? I converted them to mobi and reflashed the firmware to 1.5 the offending books are now a more typical 500mb and read (and look fine!).

I was trying to like the epub thing, realising that most of my epubs were converted mobi so assumed short comings was down to that. But the one I bought and read seemed to offer me nothing except stupid page numbers and just didn't look right which ever font I try to use (embedded fonts again?).

So now I have all my original mobi books tidied up in calibre and the epub ones I bought again tidied in calibre and converted - (BTW if I pay loads for a book, why can't they even put a decent cover with it?). Dictionary lookup, bookmarks, the nice little progress bar and pages that look like they were designed to be read on a screen. This last thre reason I have always disliked PDF and dispair at the fact the people behind such a dumb format are taking over the world again.

Of course none of this would be possible without the amazing work of Kovid Goyal (suitably rewarded via a paypal dono), those wonderful bloggers and scripters that have given me the ability to liberate my books to use as I wish, and of course all you tireless forum folk who are forever available with helpful and useful advice.

Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I couldn't agree more. A post to my heart.
Still reading mobi. Converting all those new e-pubs back to a format designed for an e-reader.
Long live dictionary-lookup (god knows I need it ) ..
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I was reading your post and you are describing my feelings (but I haven't even tried ePub ), covers included
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote