Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Unicode Enabled RTF

Hi,
I know not a lot of people here will make use of the application I’ve just made... My problem was with reading eBooks in Czech. Since this language uses code page win1250, Reader doesn’t display it properly. After updating fonts, I could read Unicode TXT files and LRF, but RTF was still cursed. Maybe I did not search right. BookDesigner with LRF output is powerfull, but the results are not very nice.

So I found the way to encode the problematic characters in RTF so that Reader can display them. Here is my simple converter...
www.roomarranger.com/reader/rtfunicode.zip
What it does:
  • Converts non-ANSI characters to Unicode
  • Changes left alignment to full alignment and indents the first paragraph line (bonus option)
  • Adds Author tag to RTF (bonus option)

You can use this application even only for those two bonuses, but please have in mind that the application is very, very simple and stupid. I haven’t tested it so much. If you encounter any problems with your RTF, just contact me and I will try to fix it. I’m also interested if it works with Cyrillic or not.

My process of preparing eBook is following: I start with PDB file, use ABC Amber Palm Converter (font Times New Roman, 16pt) to convert to RTF and finally use RTF Unicode Converter to change the text alignment to full (a.k.a. justify) and add author’s name.

I hope Sony will open up LRF specification soon...
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtfunicode.zip (451.8 KB, 1010 views)

Last edited by Honza; 02-23-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, WordPad knows how to save the text in Unicode. It's a bit strange, that you cannot directly command it to do just that.

Usually, you can just open the document in WordPad, then:
SelectAll->change font to, say, Times New Roman->set "Script" to Western->Save

The above procedure is usually sufficient for the WordPad to convert a Cyrillic document into Unicode, readable by Connect Software and the Reader. (Connect Software has a bug of not being able to show Bold and Italic non-Latin characters in RTF).

I tried using RTFUnicode on a file from the Aldebaran library, and it didn't seem to do much (said it converted 11 characters). However the RTF autogenerated from FB2 is not generally readable by Connect at all, the program crashes when it tries to open it. MS Word and WordPad are OK with it, though. So, it may be uncommon compressed format (its size is about 1/2 of the same text saved by Word or WordPad, and about 1/4 of the same text in Unicode).

RTFUnicode seemed to work just fine on a standard, generated by Word or WordPad non-unicode Cyrillic RTF file.

Last edited by porkupan; 11-20-2006 at 03:46 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
papiex
papiex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader prs-500
Great tool! Works perfectly for my files .I miss only one option : multiple file processing .Would it be trouble to add such feature? Thanks for your work,best regards!
papiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Honza

Papiex, thanks for finding my small aplication useful.
Multiple file processing? OK, it's there... I've implmeneted it into new version, you can download it using the original link (the version number is 1.10 now). I didn't know how to implement it easily, so there is a limitation for the output file names - it just appends "_uni.rtf" extension to all original filenames.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
papiex
papiex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader prs-500
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. The reason I ask for multiple files processing : I have a lot of single novel files, and converting each of them with single run of app isn't the most curious thing which can be made Actually, you r app inspired me to write my own. Apart from your features ,I'm gonna add some default rtf formating (I found that the best format for my eyes is : font 16p and gaps between lines : 18p , 0p marigins). With such app, I'll be able to transform plain ANSII text files( which is 90% of my ebook collection) to proper rtf files in just single run. I'll share ,when it's finished.
papiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
p13
p13 began at the beginning.

Hi, is anyone still working in this direction?
Honza? Papiex?
p13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Hi,
I know not a lot of people here will make use of the application ...
You might be surprised ;-)

Kacir
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Honza

Quote:
Originally Posted by p13
Hi, is anyone still working in this direction?
Honza? Papiex?
Hi p13,
I am not working on it anymore, but it's just because I don't need any new features Tell me what would you like to be there, and I can try to implement it...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
... After updating fonts, I could read Unicode TXT files and LRF, but RTF ...
Can you please post the steps needed to update the fonts?
Can you post the file with the fonts? For me it would be great to have font file I ca be 100% sure it will work.

Kacir
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Honza

How to update fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
Can you post the file with the fonts? For me it would be great to have font file I ca be 100% sure it will work.
I have this short list of commands you have to do:

1. Switch the e-book to recovery mode
$ ebook.py um recovery

Reader got reloaded and was ready to receive "updates"

2. Upload opt.fs:
$ ebook.py pwrite "Fsk" opt.fs

Because of it was done in DOS command line, it occurred that command cksum is needed.

3. Switch Reader into normal mode:
$ ebook.py um normal

Be patient...

So, now you just need to collect all files needed. It is eBook.py, opt.fs, cksum.exe. For eBook.py, you need to have python installed and set enableWriting = 1 in it. For cksum.exe, you possibly need libraries from cramfs_tools. You can find all this on this forum or Internet. I will try to collect some links and write them in the next post.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
Honza

New fonts ... continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
This is the thread you should read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&page=1&pp=15

eBook.py (from igorsk):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_hack
Image:Ebook_py_041.zip

cramfs-tools (from igorsk, maybe not needed):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8179

opt.fs (from porkupan)

cksum.exe (from porkupan)

I'm no expert on this, I just copied all of this into Reader folder in Program files and followed the steps in the previous post. I hope it will help you.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Please note that this procedure currently does not work with the updated firmware.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Is it possible to support Chinese encoding?
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by each View Post
Get a Librie?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by each View Post
I don't believe so. Although the Reader uses Unicode fonts, it can only use the first 256 characters in a font, and hence isn't usable for languages like Chinese which require "proper" Unicode support.

As Jon says, though, the older Librie has full Unicode support. Might be worth seeing if you can get hold of one of those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote