Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #121
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
If you are working on the Desktop mode and want to open a new desktop app, it is now more convoluted...
How is it more convoluted? Click the Windows button, click the icon of your program. Done.

If it's a program you don't launch often, and hence don't have its icon on your Metro screen, then: Windows button, right-click, select all apps, click the icon. Done.

Or even better: Windows button, type the first letter of the program name, click the icon. Done.

By my count, however you slice it, that's either the same number of steps or fewer than with Windows 7.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #122
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

I talked to one person at the airport who had an iPad and had all sorts of business and presentation apps on hers - I guess you have to use some sort of adapter to hook it up to a computer projector though, since iPads don't have usb ports.
AppleTV + Airplay for the above. All thats needed is an HDMI input for the aTV to plug into.

I do wordprocessing on my iPad, I bought a Logitech Ultrathin BT keyboard. I'm a touch typist and got used to it fairly quickly. the combo is much lighter than my Macbook Pro was (I sold that, and got a Mini instead) but its still a bit too heavy to be carting about. I'll be out and about on Monday and will take the iPad sans keyboard, because IMO the combo still needs a table, not a lap.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #123
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You've said no, then agreed with me?
Very trollish behavior.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #124
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
So you can buy a 500 dollar notebook but will not pay 5 dollars USD for a start button or download a free program that will give you a windows 7 start up?
Or I can keep using Win 7 until Win 9 comes out. It's not a new idea that every other version of Windows sucks rocks. It's not 100%, but it's close, like odd numbered Star Trek movies.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #125
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
You're a busy guy; in a previous thread it was 30+ years of retail experience.
Do you really believe that retailers don't use IT? Really? Seriously?
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #126
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
That's crazy talk, Harry.
More insults and namecalling.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #127
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
More insults and namecalling.
Actually, that was sarcasm. I'll type slowly so you can follow along. Harry said something I agree with. Instead of thanking him for agreeing with me, I sarcastically said what we both believe is crazy. Hang in there, taustin.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #128
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Or I can keep using Win 7 until Win 9 comes out. It's not a new idea that every other version of Windows sucks rocks. It's not 100%, but it's close, like odd numbered Star Trek movies.
No one is actually forcing you to use Windows 8, and I doubt that anyone is suggesting that you should use (or even like) Windows 8. There is however a bit of an issue over misinformation.

You may hate Windows 8, but that does not make it an inherently bad operating system. The thing is, a lot of the criticism of Windows 8 is based upon subjective matters. One person will agree with that criticism wholeheartedly, while the next will acknowledge it but view it as unimportant. A third person may deny the criticism because they actually like how it was designed. You may even have a given person agreeing with some criticisms and disagreeing with other criticisms.

So please accept that some people simply aren't going to agree with you because they simply don't share the same opinion as you.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #129
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Actually, that was sarcasm.
I find your claim less than credible.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #130
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
You may hate Windows 8, but that does not make it an inherently bad operating system.
It isn't that I hate it, so much as I found it - literally - unusual for my purposes. This isn't opinion, this is objective observation. Good, bad, who cares? That makes it a useless operating system. Given the effect it's had on PC sales since it was release, apparently, I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
So please accept that some people simply aren't going to agree with you because they simply don't share the same opinion as you.
You should do the same.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #131
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
do not do gaming and most of what I do is software development and watching the odd movie at 1080p,
Me too.
I will read or write on my big desktop, but movies I fire over to the BIG TV in front of my own special beat up cushy chair in the den. And unlike the Movie Theater, the munchies and cokes are free.

That chair's frame was retrieved from a street pile. Basically it is a wooden platform to put cushions on to form up any kind of recliner you want. My wife would move it or toss it if I let her. I am like a StoneWall on that subject.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #132
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I find your claim less than credible.
I don't know if my opinion means anything, but I read his post as being ironic, not contentious. Sort of like saying "Get out of here!" when you really understand something that's been said.

And I *am* able to see that the two of your are sniping at each other. I certainly am not picking up any playfulness from the interaction between you.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice

Stop this ridiculous sniping at once, or this thread will be closed.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #134
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Given the effect it's had on PC sales since it was release, apparently, I'm not alone.
There isn't any evidence to back that claim: correlations may suggest a causation, but they certainly do not prove that there is a causation. Frankly, I think that the thesis of Windows 8 hurting PC sales is absurd. How many people are going to say, "my computer's slow, but I'm not going to buy a faster computer with a faster operating system because the Start Screen is too confusing"? In the more extreme case, how many people are going to say, "my computer's broken, but I'm going to go without a computer because I don't like Windows 8?" I would suggest that very few people would fit into either category. There are far more likely hypotheses like tablets pillaging PC sales. Both of theories are opinions because neither one of us has proof to our claims. One of us may be right, both of us may be right, or both of us may be wrong.

Last edited by BWinmill; 04-14-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Read moderator notice. Toned down.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #135
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
For what it's worth, while I was having problems with my WinXP laptop, it was still working. However, I was hearing some of the advance issues with Win8 a couple of months before it was released, so I went out and bought a new laptop so I could have Win7.

So in a way, Win8 sold a new PC, although not in the way meant on this thread.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote