Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Old Photos

I don't know if there is any interest but I love old photographs. My mother has recently given me a bunch of very old family photos. Here is one of a greatx2 grandmother of mine and, speaking of old photography, she was first cousin to Ernest Bellocq, the photographer of Storyville (her father was Bellocq's mother's brother).

covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I don't know if there is any interest but I love old photographs. My mother has recently given me a bunch of very old family photos. Here is one of a greatx2 grandmother of mine and, speaking of old photography, she was first cousin to Ernest Bellocq, the photographer of Storyville (her father was Bellocq's mother's brother).

it's broken
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's broken
That is so weird. It shows up for me, even when I'm logged out of twitpics. See if the link works and thanks for letting me know.

http://twitpic.com/4blx8a
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
That is so weird. It shows up for me, even when I'm logged out of twitpics. See if the link works and thanks for letting me know.

http://twitpic.com/4blx8a
yep, that works!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Cool pic.

I love old photos. Genealogy is a hobby and I was thrilled when I got a hold of photos of my Great Great Grandparents a couple months ago.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Cool pic.

I love old photos. Genealogy is a hobby and I was thrilled when I got a hold of photos of my Great Great Grandparents a couple months ago.
I know, huh? I was very happy with the photos I got. Did you scan yours? I'd love to see it.

Here's another one, another set of greatx2s http://twitpic.com/52fg32 He was from County Sligo, Ireland and was going to be a priest but went to New Orleans instead. She came to New Orleans from Scotland looking for an older brother after her parents died but she never found him.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you scan yours? I'd love to see it.
I only have the gg grandfather one scanned so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/AnemicOak/WM.jpg

He came to Texas from Nassau (now part of the state of Hesse, Germany) with his parents in 1845/46 and later served with the 36th TX Cavalry in the Civil War.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
I only have the gg grandfather one scanned so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/AnemicOak/WM.jpg

He came to Texas from Nassau (now part of the state of Hesse, Germany) with his parents in 1845/46 and later served with the 36th TX Cavalry in the Civil War.
Cool picture. I love seeing the old clothes, hairstyles, etc. Similar life story to another greatx2 of mine, who came over in 1840 from Ireland with his family, fought in the Washington Artillery in the Civil War, and went into the coffee business and they're both dapper fellows
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Here's a quick scan of the other photo (needs lots of work)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cOak/Petra.jpg
Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Here's a quick scan of the other photo (needs lots of work)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cOak/Petra.jpg
Very nice. Yeah, I don't have photoshopping skills and some of my pics are in pretty bad condition.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I love old photos! Thank you both for sharing those. I have a bunch of old family photos that need to be scanned. The scanner is still in the box and the photos in boxes. I plan on setting up my son's old room to be able to get them all scanned in then to have them printed in one of those online bound books that you can add text descriptions.

A lot of them are starting to turn that funny yellow-orange and a couple have some black spots. I am not super good with photoshop, but may play around with trying to fix some.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I like old photos, too. I recently found one that belonged to my grandmother that had belonged to her father. I remembered that she had told me that it was some relatives of his, but I couldn't remember who. Some searching over at ancestry.com eventually came up with a photo that I could firmly identify as being the old woman in the center of the photo, and from there know that the old man was her husband-- my grandmother's father's grandparents, so my great-great-great grandparents. Ggggrandpaw died in 1895, and was a civil war veteran. Extensive googling didn't turn up the IDs of any of the other 53 people in the photo, but I did find out that the ggggrandparents are buried on what used to be family land but now is a small island in a strip mall parking lot.

http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/l...hugefamily.jpg
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
covingtoncat73
Wizard

That is an interesting old group photo, Ardeegee. I love it.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for sharing that, ardeegee. Isn't it fascinating to see the old photographs/time periods? I love the large family photo and, if I am understanding correctly, it was taken before 1895?

I really need to get mine scanned before they deteriorate even more and we lose our picture into the family past.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I come from several long lines of shutterbugs and married into a family of them. Being one myself, all of the family albums eventually came to rest at my house. I had full albums dating back to the 1910's.

It took me a solid year, but I scanned them all. Evenings, weekends, whenever I had a few minutes. Over 9,000 photos. They were saved to CD's and remained safe in my strongbox during the tornado. YAY!

One of my best work friend's maiden name is Gay. (no jokes, please) My mother's father's mother's maiden name was Gay. We knew it must be related, because they were in the Selma, Ala, region back in the day. She was able to match one of my photos to the people by the same name in one of her mother's albums. So we turned out to be long-lost cousins or something. Astonishing how small the world really is!

On my dad's side a few generations back, we were Strange. It was originally Le Strange, but they Americanized it. All they could come up with was Strange.

So my blood is Gay and Strange!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote