Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
kurthackl
kurthackl began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Prs 505 frozen

I own my PRS 505 for 2 weeks and i was very happy since yesterday..

I connect the Reader via USB with my PC and transfered 1 Ebook.
After finishing the transfer i disconnect the PRS505.

This was a bad idea because on screen of the Reader Stand " do not diconnect".

The screen freeze in this picture ....

the only solution is in this case because no button works or react, to make a hard reset.

The "do not diconnect" screen disappear and the "Reader starting up" screen appear an freeze.

I try several times the hard reset .... and i can find out that the LED beginn to flash orange constantly then it beginns to flashing 12 times and then the LED was off....

I wait 40 Minutes.. the "Reader starting up" screen stands.
i made a Hard reset

Then i wait 2 Hours the "Reader starting up" screen stands.
i made a Hard reset

I went to bed on 23:55 and made a Hard reset,
at 04:00 the "Reader starting up" screen was already there
and then at 06:30 the book works normaly the MENU Screen was there.

How is this possible that a Start up need 6 Hours ??

However i am very happy now because i am from austria and there is no support for me.....

Last edited by kurthackl; 02-21-2008 at 02:00 PM.
kurthackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
You may experience the described symptom if your Reader is low on battery. Battery indicator is not correct at first and it seems to need several (or more) charging cycles to calibrate the indicator correctly.

Please try charging PRS 505 overnight and then do a reset and see what happens. If it does not work, you can try charging the machine using AC charger. You can get any Sony PSP compatible charger for that.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest going out and purchasing a PSP AC adapter. The type with the barrel plug (not a USB type) and charging via A/C give that your 505 is so low on power. And it will take less time for a full charge as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've noticed this lockup when I would just pull the USB cable when I wanted to disconnect from the computer, now I click on the USB icon on my task bar and choose to safely remove hardware, then pull the cable. Since I started doing this I've not had my 505 lock up
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
roland1919
roland1919 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
You may experience the described symptom if your Reader is low on battery. Battery indicator is not correct at first and it seems to need several (or more) charging cycles to calibrate the indicator correctly.

Please try charging PRS 505 overnight and then do a reset and see what happens. If it does not work, you can try charging the machine using AC charger. You can get any Sony PSP compatible charger for that.
Your a GOD Send, my book had been down two days. Uggg, I just realized I said, "My Book had been down two days", who would ever had thought. Anyway, Thanks a million.
roland1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
thunder312
thunder312 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi I have also a freeze.
It came while I loaded my reader with a USB wall loader.
At the Moment it shows the words "Reader" and "Starting up...".

But in my case the hard reset (reset-button) has no effect.
At the moment I try to load it via USB on my PC(this worked everytimes so far), so the light ist red.
But the reader isn't recognized by the PC.
If I use the reset button, the red light isn't changing in any way (orange or flashing) as described above.

Could this be the same problem as descibed above???
I fear my reader is completely screwed up.

Thanks for your help.

thunder312
thunder312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Red light is charging, so I'd suggest leaving it overnight & hopefully it'll just have been flat. USB-connected wall chargers won't work - for non-computer charging, you need to use the round (PSP-compatible) connector.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
thunder312
thunder312 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for your fast response.
You've been right. Obviously it was completely flat.
But one thing is remarkable.
I connected the reader to the wall loader, when 2 of 4 battery load indicators were left. And 2 hours later it was obviously flat.
So this USB wall loader obviously removes energy instead of loading the battery...
Don't ask me how this is technically possible.

thunder312
thunder312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
thunder312--I don't know why, but i've had the same experience. I've also had the experience of the battery in my 505 being discharged when connected to my computer--after I'd "ejected" it by clicking on the eject button in the Sony software, but not actually unplugging the reader. It was charging up until I clicked the "eject" button--the red light was on. After I clicked the "eject" button the red light went out. I didn't unplug it for a couple hours and when I did, the reader gave me a low battery warning.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
roland1919
roland1919 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Stop using the USB charger it is not strong enough and messes up the reader. I use my PSP charger and it works just fine. the EBOOK was not meant to be charged up via the USB. Hope this helps.
roland1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1919 View Post
Stop using the USB charger it is not strong enough and messes up the reader. I use my PSP charger and it works just fine. the EBOOK was not meant to be charged up via the USB. Hope this helps.
Actually, I'm afraid I have to say that it doesn't help at all...

There's no problem with USB charging the Sony Readers other than it's arguable that it has an overly strict adherence to the USB spec, such that it declines to take power from when it could do so, when the other end doesn't communicate.

There is no basis in saying that it "messes up the reader" and while a PSP charger had advantages, saying that they were "not meant to be charged up via the USB" is totally incorrect and scaremongering.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #12
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
i think he might mean a usb wall charger. i know a lot of people have had problems with them draining power instead of charging
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Just a note - most USB ports on the front od PCs don't follow spec or v1.1. They typically are borderline with their power specs so aren't reliable for charging USB devices (had issue with using my Zune witht the front ports). Also charge trough a USB hub doesn't work either. If you want to connect or charge your Sony with a PC, use a USB port that is in the rear. You will have better results.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I'm glad to find this thread. I left my 505 plugged into the computer a little too long I guess, and then I had this idea that maybe I could plug my reader into my ipod charger, since that, too, plugs in via a usb cable....well apparently that didn't work because I tried to turn it back on and I got the "reader starting up" screen. Now, I have it plugged back into the computer and hopefully everything will be ok once I get it charged. And tomorrow I will definitely buy a psp charger.

Just one question---even if the battery was completely dead, would the computer still recognize that I had plugged in the reader to the usb port? Thats what's scaring me.

Edit:
Nevermind this post. Once I had it plugged into the computer for a short while, the computer finally recognized that it was plugged in. I also managed to turn it on and see that all my books are still loaded. So, I'm good for now. I found out that the Gamestop store near me has a used psp charger that I need for $7.99. I plan to pick that up tomorrow.

Last edited by kelly1010; 07-11-2009 at 04:14 AM.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote