Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Of course, there's still the flat listing to sort through ....
Didn't I read that the 505 alows collections on the cards now? Or am I just hoping or even not getting your point.....
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Of course, there's still the flat listing to sort through ....
Didn't I read that the 505 alows collections on the cards now? Or am I just hoping or even not getting your point.....
Heh, you did read that, and I'm even the one who wrote that line -- I chalk it up to not enough sleep and too much going on.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
Hm... I guess I'll keep stick to the old one in a few years.
Sony just added a few, or I can say a little improvement, to the new 505.
I'll wait until Sony made the 'colour' version, or at least, a lot more improvements. However, it's just the matter of desain.
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #19
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Heheh, it's good to see it finally materialize! I too had some questions about the specs and lack of mention regarding Vizplex. They still haven't changed specs on the official page, so it still shows 4 grey levels.

As to it being thinner than the earlier model... the PRS-500 isn't 13.5mm w/o the case, it's actually ~8.5mm (I just measured mine). The measurements they show for the PRS-505 is w/o the case as well, so it's not much smaller than the original; i.e., ~.5mm thinner, so don't get your hopes up on a super-thin device.

Too bad about people who just bought the PRS-500, but it's a wonder in itself, so don't feel slighted. I'm more than happy with mine and my wife loves hers too.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Just bought me a prs 500

Damn it!!!! I just paid almost 300 for a prs 500 and then they come out with a new model that supports epubs. I like my reader I'm just tired of converting my pdf files 4000 diffrent times to make it barley readable on my device. I am using my reader so I can study some computer certs. I would be pretty handy if I could download my cert books from ebooks.com or diesel ebooks and import them to my reader.

I hope sony and adobe figure how to make the prs-500 support DE otherwise there will be a lot of angry people. I know six people where I work that want a reader after seeing mine but I told them to wait to see if Sony is going to support DE and how soon this will happen. The conversion process is a time consuming hassle. Thanks Sony!

ALL I want from my reader is to import from DE right into my reader either that or they need to beef up thier selection from the connect store.
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If having a PRS-505 means a lot to you, you could sell your PRS-500 on eBay for somewhere between $250 and $290.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #22
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiatt243 View Post
Damn it!!!! I just paid almost 300 for a prs 500 and then they come out with a new model that supports epubs.
It doesn't, yet, and we don't know when it will. If the epub update appears for 505 I'll see if it can be ported to 500
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Heheh, it's good to see it finally materialize! I too had some questions about the specs and lack of mention regarding Vizplex. They still haven't changed specs on the official page, so it still shows 4 grey levels.

As to it being thinner than the earlier model... the PRS-500 isn't 13.5mm w/o the case, it's actually ~8.5mm (I just measured mine). The measurements they show for the PRS-505 is w/o the case as well, so it's not much smaller than the original; i.e., ~.5mm thinner, so don't get your hopes up on a super-thin device.

Too bad about people who just bought the PRS-500, but it's a wonder in itself, so don't feel slighted. I'm more than happy with mine and my wife loves hers too.
Did you measure from the bottom of the back bulge? Did you include the two little legs?
That's important when you try to include it in storage confinement. The way to measure is to fit it between two flat surfaces and read that space.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #24
out2getu
out2getu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie
Scrolling...

Hello, I have a question about the new e-reader. Currently, I have a sony clie that has a scroll function. I just press a button and the next scrolls brom bottom to top. It is a very nice function when you are really tired and the spouse is trying to sleep. No moving around and pressing buttons or things like that.
So does this thing have this function? It looks like a great machine. I am currently out of the country and will it will take a while to get over to me.. I just don't want to order it and it not be what I want. So does anybody have know if it has it not? Thanks
out2getu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, Reader doesn't have anything like that. Scrolling would look like hell on an E-Ink screen anyway.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
If having a PRS-505 means a lot to you, you could sell your PRS-500 on eBay for somewhere between $250 and $290.
Not yet, you can't. Tiger Direct says they still have stock and they're going for $249.

But soon, I'm sure. Once the last stock runs out of the pipeline, used 500s will easily fetch $200-$250--especially if some of the 505's new features get back ported to it.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by out2getu View Post
Hello, I have a question about the new e-reader. Currently, I have a sony clie that has a scroll function. I just press a button and the next scrolls brom bottom to top. It is a very nice function when you are really tired and the spouse is trying to sleep. No moving around and pressing buttons or things like that.
So does this thing have this function? It looks like a great machine. I am currently out of the country and will it will take a while to get over to me.. I just don't want to order it and it not be what I want. So does anybody have know if it has it not? Thanks
Scrolling basically is an animation that requires a device with a refresh rate screen. Eink in its nature isn't, it refreshes when you press a command button.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #28
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes. You would definitely need a refresh rate of at least 60Hz for decent scrolling. What is the refresh rate of PRS-505? It has to be <= 1Hz.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #29
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
I just got mine PRS-500 about two weeks ago on the sony CC deal. So am I angry? Nah. I don't really care about the new screen or the collections on cards. I'd REALLLY like to see the new file system implemented on the 500 with a firmware update or something, though. That'd be a huuuuge step up.

The next Eink reader I get will be (hopefully) a Jinke V9. 1200x825 in 10" along with support for pretty much every format under the sun without reworking is perfect. If they don't ship overseas, I might have to call my buddy who has friends in Beijing.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #30
out2getu
out2getu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Scrolling basically is an animation that requires a device with a refresh rate screen. Eink in its nature isn't, it refreshes when you press a command button.
Well that answers my question, thanks a bunch. I have the Sony Clie PEG-SJ 22/U and that is the best feature on it. I am just going to save my money for something else then. Thanks a bunch people!
out2getu is offline   Reply With Quote