Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Tigris
Tigris began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to create a library without creating copies?

I have some e-books (mostly pdfs) and I'd like to make a library of them. I found out that Calibre makes copies of the originals and put them into different folders, instead of storing its original path. I don't quite understand why does it need to mess up the hierarchy I'm using, but I can tag files and all, so if it works, fine. But! I tried to find an option to remove the original when adding a book to the library, after the copy was made, but I couldn't find anything like that. I have like gigs of e-books needed to be sorted, and I don't want to waste the same amount of space on copies, just for the structure. Also, instead of the slow copying Calibre could alternatively move the files to their correct places.
I tried to solve this, but I couldn't, so I'd like to get some suggestions how I should do it the most practical way.
Thanks!
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Just dump the whole directory into Calibre and delete the original directory. You can then tag them at your leisure.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
I have some e-books (mostly pdfs) and I'd like to make a library of them. I found out that Calibre makes copies of the originals and put them into different folders, instead of storing its original path. I don't quite understand why does it need to mess up the hierarchy I'm using, but I can tag files and all, so if it works, fine.
It believe it is a quality control issue, keeping the data in its own area away where folks know not to mess with it unless it is through Calibre cuts down on the "my files went missing" questions.

It is nice to see someone come to grips with the limits of the software and move forward.

Quote:
But! I tried to find an option to remove the original when adding a book to the library, after the copy was made, but I couldn't find anything like that.
Maybe you should request this option as a feature.

Quote:
I have like gigs of e-books needed to be sorted, and I don't want to waste the same amount of space on copies, just for the structure.
One suggestion would be to copy all these files to DVDs so you will always have the source come hell or high water.

Quote:
Also, instead of the slow copying Calibre could alternatively move the files to their correct places.
I have only added a few books (30 or less) at most at any given time. You might want to investigate the dropdown menu next to the add books icon on the top left. Experiment with these options and see which work the best for you.

Good Luck

&
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
But! I tried to find an option to remove the original when adding a book to the library, after the copy was made, but I couldn't find anything like that.
This could be a useful feature for some people to save a little work. If you want it added then raise a ticket via the Calibre home site for this as a feature request.

Having said that, most people might prefer to have the original kept around until they have checked the copy in Calibre and done any tidying up of metadata, etc. Once this has been done a manual delete of the original can be done outside Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removing originals