Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
SeaTurtle
SeaTurtle doesn't litterSeaTurtle doesn't litter

Device: None Yet
Kobo vs. Kindle

I will be moving back to Canada next month. I am currently living in the US.

I want to buy an e-reader but I cannot figure out which one is best for me. I am not so technically advanced that I could even pretend to have the level of knowledge that many of you on these boards do!

What I have figured out so far - the Nook is a bad choice if I will be living in Canada because of copyright laws and many ebooks are not available to people living in Canada? (am I wrong??)

The Kobo is a reasonable choice? Do they have a lot of titles available and are the prices for the ebooks comparable to those I would find for Barnes and Noble ebooks here in the US?

All I want to be able to do is get the ebooks on to the ereader - I don't want or need additional 3G - we will have wireless capabilities at our house and I can download ebooks to the computer there and sideload (is that the correct term?) to the ereader.

What does the Kobo screen look like when you are trying to read in sunlight? Is it easy to read? As good as Kindle?

Can I purchase ebooks for Kobo on Amazon in Canada? Would Kindle be the better choice? Can you get ebooks from the library for either of these ereaders? (provided the library has them available? _ I will be living in Toronto area).

I have read that the Kobo can be very slow. What is your opinion?

If I am buying a Kindle here in the US is it configured any differently than one I might buy in Canada? I guess I am just thinking of Black Friday sales and that the Kindle might be on sale somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I appreciate it.
SeaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While the Kindle looks like a great product to me, I would suggest that you get a device that supports epub (a Kobo or a Sony 350 / 650) if you plan on using the Toronto or Mississauga library system to borrow books on your ebook reader for free; you'd have to look into it, but I believe that most of their books are in epub format. Also, I think that more Canadian content is available in epub format than in the Kindle (mobi) formats, so that is also something to consider. I'd prefer a Sony 650 to the Kobo, it has the new Pearl screen (as does the Kindle) with greater contrast, as well as a touch screen and 12 dictionaries (English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish) included.

Not that I think the Kindle (or the Kobo, for that matter) is a poor choice; I think that you will be happy with any ebook reader, to be honest. The Kindle has a great screen, and makes buying books very easy with their wi-fi and 3g. For library books, however, devices that support epub seem to have the edge, and as you will be living near Toronto you might want to take advantage of that.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
There was a pretty good discussion of question in two differents threads:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106453

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104769

I have both a Kobo 1 and a Kindle 3. I prefer the Kindle for reasons that you'll read in the thread. That said, I liked the Kobo 1 when I bought it. Used it for about a month until I found a used Kindle 3 for a good price. My wife still uses the Kobo and has no complaints.

Last edited by wildstar; 11-18-2010 at 05:43 PM.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote