Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #211
mb8312
mb8312 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
version 3.2.1 is working perfect on my DXG. I used the v 1.0 pack. Thanks a lot.
what's your host model ? kindle 3 wifi or wifi + 3g ?
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #212
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Yes it is possible. Take a look at development forums.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #213
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Also i found a strange problem, I don't know if this has been found before or not.

After succesfully registering my kindle DXG with 3.2.1, i redownloaded some of my books from my amazon account which i am pretty sure have page numbers on kindle 3.

Page numbers didn't show on Kindle DXG, just locations. Is this the same for everyone?

Also i am encountering the slow wake-up problem (about 6-7 seconds), but i don't think it is a big problem.

Thanks to yifanlu for making this possible. I am enjoying darkened PDFs, sans serif font, Turkish characters in MOBIs which weren't possible with 2.5.8 and a superior browser now.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #214
mb8312
mb8312 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, paperwhite, Sony T3
host kindle used for making it work.

Quote:
Yes it is possible. Take a look at development forums.
what's the kindle 3 model you used for making the 3.1 upgrade ?
is it Kindle 3 Wifi only or
Kindle 3 Wifi + 3G model ?
mb8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #215
Fabula
Fabula began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Well, I think I installed 3.1 correctly on my DXG 2.5.8. Still having a few problems though, and there's a good chance it's just because I'm missing something.

1. I can't get the female voice to work. Is the female voice is a hopeless endeavor on the DXG due to ram? That's fine, I just want to verify.

2. The male voice is crackly, so is the music, and so is mplayer when I installed it. The crazy thing is, with some of the sound (most noticeably the Kindle player), the crackling continues even after the music is over. I have to reset my Kindle to get the popping sounds to cease. Anyone else having that problem or has anyone found a solution?

3. I'm with reprep; I only see locations and no page numbers.

4. I live in the middle of the country and have had poor 3g service most of the time, but now I wonder if that's still the reason or if the update is affecting my net. When I try to load a page it loads part and then says "Page Cannot Be Loaded" or something of the sort. Since some of it loads, I'm inclined to believe it's just that service stinks here and not a fault in the program.

Please share your thoughts. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has some tips for me. Thanks!
Fabula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #216
Fabula

Concerning page numbers: I didn't realize only some books offer them. So, I guess that's one issue out of the way.

I still can't seem to find a book that displays page numbers. Anyone know a free one that has page numbers for sure and can be used as a demonstration to confirm page numbers are fully supported for my Kindle DXG.

Last edited by Fabula; 06-05-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #217
reprep
Addict

Hi Fabula,

1) Read the readme file in the yifanlu's pack for further info on female voice

2) I didn't listen to music on my kindle yet so i can't answer this.

3) You should see something like that on Amazon page for books which have page numbers: Page Numbers Source ISBN: blabla. For example "The Hunger Games" have page numbers on kindle 3 but not on Kindle DXG with 3.2.1. "Hybrid" on Amazon too has page numbers. You can try it for free for US store.

4) Well, my Kindle DXG's 3G performance has increased after updating. I know it sounds a bit weird. But i used to connect with EDGE on my work with 2.5.8 but now i connect with 3G and the speed is surely better with 3.2.1. Also the experimental browser is undoubtedly much better than 2.5.8.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #218
Fabula

Thanks for your comments, reprep.

When I updated, I followed the readme file and had the included tts-files.tar file on my Kindle, yet still, the female voice played nothing. Is it too late to update again with the unpacked .tar files or would that make any difference? How would I upgrade to install those files after I've already upgraded to 3.1? Also, the unpacked .tar file is called Data, and there are files in that. Should the files within be on the root of the Kindle or should the "Data" file be on the root directory? Sorry, I'm not sure if that makes sense completely, but I'm trying to eliminate all possible errors.
From reading DickFix's posts, I concluded that the female voice still has problems on the DXG, but he got the voice to play. Yifanlu mentioned access to the FAT is slow, so maybe it's not worth the hassle at all; I just figured I had room to spare so I'd include the female voice too.

Why would some books have page numbers on the Kindle 3 but not on the DXG if the DXG has been upgraded? Not that it matters too much, just makes me rather curious.

Anyone else have comments on the audio features crackling, continuing to crackle, even with the male voice and mplayer?

***EDIT***
Never mind on the female voice. I got it! I didn't update again; I just loaded the data file to the root without updating and tried it out. I got an error message the first time, but the second time it worked, but it does pause between certain sentences. This, I suspect is what yifanlu's means when he mentioned access to the fat is slow.

Last edited by Fabula; 06-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #219
reprep
Addict

yes, male voice crackles on my kindle too. I rarely use TTS at all so no problem for me.

The page number issue is weird. I don't know the reason. Here is some more details about the issue.

Normaly on 2.5.8 on kindle DXG you see the percentage and location at the bottom line.

But on 3.1 on kindle 3 you just see the percentage at the bottom line. You have to press the Menu button to see the location (always) and the page number (where available)

But on 3.2.1 on kindle DXG you again just see the percentage at the bottom line. And when you press the Menu button you always see only the location whether the book has the page numbers or not. I guess the same problem on Active Content cause this problem too. My guess is there is some kind of extra verification for the kindle model and this fails with the DXG on both active content and page numbers. Of course that is just a wild guess.

Last edited by reprep; 06-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #220
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Quote:
But on 3.2.1 on kindle DXG you again just see the percentage at the bottom line. And when you press the Menu button you always see only the location whether the book has the page numbers or not. I guess the same problem on Active Content cause this problem too. My guess is there is some kind of extra verification for the kindle model and this fails with the DXG on both active content and page numbers. Of course that is just a wild guess.
I run firmware 3.1 on my DXG and page numbers seems to work on the books that have them. Strange that 3.2.1 on DXG should be different. By the way, is there anyone who knows what is new with firmware 3.2.1 compared with 3.1 except that it requires a new jailbreak?
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #221
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
In the diagnostic mode I compared the current consumption of the Kindle. It seems that the audio not only has operational problems on the DXG on firmware 3.1. The audio also consumes around 90 mA more with firmware 3.1 compared with firmware 2.5.8. It is alarming.

Kindle model/fw G3/3.1 DXG/3.1 DXG/2.5.8
Test progran name Shasta NELL-WW NELL-WW
Test version v. 5.22 v.5.22 v. 3.5.8
No WAN, no audio: 28.2 mA 23 mA 23 mA
WAN on, Audio on: 129.2mA 253 mA 163 mA
WAN off, Audio on: 88.2mA 217 mA 131 mA
Sleep, WAN on: 1.43mA Error N.A.

I have noticed that sleep mode of the Kindle DXG with wireless on seems to draw a lot of current. I didn´t measure it since I didn´t want to open the Kindle and the diagnostics mode could measure it only on the Kindle 3. Any ideas.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #222
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
See if using /use/sbin/powerd and /etc/powerd.conf.* from 2.5.8 changes anything.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #223
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
See if using /use/sbin/powerd and /etc/powerd.conf.* from 2.5.8 changes anything.
I lack the female voice of tts. Could you share it with me? thanks!
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #224
reprep
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
In the diagnostic mode I compared the current consumption of the Kindle. It seems that the audio not only has operational problems on the DXG on firmware 3.1. The audio also consumes around 90 mA more with firmware 3.1 compared with firmware 2.5.8. It is alarming.

Kindle model/fw G3/3.1 DXG/3.1 DXG/2.5.8
Test progran name Shasta NELL-WW NELL-WW
Test version v. 5.22 v.5.22 v. 3.5.8
No WAN, no audio: 28.2 mA 23 mA 23 mA
WAN on, Audio on: 129.2mA 253 mA 163 mA
WAN off, Audio on: 88.2mA 217 mA 131 mA
Sleep, WAN on: 1.43mA Error N.A.

I have noticed that sleep mode of the Kindle DXG with wireless on seems to draw a lot of current. I didn´t measure it since I didn´t want to open the Kindle and the diagnostics mode could measure it only on the Kindle 3. Any ideas.
Does kindle DXG consume less power than kindle 3 when both the wireless and the audio is off? It seems weird.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #225
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I think I figured out why active content doesn't work. The old 2.5.8 and the new 3.0 uses different active content "format". So there are active content designed for 2.x and 3.x. When you download it, amazon chooses automatically based on your device. Unfortunately, they don't support 3.x on DX or k2, so you get the 2.x version. The only way to bypass it is to 1) change your serial number to a kindle 3 device or 2) download it for another kindle 3, and remove the drm.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote