Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
ywen
ywen doesn't litterywen doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 3g
new Kindle 3 3G user question about overseas use

So I just picked up a 3G Kindle 3 from Target yesterday. Great reading experience so far.

One significant reason for picking up the Kindle is our coming trip to China. I anticipate using the Kindle for travel info reference. Also anticipating using the 3G access to look up tripadvisor.com for local restaurants and wikipedia on travel attractions, as well as gmail...

Given that I'll be in a Chinese city indicated on the Amazon map to have 3G access, will I be able to use wikipedia and use google etc.. ?

I've found some reports of limitation of 3G web access. Not sure if it applies to China.

Thanks.

Last edited by ywen; 04-09-2011 at 12:27 PM.
ywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welcome to the forums ywen! weekends can be kind of dead around here, hopefully someone will wander through eventually and be able to answer your question. I'm not certain how many users we have had in China
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
yes, kindle 3G works in china, I used it before it Beijing and Shanghai ...
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
ywen

stjoe: it works for general web browsing without the limitation to amazon store and wikipedia?

How accurate is the amazon coverage map? Is it really only within the city limits? Have you used it during cross country train rides? Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Used mine in China, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Beijing and Shanghai - all fine, plus Taiwan and S Korea so far.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
yup .. i could use 3G when i was in beijing and shanghai without any limitation .. even went shanghai suburb still could use it .. not sure though if on train ride between cities ..
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
ywen

awesome thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Amazon indicates that there is a $5 a month charge to extend your 3G coverage to international. I haven't tried it, but you might want to contact Amazon about coverage.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Amazon indicates that there is a $5 a month charge to extend your 3G coverage to international. I haven't tried it, but you might want to contact Amazon about coverage.

cheers
Where do they say this? 3G coverage is international, without having to pay anything extra, to the best of my knowledge. I've used my (UK) 3G Kindle in numerous countries and not had to pay anything to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the information somewhere on their site when I was looking at news publications. Will go back and see if I can find it again. I wonder if it applies only to U.S. purchased Kindles (or possibly to only to periodicals). It is an interesting question for which I would love to have a definitive answer.

cheers
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Leep
Guru

Here is the item I found re charges for whispernet from U.S. Apparently it applies to personal documents.

Quote:
U.S. Customers Accessing Whispernet Outside the United States
Kindle (Free 3G) customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly receive periodicals via Whispernet for a fee or transfer files from their computer for free.

International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content via Whispernet for a weekly fee of $4.99.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
ywen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Here is the item I found re charges for whispernet from U.S. Apparently it applies to personal documents.
personal documents sent over whispernet over 3g is never free. Not even in the US or UK
Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True. Web browsing, however, is always free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote