Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Thanks, 10 pages I never knew existed.
How did you set your location or edit your list of devices without using the control panel?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How did you set your location or edit your list of devices without using the control panel?
I do it so rarely.

Tries it.

I clicked on my own name (on a post by me) and then /view public profile/ then /about me/ and then edited using the edit (pencil) click.

One good thing about this board (and Windows !!!) is that there are always multiple ways of doing something.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks. I didn't know there was any way to reach the profile editor other than the CP .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Thanks, 10 pages I never knew existed.
Ignorance is bliss
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We knew there'd be some unhappiness and we're sorry, but this is part of a long-term cleanup from a high of 18 stickies!

The essential problem is that having too many stickies is akin to having no stickies at all. The bottom line is that if members are posting in a thread, it's going to remain quite high on the list in any case.
My comments are addressed generally - not directly to Issy .... (but, of course, include Issy )

First off, I want to applaud the existence of this thread . Too often in the past a change has been administered with no explanation or concomitant thread in the same sub forum for comment. Thank you to the mods who realised that communication is essential to the pleasant administration of a forum.

RE the Kobo Discounts thread, my reasons for it remaining stickied include:
  • it still has 'live' coupons for open use in the first post, and other coupons are somewhat consistently posted, 50% codes for example.
  • deals are still posted with regularity
  • the browse factor - that is - the Discounts thread can be easily located in the stickies. Members who are not subscribers to the thread may choose to look in to see what's happening, and can readily find the thread. I do that with other 'stickied' threads that I do not want to subscribe to, but from time to time I do drop in and browse the deals and general chit chat (and I'm surely not alone in that!)
  • members new to Kobo and/or new to the idea that there is a Kobo Discounts thread are easily able to find it amongst the 'stickies'.
Edit (again!)
As a by the way, I have no problems with the volume of 'stickied' threads, and wonder why the removal of two threads makes a difference?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-19-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added the ')' on the last line; added the last dot point
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #21
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
As long as the nonfiction sticky is there I am good.
Most other items of interest I can pick out by the thread title.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
As long as the nonfiction sticky is there I am good.
Most other items of interest I can pick out by the thread title.
Phogg, I feel the same way about the Kobo Discounts thread - if it's there I'm good .....

Well, except I quite liked all the stickied threads as they were.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The thread has been moved to the Feedback Forum, where members are welcome to continue to discuss the changes and make recommendations. All opinions are considered.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My tuppenceworth

If/when MR migrates to new forum manager software perhaps it will include a 'favourites' feature such as Invision has. Then the top of forum Stickies could be reduced to a few 'must read' threads.

I find mildly irritating that on some forums I have to scroll past the same screen fulls of 'obscure' stickies every time I visit the forum to get to the fresh threads. Yes, I know there are various buttons I can click, and MR wide options in New Posts. But I'm only active in a few forums so manual navigation works best for me, also I eschew the use of the mouse, especially on buttons the size of a flea's droppings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is why I use TapaTalk on my tablet and phone more than the actually site. It hides stickies so you can go straight to the regular threads. It's easily to toggle the stickies if needed. You just tap on stickies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #26
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I don't mind the Kobo Discounts: Coupon Codes + Discussion thread no longer having a sticky. But having 7 separate threads started today for individual countries plus one on the settlement money seems rather confusing when all of these deals could have gone in the Kobo Discounts: Coupon Codes + Discussion thread.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm sorry. Unfortunately there is no rule against it. I will say cross posting is allowed in the Deals Forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I don't mind the Kobo Discounts: Coupon Codes + Discussion thread no longer having a sticky. But having 7 separate threads started today for individual countries plus one on the settlement money seems rather confusing when all of these deals could have gone in the Kobo Discounts: Coupon Codes + Discussion thread.
Library addict all my posts in the Deals forum meet with the posting guidelines.

It was as a result of this thread that the great number of threads in the Deals forum were stickied: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=Lynx-lynx

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-24-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add 'in the Deals'
Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My tuppenceworth

If/when MR migrates to new forum manager software perhaps it will include a 'favourites' feature such as Invision has. Then the top of forum Stickies could be reduced to a few 'must read' threads.

I find mildly irritating that on some forums I have to scroll past the same screen fulls of 'obscure' stickies every time I visit the forum to get to the fresh threads. Yes, I know there are various buttons I can click, and MR wide options in New Posts. But I'm only active in a few forums so manual navigation works best for me, also I eschew the use of the mouse, especially on buttons the size of a flea's droppings.

BR
I set the forums I am/am not interested in seeing new threads for, in my account settings. So the New Posts link does what I want it to do (and it can be bookmarked and/or keyworded).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #30
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I set the forums I am/am not interested in seeing new threads for, in my account settings. So the New Posts link does what I want it to do (and it can be bookmarked and/or keyworded).
Yes I saw that option when I 'signed' up - couldn't work it out then, nor now Another VB board I use has an Exclude button there, but no mention of 'ctrl' key - doesn't matter, I am accustomed to it as it is.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote