Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
frodon
frodon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Strange problem with new default dictionary not working

Hello,

I am having a strange problem trying to change my default dictionary.

I just got this Portuguese dictionary (http://www.amazon.com/Dicion%C3%A1ri...2747244&sr=8-1)

I go to menu, and select the priberam Portuguese as the primary dictionary.

I go to a Portuguese text and it won't look up with that dictionary. Instead, it starts trying to use a Spanish dictionary I have installed.

I browse the text of the priberam, move my cursor around and, suddenly, I am able to look up words instantly with the piberam dictionary!

So right now the piberam dictionary only works as a default dictionary inside the piberam dictionary. In other texts (even after explicitly setting it as default dictionary), the Kindle will revert to using a Spanish dictionary!

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
frodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kindle can have problems with foreign language dictionaries that are all in the foreign language, ie, Portuguese only & not Portuguese/English. The metadata for your dictionary is most likely entirely in Portuguese - which the Kindle software cannot understand.

I don't know if anyone has had success in changing the metadata in foreign dictionaries so that they can be used as the default dictionary.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
AdrianLesher
AdrianLesher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a different problem with the Priberam Portuguese dictionary. It works very well on some Portuguese texts, but on others the Kindle opts to use the English dictionary. I assume these Portuguese texts have the wrong metadata in them, and the problem is not the dictionary.
AdrianLesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianLesher View Post
I assume these Portuguese texts have the wrong metadata in them, and the problem is not the dictionary.
Given that the dictionary works with other Portuguese texts, I agree that the problem is with metadata. The text and the dictionary should have the same defined language (I've read it on another forum that Calibre leaves the language of the text undefined). Try setting the language in the mobi file to the same language set in the dictionary.

There is this Mobipatch.exe file, which only changes the language to English, Romanian and French http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/557069/ So, you could full the Kindle if you set both the text and the dictionary to Romanian even though it is Portuguese.

I took it from the Russian forum the-ebook.org.

There is a different problem altogether with some other languages. It seems the Kindle does not support pop-up dictionaries for languages such as Russian even if the correct language is set.

Last edited by osnova; 05-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
it is explained in detail in this thread:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ate+dictionary

It's the metadata: there is a dictionary related metadataset (i.e. portuguese-english dictionary) and a normal langauge metadataset (written in english or any other language for that matter)
mobipatch is good for changing the first metadataset...

You probably have problems with the second one.
(kindle chooses the dictionary according to this metadata- if the language is neutral, or the kindle doesn't find a dictionary in this language- it switches to the primary)

you can use the mobi2mobi perl script to change this metadata- (you can look at this metadata with mobipocketreader or mobihandler but not change it)

If you purchased the book from amazon and the metadata doesn't work you probably won't be able to change it because it's encrypted (but I'm not 100% sure), just write to their CS.
I also had the experience, that the metadata of books purchased from amazon is fucked up (bought a german book which says it's english in the metadata)
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert