Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
How often do you recharge?

Hi all,

I was wondering how often you folks are recharging your reader? I understand that the usage changes from one person to the other but do you recharge every day to keep it always on 4-bars? Or do you wait the battery to go down to 1?
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering how often you folks are recharging your reader? I understand that the usage changes from one person to the other but do you recharge every day to keep it always on 4-bars? Or do you wait the battery to go down to 1?
On my Sony I usually wait until it is down to one bar.. then charge it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
once per week
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I usually wait for the last bar before charging. I start thinking about charging it when it's down to the next to last bar, but I'm usually not in a position to charge it then (i.e. in a restaurant or curled up in bed).

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I generally manage the books on the Reader two or three times a week -- more when I'm creating and testing books and want to see how they look beyond the PC viewer in calibre or the Sony software. The USB charging keeps the Reader topped off. I doubt that it has gone under two bars other than playing around with it and seeing how many pages it would really turn on a charge.

For trips I use the iGo Juice to recharge. I cannot remember when I last used the supplied charger.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
yagiz
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Now, maybe I shouldn't, but I get worried about the battery life if I recharge regularly and partially.

However, I read Web pages, blogs, news etc. that I download from Internet so as soon as I connect the reader to my computer, it starts to recharge. Should I be worried about the battery life? I mean, have there been known problems with the reader batteries due to usage patterns?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I recharge about weekly (6-8 days).

I normally wait till I have one bar or even until the reader asks for juice. I use a PSP charger so I can read while I recharge.

If your usage pattern damages your battery life (I don't know for sure but I think new generation batts don't have these issues any more), you will notice them when you use your Reader in a different usage pattern. Shouldn't affect the way you currently use it.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The current batteries don't have the memory problems of the old batteries. Frequent charges are not a problem. We no longer have to drain the batteries before recharging.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I pretty much never deliberately charge. It gets charged while I am syncing content. Yesterday was the first time I needed to charge it because I had been editing the contents via my laptop at work rather than the desktop at home. I didn't realize that because it was plugged into a hub rather than directly into the computer, it wouldn't charge. So basically, it wound up getting drained completely. I hooked it up to the desktop when I got home and let it charge overnight and is now wonderful.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
yagiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The current batteries don't have the memory problems of the old batteries. Frequent charges are not a problem. We no longer have to drain the batteries before recharging.
Thanks for clarifying it!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It pops up a little dialog box saying "Battery low - shutting down" and then shuts down. So I plug it in and keep reading. EB-1150 lets you use the device while it is charging. I get 12-13 hrs per charge. I also got an extra power cord so that I'm able to charge either at home or work, after running out of batteries a couple of times when I didn't have a cord at work.

I'm in love with my cute little reader!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I charge it up whenever I am syncing content, and that's about it. This is about once a week though I am now working on some recipes to get more websites on the device. I rarely ever get lower than two bars when I happen to skip charging for a week.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I usually charge when I get to one bar because I was worried about battery memory but, based on what RWood says, I may just get in the habit of once a week.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
I have been loading books ike crazy these past few days since I got it. What I find myself doing is leaving the device connected. If I'm not going to read right away I will leave it connected.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I usually charge when I get to one bar because I was worried about battery memory but, based on what RWood says, I may just get in the habit of once a week.
For lithium batteries it's actually better to keep them topped off.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote